Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 48343 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #195
Levi is a coach killer...he can take 10 marks and you would eb lucky to see 2 goals next to his name, Everitt is everything you say, lazy, just wants easy ball, takes his eyes offf the footy when theri is heat in the area but if you give him 4 marks near goal he will kick three goals....

Levi will stay in the team by default for a while but he has to go..I'd rather see Jaksch developed as a leading FF and McKay as our CHF and have Philips or Gorrings as the 2nd ruckman....

Everitt will be traded out IMO at seasons end....

Could've traded Everitt last year but didn't. Thing is he hits the scoreboard more than any player we have. We've become a laughing stock giving away our goalkickers so best not give any more away. Everitt, for all his faults, could kick 30-40, especially in a side better than last year. You won't give that away for anything. He did play 3 finals in 2013 and went well.

Casboult does plenty of good things. If he could only get his kicking even half right (take "half right" as he's never going to be a great kick from 25m) then he could do some damage as he is always going to takes marks and get a few shots at goal. Changes so much if he could as that's 2-3 goals. Maybe if he marks 20m out he can go back and kick it from 50m...lol. He's pretty good from out there. Eventually the likes of McKay, Jaksch and C.Curnow will take over but that's a couple of years away in a couple of those cases. By then Casboult might have over 100 games, with good service, a bonus for a key forward taken way down the rookie list. He needs a second key forward to help him. Not sure he's that good that he can take the whole defence coming to him as our only key forward.

Reply #196
Why would we want someone who can't kick and is soft?

I'm not sure if you're being ironic, but I meant splicing their good qualities together. (as Jimbo has worked out).

Reply #197
Anyone else irked by all the missed tackles last night? I thought it was a major issue.

This was the difference between the first and second halves. First half we tackled the crap out of them... the tiring of our players was noticeable.

Still really not sure how we didn't win that game. Even with their straighter kicking I thought we so far the better than team we should have won by 3-4 goals.

Reply #198
Did anyone else think Kreuz was rather disappointing? Or just average anyway.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #199
I would've thought he did a fair bit off the ball?
Pity he didn't take some more marks inside the 50. :(

Some of the balls coming in to our forward line it looked like we had too many going for the mark and spoiling each other.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #200
I would've thought he did a fair bit off the ball?
Pity he didn't take some more marks inside the 50. :(

Some of the balls coming in to our forward line it looked like we had too many going for the mark and spoiling each other.

There was certainly on moment, maybe in the last when Special K and Phillips got in each other's way....

Fev for a comeback?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #201
I'm not sure if you're being ironic, but I meant splicing their good qualities together. (as Jimbo has worked out).

Got it in one, I was hoping there was no need for an explanation.

Getting back to your original question, it's not going to happen obviously so we have to put up with what we have for now, which is not good enough so this is a big reason why we will finish bottom four again

Reply #202

I thought that he was the best ruckman on the ground in terms of overall performance.  Hammer got more hitouts but did little else.  However, Kreuzer seems to do better when he spends most of the time on the ball.  Sharing the ruck with Phillips and spending time forward reduces his effectiveness.

As others have suggested, using the resting ruck as a forward is a work in progress and Bolton needs to do some tuning.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #203
Got it in one, I was hoping there was no need for an explanation.

Getting back to your original question, it's not going to happen obviously so we have to put up with what we have for now, which is not good enough so this is a big reason why we will finish bottom four again

I have been reading your posts for many years - I thought it was unlikely you would have misconstrued my message, but I just wanted to be sure.

I think whilst there are no other alternatives, both Cas and Everitt have a place in the team. As I stated earlier, if you play them to their strengths, they both can make valuable contributions. 

Reply #204
I have been reading your posts for many years - I thought it was unlikely you would have misconstrued my message, but I just wanted to be sure.

I think whilst there are no other alternatives, both Cas and Everitt have a place in the team. As I stated earlier, if you play them to their strengths, they both can make valuable contributions.

I'm sure Bolton will be pondering how to achieve that and will fine tune our structure until they do so more consistently.

Casboult missed two easy goals but he did a lot of good work.  Seven marks, most of them contested or the result of his own efforts, is a good return for a key forward.  He was playing on one of the best defenders running around, and managed to crunch him in one contest.

Everitt is not every supporters' ideal footballer but I'd have him in the team as long as he continues to kick goals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #205

Just don't think Kreuzer doesn't go as well when he has to share ruck duties. Reckon Casboult alot goes better when he does a bit of relief rucking, where he can run around and really get his hands on the ball. Hence why I like those two as our ruck combo, with Kreuzer being on the ball most of the day. It suits both.

Re: post game

Reply #206
Buckley put a huge amount of defensive pressure on. The processions and goals will come. I will be surprised if he is dropped.

x2

A couple of tackles on Houli when he was running through the centre. One was marked by Carlton I think,  and one was a turnover that resulted in a goal to us from the turnover. Not a great game but applied pressure with his tackling when he got the opportunity.

Re: post game

Reply #207
They couldn't move in the last five minutes.  There were moments when the game was being played in slow motion.  And Richmond's older, tougher bodies won out.

Thought our five newbies played well.  Wright kicked three goals and while he dropped in and out of the game, I'll take three goals from him anyday. 

Phillips rucked very well and did more around the ground in 100 minutes than Warnock did in however many years he was at the club.

Lamb put on great forward pressure even if he didn't get much of the ball.

Weitering was fantastic.  Lost his man a couple of times, but was so composed and assured down back. 

Kerridge faded in the last quarter.  Got plenty of hard ball, and had some great moments, but his kicking wasn't great.  Still liked his hard nut play.

Murphy, Simo and Cripps were magnificent.  Yes Murph and Cripps struggled in the last, but one is in his third year and the other was under prepared.  I adore Cripps.

Everett dropping that mark and Bolt's easy miss were the killers in the end.

Was listening to the game on the radio and we had one rotation left with 7 minutes to go and Richmond had 6 or 7 although not quite sure if that is an accurate number. The last interchange was Murphy coming on for the last 5 mins. So may of contributed to the fade out in the end.

Reply #208
From memory I think Buckley was much better earlier in the game but tailed off a bit as he fatigued. I noticed him later in the game chasing one of the Tiger mids and he was struggling to put one foot in front of the other. He should get better as the season progresses and his fitness improves.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #209
I'm sure Bolton will be pondering how to achieve that and will fine tune our structure until they do so more consistently.

Casboult missed two easy goals but he did a lot of good work.  Seven marks, most of them contested or the result of his own efforts, is a good return for a key forward.  He was playing on one of the best defenders running around, and managed to crunch him in one contest.

Everitt is not every supporters' ideal footballer but I'd have him in the team as long as he continues to kick goals.

Agree with all this. I would think this issue would be something of a top priority for Bolton.

EDIT :  As something of an aside, when you consider :

a. that our forward line is either dysfunctional or non existent (depending on your POV)
b. it was our first serious hit out with a new coach and lots of new players
c. we were playing a finalist from last season with the current AA full back as part of their defense, and
d. missed some easy goals

I guess 83 points isn't a terrible effort, is it ? I know the Tiges were undermanned, but still..........