Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 47660 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #30
Big fail by Bolton tonight.
Too many free players all over the ground,  we were ball watching.
WTF with Martin roaming free, why not put Ed on him he was playing crap anyway.
Where is the game plan?
We still look like a team with a suburban team game plan. No Structure.
WTF is it with these zone coaches,, everybody is a utility cause t hey play all over the ground.  BB should take control and be the only giving orders.
Stoppages were extremely bad.
Long season.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #31
Pretty ordinary game, and hard to see Richmond making finals. Our best were kruezer who was outstanding, Murphy played four quarters, docherty did OK later in the game, plowman looked good. Marxhbank is a fine mark, but his decision making will need to improve.

And pretending to be neutral, martin put on a clinic at times. Terrific game.

That's a good summing up I reckon.
We had 4 or so very good players, another 4 or so good players, half a dozen so so players and the rest did pretty much squat.
I thought that Rowe, Gibbs and Silvagni played pretty well, the more I see of Silvagni the more I can see a 200 game player.
Petrevski-Seton looks likely, Pickett did some good things, Thomas was better than some here rated him IMO but still only in the so so bracket.
On Daisy it's hard to see where he fits nowadays, he's lost the pace that made him such a dangerous run and carry player and it's hard to see a natural spot for him, maybe as a permanent forward but Bolton seems to want to use him as a workhorse filling holes.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #32
Bolton was outcoached. They stopped Simpson and Docherty's rebound and exposed their poor defensive side and that was all she wrote.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Am I the only one who can't understand why someone doesn't stand Dusty and make life a little difficult for him?? He had it all on his own terms and was by himself with zero pressure. In the last qtr there is a ball up 25m out, and they leave Macreadie to pick up Martin - who wins the stoppage and kicks a goal. Leaving an 18yo on debut to stand one of the best players in the league who is having a night out is inexcusable by the senior players. Gibbs, Armfield or Cripps needed to step up IMO.

I am trying to stay positive, but the numbers weren't great. Our tackle pressure and work rate weren't up to standard, and given the huge turnovers we give up we are going to get smashed most weeks. We kicked straight, but only had 20 shots on goal which is what we averaged in the back half of last year - and we know with that sort of number we will only wine 2-4 games in a year.

Our defence and midfield work rate was terrible - they had spare men everywhere and had 60 i50's and 32 shots on goal. That's 25% worse than last year.

Armfield, White & Casboult delivered exactly what their careers suggested they would - not much. Thomas, Docherty and E. Curnow, Smedts & Cripps were all below average. That's 8 senior players below par.

C. Curnow was a worry. Pickett was virtually unsighted. SPS looked great but underdone. Macreadie showed glimpses but not sure he is ready yet.

Reply #34
Simon White was on Dusty for most of the first half. Seriously how did we think that was going to go?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
well I'm disappointed with our defensive pressure around the ground, game was lost there...

the positves

Murphy - best game in along time from him, defensive skills were poor though
Marchbank - ripper pickup, strong, reads the play well, decision making will improve, his first big game with 70k watching
Silvangi - has put on some muscle and is smart
Kreuzer - like Murphy's best game in ages, took marks up fwd, and won more clearances that cripps
SPS - couldn't ask for more from a 1st gamer
plowman - steady as a rock
weits - 3 goals and totally beat up, what a champ he's going to be

the negatives
C Carlow - a shocker, slow, out of position and applied little fwd pressure
armfield - hopeless, a liability
pickett - no impact
Crisps - very slow and kicking was woeful
doc - worst game I've seen him play, was exposed by Richmond's small fwds

in all to let Richmond score such a big score with the fwd line is a massive indictment on the club. let's hope we where clearing the cobwebs out.

Reply #36
Bolton was outcoached. They stopped Simpson and Docherty's rebound and exposed their poor defensive side and that was all she wrote.

great summary totally agree ????

Reply #37

Agree.

Very early to be suggesting such things but I'll have a dig. Should we be looking for another 'mentor' for BB at year's end? I really have concerns about Craig. There are obviously so many things that BB does well, but his match day coaching does require 'education.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
Charlie Curnow shocker......is that the 'just turned 20' Charlie Curnow' who notched up Game 7 tonight???

'Give the kids game time!'  'Play the kids!'  'Let the kids develop and play them in front of the oldies!'

We are a harsh lot! 

It should be 'Charlie, you're guaranteed 6 games, so go out and give it your best shot. You won't be BOG every week but have a crack!'

Reply #39
Charlie Curnow shocker......is that the 'just turned 20' Charlie Curnow' who notched up Game 7 tonight???

'Give the kids game time!'  'Play the kids!'  'Let the kids develop and play them in front of the oldies!'

We are a harsh lot! 

It should be 'Charlie, you're guaranteed 6 games, so go out and give it your best shot. You won't be BOG every week but have a crack!'

I guess I've got such high expectations for the lad!  8)

Reply #40
Any chance our tall defenders could take some intercept marks rather than trying to win the golden fist award?

Reply #41

We are a harsh lot! 

Thank you Townsend. Thought the same thing.

Reply #42
Any chance our tall defenders could take some intercept marks rather than trying to win the golden fist award?

Enter Sam Rowe standing 15m clear of anyone else and he punches down the throat of an opposition player!!

Reply #43
We can't afford to carry slow, unskilled hackers any more, they are just boat anchors and get exposed.  We all know who they are.

I know it wasn't anyone 22 and under that's for sure
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #44
Kids were great. Can handle their mistakes. They are usually less costly than some.

Who said Daisy was OK? My god.

Rowe
White
Daisy
Curnow
Levi

All deplorable.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset