Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong (Read 52393 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

Reply #135
[7]   Conclusion:
For all of the bad things, and there were many, we still lost by a relatively small margin. And, had we been able to kick straight, we could have done them in. It suggests that we are doing some things right. Judd, for example, was brilliant.

Thought Judd lowered his colours which doesnt happen often and Guthrie both held him and flogged us when he had the ball....Juddy didnt pick him up at any stage and allowed him to get the footy too often..
I'm probably a bit different with regards Judd's future and I think he needs to retire at years end and let Cripps, Bell, Graham etc take over and it may force them to step up....we are over reliant on Judd and I expect teams to now try and exploit him by playing more talented players on him rather than going purely negative..
Fair call. I was very disappointed in the way that nobody picked up Guthrie early. He really hurt us when he was running free. He barely had a possession after half time, but the damage had been done.
In a lot of ways I hope they do take Judd on: he showed on Selwood that in a contest between them was a win for Judd. It may allow a good player to run freely sometimes, one of my criticisms of Judd was his relative inability to pick up his man, but it does free Judd up to do some serious damage.
I don't think Malthouse will allow anyone to run around on Judd: he likes to have the best mid tagged out (pity we can't manage it all of time, but that is another issue).

I really do think Judd can go on. I just don't think he will.

As for our midfield, yes, we do have to learn to survive and prosper without Judd. However, I am looking for a replacement, our next star mid and I cannot see him on our list at present. We have a lot of 'good, ordinary players', some real good troopers. But we do need to have a champion or 2. Gibbs stepped up last year. But we still need real pace in our centre square unit.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #136
We remain steadfastly set down written in stone as the worst ball users by foot in the competition.

Opposition clubs know that with every forced kick Carlton are 50/50 or better chance of losing possession, while the benchmark clubs like the Dawks or Swans retain the ball and cut through opponents.

All the effort, exposure, endeavour, stepping up, efforts, and application won't help us unless we find some blokes who are smart ball users and can kick accurately.
I think our newer Blues are better kicks than some of the guys who have gone, but we do retain a few guys whose kicking is their Achilles' Heel. Casboult sticks out, but he is not alone. It probably looks worse for the way we aim to move the move the ball. Our forwards don't lead much: we try to kick the ball over their heads so they fall back to take the marks. I would much rather us determine to be always in front and to kick the ball in front of them more. It works for Geelong.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #137
[7]   Conclusion:
For all of the bad things, and there were many, we still lost by a relatively small margin. And, had we been able to kick straight, we could have done them in. It suggests that we are doing some things right. Judd, for example, was brilliant.

Thought Judd lowered his colours which doesnt happen often and Guthrie both held him and flogged us when he had the ball....Juddy didnt pick him up at any stage and allowed him to get the footy too often..
I'm probably a bit different with regards Judd's future and I think he needs to retire at years end and let Cripps, Bell, Graham etc take over and it may force them to step up....we are over reliant on Judd and I expect teams to now try and exploit him by playing more talented players on him rather than going purely negative..
Fair call. I was very disappointed in the way that nobody picked up Guthrie early. He really hurt us when he was running free. He barely had a possession after half time, but the damage had been done.
In a lot of ways I hope they do take Judd on: he showed on Selwood that in a contest between them was a win for Judd. It may allow a good player to run freely sometimes, one of my criticisms of Judd was his relative inability to pick up his man, but it does free Judd up to do some serious damage.
I don't think Malthouse will allow anyone to run around on Judd: he likes to have the best mid tagged out (pity we can't manage it all of time, but that is another issue).

I really do think Judd can go on. I just don't think he will.

As for our midfield, yes, we do have to learn to survive and prosper without Judd. However, I am looking for a replacement, our next star mid and I cannot see him on our list at present. We have a lot of 'good, ordinary players', some real good troopers. But we do need to have a champion or 2. Gibbs stepped up last year. But we still need real pace in our centre square unit.

Guthrie was moved to half back after half time as part of his education according to Chris Scott....interesting too that Judd spent time forward in the 2nd half and won some footy
but couldnt convert on any long range shots as he seems to have lost some depth in his kicking..
I see Cripps taking Judds role as the inside bigger extractor but without the breakaway speed...

Reply #138
That was the attempt in the 1st or second quarter. I think it was the 1st. Lazy practice teaches lazy as a way of life. Sure you don't have to completely take a guys head off but Daisy wouldn't have even put a twig like Garlett off with that attempt. Guthrie made our blokes look weak in body, slow by foot, and a lack of awareness from what I saw.

I have read the previous posts, but after watching the game there are some sugar coated reports on player performances. Not to worry as we need to see round one against Richmond. I am starting to worry about this first match.

Tigers will start favourites and Nick Bowen in his AFL preview of our season predicted us to finish 14th...so we are underdogs going into the game which isnt a bad thing IMO.
I dont rate Richmond at all and would be very dissapointed if we lost to them...

Really? Didn't they win 11 straight or something like that (including Sydney round 23)? No way we could've done the same thing.

They did win a string of games and beat the Swans but I still dont rate them...played above themselves IMO.......if we cannot beat them in round 1 then
its going to be a long season...

And Nick Bowen's prophesying may well come true.

14th ? God, is that how the outside world sees us ?

Reply #139

If not lower Paul, if not lower  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #140

Really ? That low ?? Lets see if we can prove them all wrong. There are many areas we can improve on, so we can't be all that bad. Just need the best attitude to get the season rolling.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #142
That was the attempt in the 1st or second quarter. I think it was the 1st. Lazy practice teaches lazy as a way of life. Sure you don't have to completely take a guys head off but Daisy wouldn't have even put a twig like Garlett off with that attempt. Guthrie made our blokes look weak in body, slow by foot, and a lack of awareness from what I saw.

I have read the previous posts, but after watching the game there are some sugar coated reports on player performances. Not to worry as we need to see round one against Richmond. I am starting to worry about this first match.

Tigers will start favourites and Nick Bowen in his AFL preview of our season predicted us to finish 14th...so we are underdogs going into the game which isnt a bad thing IMO.
I dont rate Richmond at all and would be very dissapointed if we lost to them...

Really? Didn't they win 11 straight or something like that (including Sydney round 23)? No way we could've done the same thing.

They did win a string of games and beat the Swans but I still dont rate them...played above themselves IMO.......if we cannot beat them in round 1 then
its going to be a long season...

And Nick Bowen's prophesying may well come true.

Do you not speak to supporters of other Clubs? Yes thats how they se us. We have become "irrelevant" and have a lot of work to do regain the respect of other Clubs. Once feared, now laughed at.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #143
The turn around we need to do to become relevant again can be done, just look at Port and Hawthorn.
They were both push over teams for a while then after some shrewd management become a force again.
I think shrewd management might be the key here, hopefully with our new leaders things will change.
But if we had won those close ones last year or that final against Sydney was played on a decent ground or that umpiring decision in Perth in that final went our way then we would be sitting in a very different place right now.
Good TEAM management and a good ounce of luck to finally go our way then....Happy Days :)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #144

The afl.com.au crew are predicting the Suns to finish 7th.

Sigh.

I was listening to a SA radio station a couple of weeks ago and they had the Suns in the 4  :o

They did say that there was often a team that performed beyond expectations and I reckon that will be us - touch wood!

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #145
I have no problem coming into the season as underdogs. Hopefully we have been truly underestimated by the footy pundits and can deliver a big surprise!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146

Yes, the idea that one of our 'good, ordinary players' will step up to fill the void when Judd retires is fanciful.  The club needs to do everything it can to convince him to keep going for another couple of years.  It should also be doing everything it can to find a star midfielder to take his place.

As for our 'good, ordinary players', Bell and Cripps look like they are ready to take the next step.

i really don't get the criticism of Bell  ???

Reply #147
I have no problem coming into the season as underdogs. Hopefully we have been truly underestimated by the footy pundits and can deliver a big surprise!

With you there, Fluffy Biscuit. We actually seem to be 'on the nose' with most 'experts.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #148
I do not take too much notice of these ladder predictions because a lot of them were done months ago and based on last years results. David King had Carlton nearly last while Gerald Healey thinks that Carlton might be in the eight. King said that was unfair because he had done his months ago while Healey was doing his just then.

Look at Port in 2013 where nearly all predicted it to finish last. Port finished seventh and won a final. What had they done to improve that much in the space of 6 months? Not because of a couple of newbies like Wingard and Wines, nor average trade ins like Moncrief, White and Schulz (That's what we were told), nor Kane Cornes, the old has been. What they had done was to instil confidence and belief in themselves and trust in the club.

Reply #149
I do not take too much notice of these ladder predictions because a lot of them were done months ago and based on last years results. David King had Carlton nearly last while Gerald Healey thinks that Carlton might be in the eight. King said that was unfair because he had done his months ago while Healey was doing his just then.

Look at Port in 2013 where nearly all predicted it to finish last. Port finished seventh and won a final. What had they done to improve that much in the space of 6 months? Not because of a couple of newbies like Wingard and Wines, nor average trade ins like Moncrief, White and Schulz (That's what we were told), nor Kane Cornes, the old has been. What they had done was to instil confidence and belief in themselves and trust in the club.

It's all in the head at this level......no question. Think you're the best and have that incessant will to win - you will win.
Finals, then 4 in a row!