Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 14309 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 10: Post Game Insanity: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #75
Chris Scott said he thought it was a horrible game.

Geelong game has changed this year. They are lower scoring and alot more in-close and defensive, the way footy is played in September compared to the rest of the year. The game the other night was essentially no different to the Qualifying Final last year when the score was 3 goals all late in the 3rd qtr. It's the way finals footy is these days.

Reply #76
Are you basing this on stats?

There were only 19 contested marks for the whole game, 12/7 split, only 10 marks inside F50 for the whole game, they took 8 of them which is not much at all.

Geelong average 10/11 marks inside 50 per game, we average 8 per game.

The marking targets on both sides had very poor nights which suggests defenders were on top, watching the game I'd have to say disposal from both teams was very bad.

Im basing this on Hawkins taking marks on the goal line whilst our players had taken it for granted the mark would go sailing through.

Stewart was no good?.....???? I must have watched a different game....... :o

Their talls won them the game?...they had Stanley who was beaten by Kruezer, a semi tall in Crameri who did nothing and I''l give you a tick for Hawkins who kicked 3 goals...and their other tall got a broken ankle or close to it....

I thought their mids with Dangerfield, Duncan, Menegola won them the game along with Stewart and Henry intercepting most of our entries......we locked up Selwood and Ablett ok but weight of numbers won in the end even though a banged up Cripps fought on bravely.....

Stewart turned it over a lot.

The commentary team did acknowledge he got a lot of ball, but he didn't set them up from half back, and quite a few of his kicks resulted in another contest.

Their mids did turn the game, but Danger did it when he drifted forward.  Hawkins stitched us up quite a bit and if not for the umpires paying quite a few blocks against him, and his teammates he would have kicked a lot more.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #77
Im basing this on Hawkins taking marks on the goal line whilst our players had taken it for granted the mark would go sailing through.

Stewart turned it over a lot.

The commentary team did acknowledge he got a lot of ball, but he didn't set them up from half back, and quite a few of his kicks resulted in another contest.

Their mids did turn the game, but Danger did it when he drifted forward.  Hawkins stitched us up quite a bit and if not for the umpires paying quite a few blocks against him, and his teammates he would have kicked a lot more.

Stewart went at 78.6% DE, he had 6 x 1%ers and 9 x defensive rebounds.....you add 28 possies and 12 marks and thats a fair game IMO....
Touhy went at around 75% DE and had 3 defensive rebounds.....

Duncan really hurt us with 27 possies at 85%....

Reply #78
I don't know what to tell you EB.

All I can comment on, is what I saw, and Danger's goal in the final term pretty much sealed the win.  Stewart may have taken an intercept mark, but he handballed it to Tuohy on half back.  He turned into the corridor, hit up a short 30 metre target (might have been Parfitt) roughly middle of centre square, and then followed up that kick with a handball receive and delivered it to Dangerfield to advantage in front from about 40 metres, with only Lachie Plowman for company and one of the best rebound's off half backs I saw (mind you Simpson did this quite a bit for us on Saturday night, and it looked brilliant).

Our talls were busy elsewhere which leads me to believe that we had setup about right.  What will really start to worry you, is where had our midfield gone for that rebound, because I saw the middle of the ground vacant.  This was the first goal of the final quarter FWIW.

Interesting, enough, I just checked the heat maps.

Stewart and Henry look to have played kick to kick in their defensive fifty a bit.  What that means is that our forwards weren't doing enough to kill forward fifty contests, or our delivery into forward fifty was wayward.  Probably both fair assesments of how we go.  Our delivery varies from crap to appalling with a sprinkling of good here and there, and was probably where it all fell over for us at the end of the day.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #79
There it is;

Contact between the Geelong Cats’ Sam Menegola and Carlton’s Sam Rowe from the second quarter of Saturday’s match was assessed. Menegola takes Rowe to ground in a tackle. Rowe has hold of Menegola’s arm as the Geelong player tries to get up, to return to play. Menegola seeks to free himself and in getting to his feet, contact is primarily made between the Geelong player’s shin and Rowe’s back. It was the view of the Match Review Officer the action did not constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

It was all Sam Rowe's fault.

Apparently he was holding Menegola's arm as Menegola pushed his head into the dirt using two hands, then due to a freak of anatomy Rowe's back, which resides on his head, got in the way of Menegola's leg as he tried to break free from Rowe who was lying on the ground holding Menegola's arm!

Yeah, it's a level playing field!

I wonder if the AFL will appeal that! ::)

In other news;
 - Sam Rowe was fined $1000 for preventing a Handbagger from doing whatever they liked! Gerard Whateley was asked to comment but he was late for a coffee with Dangerfield to discuss GAFLPA tactics to prevent Carlton receiving a compensation pick for the possible departure of Marc Murphy to the Cats!

- Chris Scott's jowl retracted after the MRP report was released freeing thousands of Western District farmers who had been trapped since before the Curnow tribunal appeal.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
This is the by-line that I saw - "Geelong's Sam Menegola has been directed straight to the tribunal for his incident with Carlton's Sam Rowe."  The article got the reporting right, however.

It certainly looked bad on the night - I had a quick look to find footage, but couldn't find any.  Be interested to see what we all missed on the night (Rowe holding arm, Shin making contact with Rowe's back etc)

Can we appeal it?

Reply #81
This is the by-line that I saw - "Geelong's Sam Menegola has been directed straight to the tribunal for his incident with Carlton's Sam Rowe."  The article got the reporting right, however.

It certainly looked bad on the night - I had a quick look to find footage, but couldn't find any.  Be interested to see what we all missed on the night (Rowe holding arm, Shin making contact with Rowe's back etc)

Can we appeal it?

I think clubs tend to appeal only to get their own player off a suspension. There isn't (at least IMO), any practical benefit to us if Menegola gets rubbed out next week, the following week etc.

Fans not happy :

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/footy-fans-slam-mro-decision-clear-sam-menegola-065510287.html

Reply #82
I don't usually get too involved in these MRP decisions, but that one is simply poor, anti Carlton bias or not.

Christian is either having real teething issues, or he is simply not up to the task.

Reply #83
I don't usually get too involved in these MRP decisions, but that one is simply poor, anti Carlton bias or not.

Christian is either having real teething issues, or he is simply not up to the task.

Christian has never really impressed me - always thought he was a d/h on Ch10.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
Rowey got straight up - insufficient force. Never mind bringing the game into disrepute with a bloke kneeing and kicking (in the head) a pinned/prostrate opponent.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #85
Christian has never really impressed me - always thought he was a d/h on Ch10.

He is a dill, but the function should not sit with one person  who thinks it is sensible to comment via media. AFL thinks it can solve all issues via media management.

Reply #86
Rowey got straight up - insufficient force. Never mind bringing the game into disrepute with a bloke kneeing and kicking (in the head) a pinned/prostrate opponent.

If the AFL can suspend people for touching an umpire in such a manner that they are not threatened by it, remember it or even feel it because it looks bad for the game and they don't want the kiddies to emulate it....fair enough.

But then a week later, don't let someone off for ramming someone elses head into the ground and kicking him in the back of the head and say its insufficient force. What, the kiddies are going to try and emulate that? Or is it OK if they wanna kick someone in the back of the head?

Be consistent!

Reply #87
If the AFL can suspend people for touching an umpire in such a manner that they are not threatened by it, remember it or even feel it because it looks bad for the game and they don't want the kiddies to emulate it....fair enough.

But then a week later, don't let someone off for ramming someone elses head into the ground and kicking him in the back of the head and say its insufficient force. What, the kiddies are going to try and emulate that? Or is it OK if they wanna kick someone in the back of the head?

Be consistent!

:)) :)) :)) good one, Kruds. You could make money out of humour like that... ;D ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #88
Interesting coaches votes this week....
GEELONG v CARLTON
8 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
8 Tom Stewart (Geel)
5 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
2 Jack Henry (Geel)
2 Lachie Plowman (Carl)
1 Ed Curnow (Carl)
1 Kade Simpson (Carl)

By deduction its clear that 1 coach gave Mitch Duncan BOG and the other coach didn't think he was worthy of a vote.
 ???

Reply #89
Interesting coaches votes this week....
GEELONG v CARLTON
8 Patrick Cripps (Carl)
8 Tom Stewart (Geel)
5 Mitch Duncan (Geel)
3 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
2 Jack Henry (Geel)
2 Lachie Plowman (Carl)
1 Ed Curnow (Carl)
1 Kade Simpson (Carl)

By deduction its clear that 1 coach gave Mitch Duncan BOG and the other coach didn't think he was worthy of a vote.
 ???
27 Possies at 85% DE is a fair nights work IMO, he would have been my best player after Cripps/Stewart........one coach has no idea IMO....