Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem (Read 47467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem

Reply #105
It's no longer about the stoppages and clearances anymore. It's about creating pressure on the stoppages and launching quick from half back.

Yet we are playing 2010 football, where contested ball was king and two taggers was the norm.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #106
It's no longer about the stoppages and clearances anymore. It's about creating pressure on the stoppages and launching quick from half back.

Yet we are playing 2010 football, where contested ball was king and two taggers was the norm.

That launching isn't quite coming to fruition. When we do launch we find not a soul in the 50 to kick to so we have to stop. I saw that a few times.

Reply #107
Wood was ordinary, Casboult did a good job on the ball and up forward, which is a tough gig.

We won the clearances again though. We win that every week, won the contested possession, 1%'ers again. Although good but totally amounts to nothing when when you badly structured and have no run.

I have been saying this about the Warnock situation for the last five years, players who are traffic cones combined with an outdated game plan are worthless in 2015. Yet already some fans want Warnock back next week, they can't see the forest for the trees! Do they wonder why Martin was the Lions top rated player, because those stats he gathers count more than taps which from an effectiveness perspective he lost! But he gets 19 disposals and 5 marks, if we combined Wood and Casboult they just break even with him!

Better to lose the clearances and win everywhere else, Kreuzer and Hampson were our number 1 ruck combo for 1 very good reason, mobility. Kreuzer and Hampson use to rove to each other inside F50, both kicked goals roving to the others ruck work. We didn't need marking or goal kicking from rucks just getting a contest was enough. So we took a great ruck division and de-constructed it because they were NBG as KPFs, hunging onto and recruiting a bunch of dud forwards by weakening our ruck division.

And people seriously think Warnock is a solution with Casboult rucking, really?

The sad thing is three or four years ago we were winning clearances and competitive(admittedly inconsistently) everywhere else.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
That launching isn't quite coming to fruition. When we do launch we find not a soul in the 50 to kick to so we have to stop. I saw that a few times.

And then get cut up going the other way... I wonder who's fault that could be?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #109
I look at the stats and I can't see how we lost. We had the better players for most of the game. We took out their better players, especially guys like Rockliff who have hurt us before.
Green kicks 3 goals with about 4 kicks. McStay kicks 4 and could have had more: we didn't defend the goal line well at all.
We need to start showing some heart. Badly.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #110
I look at the stats and I can't see how we lost. We had the better players for most of the game. We took out their better players, especially guys like Rockliff who have hurt us before.
Green kicks 3 goals with about 4 kicks. McStay kicks 4 and could have had more: we didn't defend the goal line well at all.
We need to start showing some heart. Badly.

Poor delivery to a group of forwards who aren't that great.
We'll get cameos like Casboult today..but we need consistent multiple goal scorers

Just a small thing....but it's probably a symptom of the individuality of the team.
Cripps is really good at getting the ball out, but on a couple of occasions today he found himself wrestling with team-mates for possession in a contest.
As a result the ball went nowhere.
Step aside and let the kid have the ball. ;)

Reply #111
Poor delivery to a group of forwards who aren't that great.
We'll get cameos like Casboult today..but we need consistent multiple goal scorers

Just a small thing....but it's probably a symptom of the individuality of the team.
Cripps is really good at getting the ball out, but on a couple of occasions today he found himself wrestling with team-mates for possession in a contest.
As a result the ball went nowhere.
Step aside and let the kid have the ball. ;)

Somehow despite the fact we can't hit targets by foot, we are going to hear that we are much better than this but our game plan loses us games.

Not that we can't handle the press pressure when the tackling goes up.

Not that we can't stop opponents from scoring.

Not that we can't convert forward entries to scoring opportunities.

Not that we don't communicate well on the park.

It's the gameplan that makes them do all the above, and the coach is the reason.

We were in front for most of the game despite the gameplan being awful though because we are just that good we choose to switch on and off, and never back on again.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #112
We let their smaller players find free space in their forward 50m as Collingwood did. Their tall forwards watched the ball coming in while our defenders watched them and not the ball. Thus they beat us in contested and uncontested marks in their forward 50m and converted with goals. we failed to convert on the score board. We lacked players on a lead. We didn't have small forwards at the fall of the ball when our talls took a leap for a mark. Two players in front of the contest and a small player behind the contest. We had our small forwards stagnant. No real movement where a contest was ready to spill the ball. Tackle pressure was weak to keep the ball locked in the forward 50m. Lacked run back to defend. How many times I saw players not have their hands in the air for the man on the mark made me laugh. How many times I saw a player give up a chase because it looked like hard work made me furious. How many times I saw our players expect another team mate do the work on their behalf was just criminal. How many times we just bombed the ball to no space was a joke.

We kicked the ball in any direction, just to get a disposal. Without even looking where the kick was going. We always looked sideways from D50m to pass the ball first. If there was no option we looked backwards next. We never looked forwards as a first option. If we did we just bombed it to a contest. Which was either 3 to 2 or 3 to 1 to their advantage. Or to kick it long to our player all of 5 foot 10 to their ruck, or a player of 190cm plus. Never to our advantage. Our style of play is what I expected from GCS in their first season. An inexperienced side with no belief or confidence in their ability. The only thing worse is the fact that we are scared to run and carry the ball.

Don't go through the corridor. Chip it around the boundary. Wait for an opportunity that will not present. Then just boot the ball anywhere. Usually straight into their hands. This isn't footy in my opinion. This is either kick to kick in your local streets footy. Or just trying to play keepings off footy. Even watching the little league kids during the break showed kids spoiling, hands high when a marked ball is being kicked to spoil and tackles that stuck. All from kids at about 8 years of age. Everything we did was wrong in terms of effort, intensity, common sense, and wanting to win a game at any cost. Coach sacked or entire playing list traded. Not Levi, Bell and Docherty on todays efforts. The rest can just f@ck off. Sorry Chris you have carried us too long. You should have retired at the end of the season.

We will never learn to stand on our own 2 feet until you leave. It breaks my heart to say it but you are holding back the club because too many passengers still expect you to win every game off your own boot and carry this squad. How f@cking sad is that. Mick, please go write another book and leave us to pick up the pieces. The boys don't want you any more. We will find a trade for some but struggle to get much in return for many.  Nuff said, I need another drink. >:(
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #113
Obviously a very disappointing day, however we need to bear in mind that the team will look very different in three or four weeks with the likely re-introduction of all of Yarran, Jamieson, Henderson, Simpson, Kreuzer, Menzel, Byrne (thought he looked good) & potentially Warnock.

Along with unacceptable performances from Bryce Gibbs and Liam Jones, there were simply too many critical turnovers in defence from Buckley, Rowe, Jaksch and Walker today. As painful as it was to watch, I couldn't help but think that we will soon be able to replace Buckley, Rowe & Jaksch with Yarran, Henderson & Jamison respectively, with our pre-season Champion Liam Jones making way for Kreuzer or Menzel.

Today we played with a spine of Rowe, Jaksch, Cripps, Casboult & Jones and in a couple of weeks this is likely to read Jamison, Henderson, Cripps, Kreuzer, Casboult. And, it will be nice to replace Buckley & Walker with Simpson and Yarran, who are cleaner by hand and foot. The changes will also allow Walker to play a third tall forward alongside Casboult & Kreuzer.

Call me crazy, but I think we'll be hard to beat in a fortnight or so.

Reply #114
Thry, the game plan makes everything difficult for us. We get no easy ball, it's all grinding, scrappy hard stuff. 3 years, FA uncontested marks, FA uncontested possessions. Our forward line clogged, our D50 full of space and one-on-one contests, sometimes with a giant on a midget (this week it was Murphy on Leuenberger).

We were playing man-on-man at a kick-out FFS.

Reply #115

Call me crazy, but I think we'll be hard to beat in a fortnight or so.
Ok I wont call you crazy...is lunatic ok? ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #116
Thry, the game plan makes everything difficult for us. We get no easy ball, it's all grinding, scrappy hard stuff. 3 years, FA uncontested marks, FA uncontested possessions. Our forward line clogged, our D50 full of space and one-on-one contests, sometimes with a giant on a midget (this week it was Murphy on Leuenberger).

We were playing man-on-man at a kick-out FFS.

So a function of our game plan is to pass to opposition players?

There is no way shape or form that our game plan is to play kicking the ball to our opponents.

Nor is any real game plan based on bombing long.

That's your get out of jail hail Mary hit and hope, and we do it frequently because we don't pass the ball to each others advantage and we don't work hard enough for our teamates.

Teams cut up through the wings because there is usually space to work there whilst the corridor is more heavily guarded.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #118
That game has to be a coach killer.

There were positives in terms of our future
- Bell (love this kid)
- Cripps (will be a gun)
- Smith ( Still very raw but when he adds some polish he will be an excitement machine)
- Docherty ( Will be a 200+ game star)
- Levi ( kicks straight and he's a weapon)
-Wood (has a crack)

That's $hithouse Carlton
- Walker (finished)
- Jones ( spud)
- Daisy (should have kept Eddie)
- Murphy /Gibbs ( Base contract performances this season)
- Whiley (on a hiding to nothing thus far)

Simply under performing
- Jaksch
- Buckley
- Tuohy
- Boekhorst
- Armfield
- Everitt
- Curnow
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #119
What's wrong with this picture?