Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 113359 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1200
Just to "balance" up the racism debate, I read today the disgustingly abhorrent stuff online directed at the young Jewish boy Sheezel who will be drafted tonight. WTF is wrong with these parasites? Find these people and put a bullet between their eyes, they are no good to anyone and beyond rehabilitation if that's the way they think and behave. The kid hasnt started his career and he has to put up with this crap. The world is farked.

But we don't have any far right extremists in Australia  ???

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour and you wonder why young Sheezel is the first Jewish draftee (Goldstein's mother isn't Jewish).  The perpetrators should be exposed, stripped of any club memberships, banned from attending matches, placed on a watch list and prosecuted for hate speech (I can't quite bring myself to go to the "bullet between their eyes" step but it's bloody tempting. 

Best wishes to young Harry.  I hope he gets to a club where he'll thrive and be supported against anything the nazi filth may throw at him.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1201
But we don't have any far right extremists in Australia  ???

Absolutely abhorrent behaviour and you wonder why young Sheezel is the first Jewish draftee (Goldstein's mother isn't Jewish).  The perpetrators should be exposed, stripped of any club memberships, banned from attending matches, placed on a watch list and prosecuted for hate speech (I can't quite bring myself to go to the "bullet between their eyes" step but it's bloody tempting. 

Best wishes to young Harry.  I hope he gets to a club where he'll thrive and be supported against anything the nazi filth may throw at him.
They're not far right extremists in my book, they are just low life, brain dead, rotten to the core, kents.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1202
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story:

First of all, "coon" was a common derogatory term commonly applied to Indigenous Australians and other people of colour in Australia from the late 19th century until the mid-20th century.  It made a comeback in the late 20th century and I have witnessed its use to demean and belittle Indigenous friends and colleagues ... and there are no raccoons in Australia.
I remember seeing an ad on TV back in the 70s or so which featured a hoedown with a bunch of Good Ol’ Southern rednecks (all white, of course) singing “Just say Coon …” Their marketing department couldn’t have made a more dubious ad if they’d tried.

As you say, trying the raccoon defence is a bit laughable. But I’m sure Nazis everywhere would just love it if they could exploit the strategy of pointing to the innocent secondary meaning to avoid criticism. After all, the Swastika has been used as a religious symbol in India and elsewhere and I can just imagine Nazis saying you can’t assume they use it to honour dear old Adolf rather than for religious reasons.

Reply #1203
It seems either side of this debate wants to spin things accordingly, but the fundamental outcome of the forced rebranding is the same. And of course the people responsible for the decision to rebrand aren't going to point the blame at themselves. Those that protested and basically forced the name change aren't going to take responsibility for the job losses.

As for the other bullcrap excuses, like the $54M annual loss, I'll treat that spin with the disdain it deserves. Some basic knowledge of the industry would highlight / expose the truth that a rebranding of a major retail item brings a one off annual write-down like this. Market analysis, packaging, websites, advertising, POS, registered trademarks, everything from curtain-siders and billboards down to stationery items like business cards, the cost is enormous but it's mostly a one off. They knew all that long long before they pulled the trigger.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1204
Perhaps they could do a deal with Sarah Abo for naming rights in a rebranding. Right wing customers would love it!

Reply #1205
I know the rage at Dan isnt going to be a long term strategy, but if I were a wagering person, I suspect the idea of being anti Dan is about playing a longer game and trying to winover a certain subset of a generation now, with a view to win future elections.

I think what ultimately hurt the liberal party was the ex leader (I cant remember his name, but we nick named him Ned Flanders) who was extremely belligerent throughout the pandemic irrespective of why the government did what it was doing.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1206
What's the spin behind the National Party rejecting The Voice?

I heard for the announcement the Nats had an Indigenous Party member on hand. Are they claiming The Voice as proposed is bogus, bits and pieces of commentary I have read suggest it was spun that The Voice proposal doesn't go far enough in giving Indigenous Australian's an official role to play in the political forum.

Yet politically the actions seem to be the exact opposite of the declared intent.

Millennials will accept this as a right of opinion in a post truth era, no matter how obviously bogus the spin is.

Politically, I neither for or against, in fact I'm fairly disinterested. But I do expect elected officials and parties are held to account, and on both sides of this debate there appears to be disingenuous behaviour. One side states it supports the cause while throwing roadblocks in the way, another side campaigning for equality effectively rejects the proposal because it's not positively biased enough for them to recommend proceeding. Somewhere, hidden in the dirty details, away from the public's prying eyes, lives motive. Why don't they just spit it out their dirty little secrets!

I don't blame people for having a bias, an opinion or a belief, just don't push it on me by stealth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1207
Coon is a racist term and should have been changed decades ago.

Colonial beer having to change their name was ridiculous.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #1208
It seems either side of this debate wants to spin things accordingly, but the fundamental outcome of the forced rebranding is the same. And of course the people responsible for the decision to rebrand aren't going to point the blame at themselves. Those that protested and basically forced the name change aren't going to take responsibility for the job losses.

As for the other bullcrap excuses, like the $54M annual loss, I'll treat that spin with the disdain it deserves. Some basic knowledge of the industry would highlight / expose the truth that a rebranding of a major retail item brings a one off annual write-down like this. Market analysis, packaging, websites, advertising, POS, registered trademarks, everything from curtain-siders and billboards down to stationery items like business cards, the cost is enormous but it's mostly a one off. They knew all that long long before they pulled the trigger.

You do realise that Coon/Cheers Cheese is one of many products that Warrnambool Cheese and Butter processes?  Their brands include Black Pearl Caviar, Valrhona and Simon Johnson Chocolate (Simon Johnson is a network of retail outlets selling local and imported products), Sungold, Cheers, Cracker Barrel, Mil Lel, Meander Valley, Devondale, Eschire, Lescure, Meredith Dairy, Great Ocean Road Dairy and many others.

Coon/Cheers represents a minuscule part of the Warrnambool Cheese and Butter/Calendar/Saputo business and revenue stream and to suggest that the rebranding of Coon to Cheers caused factories to close is ludicrous.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1209
And to blame those who found the old name off putting rather than the reactionaries LP seems to think boycotted the product is interesting as well.

Reply #1210
Coon is a racist term and should have been changed decades ago.

Colonial beer having to change their name was ridiculous.

Perhaps if it was called Terra Nullius Ale but objecting to "colonial" is a stretch.

Reply #1211
Kraft's 2009 advertisement acknowledged the inappropriateness of the Coon brand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7WDeReC9Q

Reply #1212
What's the spin behind the National Party rejecting The Voice?

I heard for the announcement the Nats had an Indigenous Party member on hand. Are they claiming The Voice as proposed is bogus, bits and pieces of commentary I have read suggest it was spun that The Voice proposal doesn't go far enough in giving Indigenous Australian's an official role to play in the political forum.

Yet politically the actions seem to be the exact opposite of the declared intent.

Millennials will accept this as a right of opinion in a post truth era, no matter how obviously bogus the spin is.

Politically, I neither for or against, in fact I'm fairly disinterested. But I do expect elected officials and parties are held to account, and on both sides of this debate there appears to be disingenuous behaviour. One side states it supports the cause while throwing roadblocks in the way, another side campaigning for equality effectively rejects the proposal because it's not positively biased enough for them to recommend proceeding. Somewhere, hidden in the dirty details, away from the public's prying eyes, lives motive. Why don't they just spit it out their dirty little secrets!

I don't blame people for having a bias, an opinion or a belief, just don't push it on me by stealth!

"If you don't understand it, don't vote for it" 
It's the slogan that will bring a referendum undone.

This one worries me because the effect of it not getting up will be a kick in the guts for indigenous Australians.

So the onus is on the proponents to fully explain how this will work and impact.
In short ....Keep it simple and understandable.

Reply #1213
It was crap tasting cheese anyway!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1214
It was crap tasting cheese anyway!
Whether we like it or not it was dozens of Aussie jobs, perhaps family, neighbors or friends of some on here.

The Force Awakens!