Skip to main content
Topic: Who was better in 2011? (Read 6734 times) previous topic - next topic

Who was better in 2011?

Chris Judd or Marc Murphy?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Re: Who was better in 2011?

Reply #2
Pretty pointless comparison.

One played inside whilst the other played outside and both benefited from having each other in the same midfield.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Chris Judd or Marc Murphy?

Who cares, both were brilliant.

I'm enjoying your salty tears. 4 coaches who have to watch each player very closely and intimately know their roles will know 100 times more than you or me.

Marc Murphy ...............BEST & FAIREST!!!!!

Reply #4
3 replies but no answer.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #5
The old coach knows best line gets thrown out a lot here unless of course that poster hates the coach eg. Mick Malthouse.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
Pretty pointless comparison.

One played inside whilst the other played outside and both benefited from having each other in the same midfield.

That's a good summary Thry. Mutual reinforcement is what makes a bunch of good players into a great team.

Reply #8
Both were great. From memory Chris Judd was the Brownlow favorite, with Murphy on the 2nd or 3rd line of betting (Swan won). Marc Murphy also won the The Age Player of the Year that year. Both were All Australians.

In regards to the AFLPA vs AFLCA, the AFLCA has to generally be considered the more accurate.

Whilst the AFLCA is based on the impact players had in a specific game against each other, with the knowledge of the specific roles players had, the efforts that went into preventing a player etc.

The AFLPA is based on picking who you think the top 3 players were from a pool of players. Not based on actual games, just a "who do you think was the best player". 

I am fairly sure at the time I thought Murphy might have won the Brownlow (actually finished 15 off the lead, though Judd finished 11).

I think any attempt to split the two has to be considered subjective, as I don't think there is a clear way of determining.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #9
Judd was a better player career-wise, probably in the top 20 all time, but in 2011 there was very little between them.

Reply #10
AFLPA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
Chris Judd (Carlton) 1347*
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 456
Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) 389
Adam Goodes (Sydney) 300
Dean Cox (West Coast) 276

Murphy's opponents obviously don't share the same view.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
AFLPA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
Chris Judd (Carlton) 1347*
Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood) 456
Gary Ablett (Gold Coast) 389
Adam Goodes (Sydney) 300
Dean Cox (West Coast) 276

Murphy's opponents obviously don't share the same view.

That's true. But there are other significant groups that do. If you go back and watch footage, read what was written at the time, look at the stats I posted earlier, you will see that both had brilliant seasons and splitting them is as MIO suggested, speculative, subjective, and not even remotely clear cut.

Reply #12
The problem with the afl pa though MBB has to be obvious
For example, who would Jaksch have selected this year?

Or Palmer?

The only way the aflpa could equate is if players selected the top players after each game. Most players who voted for either Jude or amurphy or another would be picking it based on zero encounters, with the next lot having played them once and a small amount having played twice.

All systems are flawed and you can't use any one award to determine a allures value, including coaches award. But I think the coaches probably get it right the most, then the aflpa then the Brownlow
That is just out of the major awards

Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #14
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/marcus-bontempelli-left-out-of-coaches-award-votes-by-north-melbournes-brad-scott/news-story/434bdfd165f33a99ece03964426b9074

It seems as though a grudge was at play in that situation. Were there any grudges against Murphy or Judd from coaches ? And can't players who vote in the players award also hold a grudge ?