Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton pasted by Pies (Post Game) (Read 77912 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton pasted by Pies (Post Game)

Reply #255
Gibbs is a talented player and as he showed last season he is capable of being harder and capable in contests...I just get the feeling he has decided this season is lost, rebuilding isnt part of his brief and he isnt going to knock himself out playing with a team that will be bottom four  most likely...

If we win some games and improve I reckon Gibbs will see some light and lift his workrate and contesting.....but if not he will just coast along like he has been doing...

x3. This looks a very likely mindset. It would make more sense than to think there is something physically wrong with him. It also explains why he isn't trying to impress his coaching staff. However Murphy and at least a dozen others look like they have put their cue back in the rack for the season too. How damaging for a winning culture is it to let this information to get into the hands of the media ?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #256
While I don't completely disagree

What happens if we ask the question and get an almost 50/50 split Thry

Then you need to make a decision based upon what Mick is capable of doing, acknowledging who said yay and nay.

Voss got sacked to Brisbanes detriment.   They have lost a few talented blokes for not much compensation and all in one hit. Despite having recruited well, it appears as though they are going to struggle for a while.

I actually think that the only way forward is to back in the coach actually.   It will make a statement of you are with us or gone.

But I don't know the full story.

My gut says that we need to come through something like this and come out the other side relatively unscathed with people all buying in and the only way to get there is to truly act united as it sends the message that you are in, with us or not. 

I can't see how you can spruik the United message, then sack the coach because of what appears to be disunity.  United means together through thick and thin.

You could equally cut the coach loose and hire a new bloke, but you would have to search rigorously, put a five year contract on the table with no ifs buts or maybes and never resort to.sacking that coach in order to make the same statement.

I'd rather extend Malthouse for two than the alternative.   We have very poor judgement at selecting the right person for this sort of job, and I can't see a five year contract ending well.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #257
The problem is now though that folk are so disillusioned with the leadership of the club that they have no faith in the messages that are being put out.

The talk of a rebuild seems to have sucked the life out of the place....not the least amongst the playing group.

The question of the coaching position hasn't been resolved or settled by this "rebuild declaration" as some suggested it would be (at least for the remainder of this season)....if anything it's increased speculation.

Unity can't come from our (the supporter) level....it doesn't work like that....we don't have the ability to "steer the ship."

It has to come from a spark or an inspiration from above that tells us that this is someone or some group worth uniting behind.

So far I don't believe anyone is showing us anything of the kind

Reply #258
The problem is now though that folk are so disillusioned with the leadership of the club that they have no faith in the messages that are being put out.

The talk of a rebuild seems to have sucked the life out of the place....not the least amongst the playing group.

The question of the coaching position hasn't been resolved or settled by this "rebuild declaration" as some suggested it would be (at least for the remainder of this season)....if anything it's increased speculation.

Unity can't come from our (the supporter) level....it doesn't work like that....we don't have the ability to "steer the ship."

It has to come from a spark or an inspiration from above that tells us that this is someone or some group worth uniting behind.

Agree....Rebuild is like saying we are in limbo for 3-5 years,....its all about how you sell it...Bulldogs are rebuilding but all I hear is exciting youngsters...you never read or hear the  dreaded" rebuild" term...

Reply #259

Yep, we require strong leadership at the club.

We want to emulate Port Adelaide without the Kochie element which is change the coach.

Spells danger imho.

We forget that Port still have players representing their club that played in their last premiership.  They have roots of the right stuff there, and the coach that was in charge prior to Hinkley was also a bloke who played in a flag, and actually laid a fair bit of a foundation with them before he started.  Ironically we thought we had similar with Ratten, but clearly he wasn't allowed to do the coaching role as a senior coach should have, and perhaps that is ultimately why our playing group's developement stalled.  History appears to be repeating itself.  2.3 years into a senior coaches tenure.  We have the barebones of a new list and a game plan and we feel we should change direction for some reason, probably more to do with the ego of our footy club than the actual place we are in. 

Paul Hewson

Reply #260
Primus never played in a flag Thry, he was injured for the latter part of his career. He certainly didn't lay any foundations for Hinkley either the team were an embarrassment under him and going backwards at a rate of knots.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #261
Primus never played in a flag Thry, he was injured for the latter part of his career. He certainly didn't lay any foundations for Hinkley either the team were an embarrassment under him and going backwards at a rate of knots.

Apologies, he was captain at the time, so given he was part of the leadership group of a premiership team I didnt fact check.

Still it proves that he was part of a team, and the leadership group of a team, that had what it takes.

Now whether or not he didnt or did lay the foundation for Hinkley is up for debate, but I feel its folly to give Hinkley the plaudits, for a side that Primus had worked with for two years prior to him taking over.

Particularly Chad Wingard.

Paul Hewson

Reply #262
Now whether or not he didnt or did lay the foundation for Hinkley is up for debate, but I feel its folly to give Hinkley the plaudits, for a side that Primus had worked with for two years prior to him taking over.

Are we going to credit Mick's first 2 flags to Todd and his first two GFs at Collingwood to Shaw?

Both those were pretty soon after taking over.

Reply #263
We have gone so far off topic on this thread. 

Reply #264
Are we going to credit Mick's first 2 flags to Todd and his first two GFs at Collingwood to Shaw?

Both those were pretty soon after taking over.

When I say the plaudits, I say all the plaudits.

IMHO, a player will get bits and pieces from every coach they work under across the journey and usually the bloke they work with the most will have the most input in what they are like as a player.

It can be argued that many of them gain more through junior footy than they will at senior level with the only thing really changing them there being proffesional athlete status.

Pagan and Ratten are as responsible for the apathy that many of our players show today (if they were coached by them) as Malthouse.

Paul Hewson

Reply #265
Apologies, he was captain at the time, so given he was part of the leadership group of a premiership team I didnt fact check.

Still it proves that he was part of a team, and the leadership group of a team, that had what it takes.

Particularly Chad Wingard.

Haha mate seriously you speak some absolute boloney sometimes. Give Primus credit for what Hinkley has done? Your cred mate not mine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #266
We have gone so far off topic on this thread.

You want to talk about this match??  ;D
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #267
Pagan and Ratten are as responsible for the apathy that many of our players show today (if they were coached by them) as Malthouse.

We pay Mick to fix it, not add to it.