Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48722 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #60
Pickett isn't going to get huge numbers to begin with.  But he showed us what he can.  His tackling pressure for one was better than most of the senior players.

I know there's questions on Cunningham, based on the VFL thread, but we are wasting our time playing him in the Magoos.  He's a second year player so needs to get AFL exposure.

If I was being crazy bold I would drop:

Thomas for Cunningham,
Levi for Harry,
Army for Fisher
White for SOSOS's cousin

And would certainly not play Lamb next week.

We would probably lose by 15 goals but I sooo want to be rid of the passengers.

E. Curnow only gets a game because he has heart.  But he needs to be told that he has limitations.

Rowe gets a game because... there's no one else.  JGM ain't exactly coming on and Jaksch would be a backward step.

Reply #61
Smedts was fine.  He didn't Kerridge the ball for one and did some neat things by hand.

Did he get enough of the ball, no. But he showed reasonable composure in traffic and is only just getting back into the swing of AFL.

Reply #62
Hmmmm....that went well.

My god.....
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #63
Yep
It did look like he'd hurt himself badly but a minute or two later he made a tackle that kind of eased my fears.
Still if it does turn out to be a break it's the type of commitment we've come to expect from him.
We can't take a trick  ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #64
Things I learnt tonight:

- We picked up a 10year player in Caleb Marchbank
- GWS have directly and indirectly gifted us a very promising backline (Marchbank, Plowman and Macreadie)
- Once SPS is match fit he's going to light up our games
- Weitering will rarely be sighted in defence this year, and that's ok
- Our forward line actually shows promise (pity the delivery into it is scarce)
- Thomas won't hit his quota for a new contract
- Jack is a chip off the old block. Knows how to position himself and will only get better
- This is going to be a long season, full of mistakes, but the foundation for the future is really starting to take shape
- Next draft we need to stock up on as many A Grade midfielders as we can get our hands on

Reply #66
We can't afford to carry slow, unskilled hackers any more, they are just boat anchors and get exposed.  We all know who they are.

Nail on the head.
This is the most disappointing thing about the whole way we run our club presently. We play players who the club presume will keep things respectable, lose honorably and it makes us a joke as a football club.

This was exactly as expected and the club should already put a line in the sand and play these players who we KNOW are not good enough only when covering injuries.

It is one game, but I suspect we are further away from a flag now than we were 12 months ago.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #67
Sad when you know it's season over at half time of round 1.

Didn't want to be the ultimate buzz kill pre-game, but this result was every bit to be expected......as it will be every single week this year.

That's pretty much the best team we can put on the park this year (perhaps 2 changes at most) and we were laughably inept for large chunks of the game.

There were sprigs of hope here and there, but we never once looked like winning and the usual suspects a lot of us were worried about pre-game, largely stunk it up.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #68
Just like a page that has been copied too many times, and the final copy is just a blurred version of the original, I can kind of see where Bolts is coming from. I can kind of see the Hawthorn influence, I can see just like them, he tried keeping a reasonably settled defense, whilst throwing the forwards and mids all over the park to try and mix things up, and also to try and upset the opposition's rhythm. But I think he upset our rhythm more than the Tiges. Whereas the Hawks look precise, deliberate and purposeful when they do it, we looked random and confused, just doing it because they do it, and because that's what Bolton knows.

Very early days, but it comes back to what Jim said earlier - some very handy individual performances, but the glue is missing.

Reply #69
Just like a page that has been copied too many times, and the final copy is just a blurred version of the original, I can kind of see where Bolts is coming from. I can kind of see the Hawthorn influence, I can see just like them, he tried keeping a reasonably settled defense, whilst throwing the forwards and mids all over the park to try and mix things up, and also to try and upset the opposition's rhythm. But I think he upset our rhythm more than the Tiges. Whereas the Hawks look precise, deliberate and purposeful when they do it, we looked random and confused, just doing it because they do it, and because that's what Bolton knows.

Very early days, but it comes back to what Jim said earlier - some very handy individual performances, but the glue is missing.
All very close to the truth PaulP, thou things the glue doesn't stick to all surfaces either

Reply #70
All very close to the truth PaulP, thou things the glue doesn't stick to all surfaces either

Fair enough Rob.

If my memory is right, 6 of our players have played less than 10 games, and on top of that we had 3 debutantes. That's half the on field 18. 

Reply #71
Don't know what people expected on the back of JLT series.

Last season we were hard to score against, it appears that this season we are not.

11 goals from defensive half turn overs, never going to get close with that.

Senior players handballing to the feet running players, but that being said Bulldogs have modelled their game on that but rely on players having the basic skill to pick up the ball on the half volley.

Richmond can take very little from this game, a backline of babies and a forward line lead by two second seaon players with Weitering showing up the best defender on a few occasions.

Reply #72
And can i just say, that Rance is a dead set, dirty a#hole.

Reply #73
A few things about the game watching it live:

Kreuzer is tireless under rated workhorse with a huge heart. The big guy gave his all 'again'. Really hope we show faith with him and offer him a 2 year contract extension early. Would kill me to watch him play elsewhere. And he will get picked up this time if we let his contract lapse. Would have lost by another 5 goals if he didn't play.

Martin is a true bull. Poor coaching to allow a player with such devastating power to run it alone all night. Made no sense to me. He cant fend off as easily, if the player in on his hammer wearing him like a second skin. He will fend off any mid going around if you give him space and then try and run at him - he needs distance to fend well. Don't give him distance FFS.

Cripps could well have a arm/shoulder injury and miss a month or more of footy. Hope I'm wrong. Showed he has no preseason - will come good.

Rowe cops a lot of criticism but he did another 'honest' job. Tries his guts out and while not super talented plays a position where his main priority is to negate and defend the oppositions best forward and prevent them kicking a bag. He doesn't need to be a playmaker. Does what he is paid to do very well most weeks and again thought he won his position..

Marchbank reads the play amazingly well considering he is a kid. Has guts to hit a target under pressure. Big call but plays like a young Rance. Liked plowmans game.

Weiters mark over 2 tiges in the 3rd quarter was Carey like. What a presence he is and uses the ball better then our mids going into the 50.

Murphy pushed hard all night and was one of our best IMO. Player like he cared.

Not going to bother with Gibbs. Cant stand him so I wont give a balanced opinion.

Thought SPS intent was great. Good first up game considering an interpreted pre season.

Desperate for some more quality ball users.

Armfield gave us nothing. Could it have hurt to have him run with Martin. Has the speed and tackles well. Really poor coaching IMO.   

Defence has not looked as fluent as it did last year. Moved the ball from a kick in so well early last year. Going the long bomb last night indicates a lack of confidence. Hope we can settle down back.

Disappointed a little as if we respected Martin and had a bit of luck with the 50/50 calls could have been a much closer game.

Tiges are not a serious contender this year.

Reply #74
Nice summary Shawny.