Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 48773 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 1 Post Game Analysis: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #75
go back 2 or 3 seasons and we were stinking up the competition.

ask yourself how much promising youth we had on the list back then.  wasn't a lot under 22.  most of our draft picks from then and just prior are gone.

now ask yourself if we have more promising youth on the list.  we still have some of the same 'senior' players stinking the joint up, but i personally have more confidence in the youth we have now.

really, when you have a club that is in need of a rebuild, then that's what matters.

i feel ok about last night's game.  saw some good things, and saw some same old same old.

i do think we'll get better as the season progresses though.  clearly still trying to get some cohesion and need to tidy up the skills quite a lot. 

p.s. i thought Murphy & Special K played good games.  Marchbank looked good but needs to tidy up disposal a bit - perhaps just needs to better understand his limitations by foot and eliminate a couple of shanks and suddenly his disposal will look good.  he can read the play and take a mark though.

I know we have some guys who need to be backup only, no need to name them, but the kids need to prove to the match committee they deserve a spot in the seniors.  there will be reasons we don't know about why some of them did not play last night.

it may well be a long year.  hoping for a few surprise wins along the way.  then we need to draft midfielders. lots of them...

i still think the plan was probably to -

draft talented tall forwards first (which we did).  they take the longest to bring up to speed. they will be ready in a year or 2.

settle on a quality back 6.  i think we're well on the way.

invest heavily in midfielders last draft and the next draft.  they take a little less time to develop than talls. 

have the youth develop in a way that they all start coming good at roughly the same time.  still need older harder body's on the park, taking hits and in some cases just being there filling space while the younger guys develop.

this i think is what Bolton refers to as the plan for a sustained run at it. 

the way our season is panning out we're going to have access to more quality mids at the next draft.  that's what we need, and there's very few short cuts.  i hope Gibbs either gets us more picks via trade, or is around in 2 or 3 seasons when the youth start to come good.  i think he's the type of player that can play at his current level for quite a few years.

anyway - that's my 2 cents worth.  hang in there guys.

Reply #76
Daisy Thomas.....please, stop taking the p!ss you friggin' useless list clogger >:D
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #77
Nailed it tragic, well said mate.

Some of the commentary here is ridiculous, apparently we are further from a premiership after last night. We are blooding young kids, ALL who showed something last night (inc curnow) and when was the last time we could say that?

Everyone expected we couldn't find goals, but looked the most coherent heading towards goal for several years. Unexpectedly it was our backs that crapped themselves and coughed up at least 5-6.

The difference with this crop of youngsters is they take the game on and will no doubt learn from the experience.

Like I said elsewhere, Bolton could easily have move weitering back, and played loose men back but how does that help in our development? Playing players in their positions, sprinkled with some experience is the best way for them to learn their role, their limitations and capabilities.

So whilst it was a disappointing loss, there was enough in it for me to walk away feeling content that we are on the right track. Much patience will be required.

Reply #78
Sad when you know it's season over at half time of round 1.

People want the kids played, we have a list full of them, we better get used to seeing this sort of result.

We had virtually zero physical presence out there last night, when a midget like Murphy is injuring himself trying to make a statement you know you're in trouble. Too much heavy work needed from Kreuzer and Cripps, they are on their lonesome out there.

Rowe played OK, we need to find ways to get him involved in more physical play.

Casboult took some nice marks, but a bloke his size has zero physical presence except when a goose runs into him!

Shockers from C.Curnow, E.Curnow, White, Macreadie, Smedts and Pickett.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
I just thought we would be better this year but it looks like we're going backwards and that the first part of last year really was Bolton's honeymoon period and 2017 will look more like the 2nd half.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
The problem I'm seeing here is that some folk are looking at last nights game and thinking....
"That's it! That's as good as it gets for 2017. That's just about our best possible side."

but....
Inexperienced players will develop as the season progresses.
There will be a development in terms of combining as a team. That was the first game together for many under match pressure conditions.

On all lines (forward, mid, back) players will start to work out each others limitations and strengths and play to them.

Our starting 22 last night wont be our starting 22 at the end of the year.

Bolton will learn a lot too.

Actually on reflection, there were aspects of last night that suggested that we finally have the framework/skeleton of a decent side with the forward line looking much better...and a few youngsters showing a bit back.
Now to put some flesh on i!

Reply #81
We were far more competitive in the back half that the W-L tells you. Granted the Essendon game was a disaster.

Reply #82
I just thought we would be better this year but it looks like we're going backwards and that the first part of last year really was Bolton's honeymoon period and 2017 will look more like the 2nd half.

We increased the number of kids out there, we looked small and weedy compared to Nthmond and they aren't a big side by any stretch of the imagination.

Neither team I saw last night will have any significant impact on the top eight sides, they'll be treated with disdain.

Don't be surprised to find out we have injuries to three or four key players out of last night. Cripps, Murphy, Kreuzer and Weitering all managed to hurt themselves. I reckon Murphy has hurt his back, he might have to carry that injury for the rest of the season.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Dusty aside, the Tigers are woeful.

Pity we didn't really come to play....our leaders let us down, again.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #84
Not acceptable to lose like that to an average AFL team like Richmond with hacks in it like White, Armfield Thomas, etc al. Ed Curnow is a tagger and that's it. He MUST ONLY go to the best onballer each week and annoy the heck outta em!

I can handle losing with kids - we had some - which was great, but please BB play Cuningham, McKay, Fisher, et al. Rotate them if need be.

Gee we have some spuds. I do not want to replace spuds with spuds (eg. Thomas for Kerridge).

Some positiev signs, but I am sure all of our bloeks are better for the run and getting the cob webs out of the sytem, and getting some hometruths,. We'll see how they reposnd now!

Weitering great! He's a CHF see...... :P 8)

Reply #85
And how many poor, poor, poor cheap turnover did we deliver on a platter to the Tigers - 12, 15, 20?

That's not (in general) a youth thing. That's just poor footy.

Bolton's coaching last night - 1 out of 10. Simply didn't see anything tried after Plan A proved to be an abject disaster.

Conceding 83 points in a half to a team like Richmond. Shocking, embarrassing, laughable.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #86
And how many poor, poor, poor cheap turnover did we deliver on a platter to the Tigers - 12, 15, 20?

That's not (in general) a youth thing. That's just poor footy.

Bolton's coaching last night - 1 out of 10. Simply didn't see anything tried after Plan A proved to be an abject disaster.

Conceding 83 points in a half to a team like Richmond. Shocking, embarrassing, laughable.

So what would u have done?

Reply #87
Same story of skill errors and turnovers. We were blown out of the water in Q1 and that's pretty much how it stayed. Good to see the young guys get their chance and some promising signs there. Pretty much as expected as one small step of a long and painful rebuild. Next week will be a bigger challenge.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #88
Interesting that both the seniors and NBs lost their respective games early/slow starts.

Re Daisy I find myself sitting on the fence - and I don't like splinters in the @rse. I, wrongly, expect him to give us what he gave Rottingwood and when you're on serious loot that expectation is justified. But, the bottom-line is that he aint the player he was. That ankle is problematic. He can't jump and he's lost a yard.

So, time to see him in the same vein as Palmer, Kerridge and Smedts ability wise. His upside is no doubt his leadership and experience and that is valuable... to a point. I really hope he improves as the season progresses. But if his on-field contribution falls short, no 2018.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #89
The blooding of the young kids is all good and well, in fact it is actually perfect.

The thing is that we still have too many players getting games that have NO FUTURE at our club and to me that has to stop (and the whole rant about trading etc).

Play just kids, lose to Richmond by 65 instead of 43, both are embarrassing, but one gives more games to kids to give them a chance to prove themselves.

All of my anger about last night isn't the result or Bolton or anything, it is at our clubs inability to build a list.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL