Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 108726 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1305
People are up in arms over SEN hosts Timmy and Garry Lyon not calling out comments Johnny from Epping made on SEN on their show about Jewish recruit Sheezel. He made a comment about Jewish people having lots of money and with their backing, perhaps North no longer need the Tassie deal for money. They are calling this anti semitic, is this PC gone stark raving mad or am I out of touch and uneducated on this stuff?

It ties into stereotypes of Jews being greedy, that they are desperate to make money by any means necessary, that they are penny pinching tight ar$e$, that they control the world's financial systems etc. It's an old stenotype, dating back to the middle ages, when Jews sometimes had restrictions on their economic activity and sometimes were forbidden from owning land. At times the only option they had for earning a living was through high interest loans and the like, something Christians were forbidden from doing. There's more to it, but that'll do for now.

I'm guessing that fellow's comment wasn't meant maliciously, but it's a poor comment regardless and I think Jews would find it offensive.

Reply #1306
It ties into stereotypes of Jews being greedy, that they are desperate to make money by any means necessary, that they are penny pinching tight ar$e$, that they control the world's financial systems etc. It's an old stenotype, dating back to the middle ages, when Jews sometimes had restrictions on their economic activity and sometimes were forbidden from owning land. At times the only option they had for earning a living was through high interest loans and the like, something Christians were forbidden from doing. There's more to it, but that'll do for now.

I'm guessing that fellow's comment wasn't meant maliciously, but it's a poor comment regardless and I think Jews would find it offensive.
I know about the background and stereotypes behind the Jewish community, what I dont understand is how a comment about being wealthy can be offensive. Its fact that Jewish people are generally wealthy because they are smart, hard working people. Its fact that the Jewish community stick together and help one another unlike what I have seen and experienced with many other communities which I won't mention specifically. I simply put these two facts I mentioned together and come up with the reason for Johhny's comment. Nothing malicious, nothing racist, merely pointing out that if the Jewish community get behind Sheezel and the Kangas, they could provide some serious input both from a business networking perspective and financially. My first impressions were that of a long bow being drawn. Perhaps nowadays, any mention or association of a community/people and a trait (for the want of a better term) is now stereotypical and hence offensive.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1307
I know about the background and stereotypes behind the Jewish community, what I dont understand is how a comment about being wealthy can be offensive. Its fact that Jewish people are generally wealthy because they are smart, hard working people. Its fact that the Jewish community stick together and help one another unlike what I have seen and experienced with many other communities which I won't mention specifically. I simply put these two facts I mentioned together and come up with the reason for Johhny's comment. Nothing malicious, nothing racist, merely pointing out that if the Jewish community get behind Sheezel and the Kangas, they could provide some serious input both from a business networking perspective and financially. My first impressions were that of a long bow being drawn. Perhaps nowadays, any mention or association of a community/people and a trait (for the want of a better term) is now stereotypical and hence offensive.

Stereotypes are out unless you are stereotyping WASPS.

Then they are fair game for anyone.

Even if they dont truly belong to that group.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1308
Is Dan's SEC plan viable, or is this his retirement plan?

Reading today various issues politicians need to find a way to stop the corporates throwing a tantrum every time some market regulation is enacted. It's clear these things should work if not for some bonus hunting executive who's pissed off because his 7 figure salary is going to be cut by 10% or 15%.

You know from the reading that the various claims that "regulation drives up prices" are bogus, prices rise because executives won't accept lower margins, so they deliberately increase prices. I feel for them, after all they are barely making ends meet and their executive bonus depends on a percentage!

As an aside, I'd like to see politician pensions contingent on not entering corporate life post politics, so politicians can't lay the ground work to feather their nest before they are voted out. Remove some of the incentive that exists to screw over the public for personal profit. Too many get life long pensions, then join the board of the very companies they were previously trying to regulate, they win both ways and the public pays. Let the politicians join charitable boards, hospitals or other non-profits, but not the mainstream corporates they were trying to regulate.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1309
This is a new Dyson gadget, portable integrated noise and air pollution reduction.

I've sent an email to Dyson asking for immediate delivery of samples to Peta Credlin and Andrew Bolt, because you'll never get more foul obnoxious noise emitted than from those two!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1310
This is a new Dyson gadget, portable integrated noise and air pollution reduction.

I've sent an email to Dyson asking for immediate delivery of samples to Peta Credlin and Andrew Bolt, because you'll never get more foul obnoxious noise emitted than from those two!

You left out Rita, Spotted One... a sad trio for sure.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1311
Cookers tried to take over Germany 🙄

It’s a good thing that they’re as thick as two short planks!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1312

Understand where you're coming from, GTC old son. But the problem with stereotypes is they pigeon hole and reduce certain groups of people to strict behaviour patterns, which is unfair, naive, wrong and ignorant. I use the word 'ignorant' not in a condemning/critical way but more in a 'not knowing' sense.

There are sliding scales in just about every particular 'race rituals & traits', religions, genders, sexualities and so on. We tend to categorize according to the more fundamental or most rigid or popular understanding of these human groupings.

The best man at my wedding was Jewish. Most of my father's clients over 66 years as a landscape architect were Jewish. So yours truly has had a lot of direct connection with the Jewish community... all my life... and these people vary in many ways, just like Christians, Muslims, and agnostics and atheists! My best man loved his bacon, was not great with money, however he and is family did the Shabbat every Friday night and I was invited from time to time as the gentile - some Jews kinda look down on the gentile, most don't. Great feed. Beautiful ritual. But the conversation was just like any family on a Friday night, just like church going Christians after church on a Sunday (plenty don't go to church) or Muslim folks kneeling and praying toward Mecca 5 times per day...

When someone uttered not to long ago about 'privileged' white males many of us were up in arms as many of us aint privileged, though I do get the sweeping generalization that being born a white male has given us a head start on many other folks - a fact. Point is many of us didn't like being stereotyped in that way as we sure didn't feel privileged.

Most domestic violence is perpetrated by men, but many more men are not violent to their kids or significant other.

Another example relating to my own bigotry recently on this forum. I made a sweeping generalization about Neanderthals (the popularly regarded, denigrating stereotype) which David (DJC) quickly corrected and explained how sophisticated they were in some important respects.

I think it is a very positive thing that we take the time to get know people as individuals before making judgements based on 'popular' and conditioned stereotype judgements... and understand that there is a sliding scale of behaviour within these groups.

Reply #1313
I think the thing that gets some folks back up with these issues is that there seems to be this idea that to build up one group we need to denigrate and stereotype and put down another.
You don't win friends and influence people doing that.
So disreagarding or labelling opinions as those of the Old, White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant is not OK.
It's ageist, racist and religiously intolerant because it supposes an intellectual inferiority on a specific group
It's a sloppy generalisation because amongst that group there are many different points of view and life experiences, some rivalling those of minority groups.

It's a bit like the 'Boomer' tag.
The generation that grew up without computers, mobiles even television (our family didn't own one until I was ten)
The generation who knew fathers scarred by the horrors of war.
The generation who have spent 40-50 years of their lives paying taxes and setting money aside in super.
A lot of us are comfortable in our elder years...but we've worked most of our life and money still needs to be watched.
From year 10 onwards we lost most of our friends and at a guess only about a third went on to college and university.
The rest had to leave and get to work.
And during our uni and college days, much like today, many of us held down part time jobs
We don't all own houses by the bay and nice boats.
My family weren't that badly off as a youngun but I remember mum used to like the rainy days...the debt collectors didn't seem to come around as often.
Things were a little easier still when she started work, but that meant our afternoons had a few chores before we finally got to watch Shintaro.
They weren't all "Happy Days"

So be careful with labels.
History is the past.
We can't change that
Education, support and lifting up the downtrodden and neglected is what the future should be about.

Reply #1314
I think the thing that gets some folks back up with these issues is that there seems to be this idea that to build up one group we need to denigrate and stereotype and put down another.
Apparently it's justified when it's used as the means to achieve a preferred outcome for the nouveau downtrodden.

Get onboard, you need a plight to blame on somebody else or you will be left behind! ;D

On that issue, did anybody watch the Harry and Meghan show?

Apparently it's already being labelled a documentary about kids with 1st World problems, which has then been craftily responded to by Meghan supporters as tactical WASP response No.1.

Apparently Meghan is a oppressed African American struggler fighting against the oppression of "The Old Money", while Harry is a victim of oppression by the dominant and overbearing world of "The Old Money", and it turns out they are making a packet of "The Old Money" for self-identifying as victims of being alive. Where is it that they live again, at least in their UK home, with the enemy it seems entrenched in "The Old Money"?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1315
Apart from the SEN listener’s stereotyping of Jewish folk, there’s also his notion that Jewish football followers should change their allegiance  for ethnoreligious reasons.  How offensive is that to families like the Pratts, Smorgons, and Gutnicks, as well my former Jewish battler colleague who would walk from Albert Park to VFL Park to watch his beloved Navy Blues?

Stereotyping, positive or negative is based on false premises and reinforces the wrong belief that ethnoreligious affiliations determines behaviour, characteristics, capacity, morals, intelligence, etc.

And that brings me to WASP or White Anglo-Saxon Protestant; a label applied to an ethnoreligious group who are the white, male, upper-class, American Protestant historical elite.  The Anglo-Saxon part (and there isn’t and never has been an Anglo-Saxon ethic group) should really be northwestern European.  It doesn’t include political elites like the Kennedy clan because of their religion and it doesn’t include the vast majority of Americans of northwestern European descent who have little political and financial clout.

Our historical political elite was originally of British descent, reflecting the make up of invaders/colonisers but Catholicism wasn’t the barrier to influence that it was in Britain.  Migration, diverse religions, the union movement and the absence of a strict class system has eroded elitism to more of a gender qualification.

Referring to white Australians of northwestern European descent as WASPs is incorrect, stereotypical and bigotry.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1316
Understand where you're coming from, GTC old son. But the problem with stereotypes is they pigeon hole and reduce certain groups of people to strict behaviour patterns, which is unfair, naive, wrong and ignorant. I use the word 'ignorant' not in a condemning/critical way but more in a 'not knowing' sense.

There are sliding scales in just about every particular 'race rituals & traits', religions, genders, sexualities and so on. We tend to categorize according to the more fundamental or most rigid or popular understanding of these human groupings.

The best man at my wedding was Jewish. Most of my father's clients over 66 years as a landscape architect were Jewish. So yours truly has had a lot of direct connection with the Jewish community... all my life... and these people vary in many ways, just like Christians, Muslims, and agnostics and atheists! My best man loved his bacon, was not great with money, however he and is family did the Shabbat every Friday night and I was invited from time to time as the gentile - some Jews kinda look down on the gentile, most don't. Great feed. Beautiful ritual. But the conversation was just like any family on a Friday night, just like church going Christians after church on a Sunday (plenty don't go to church) or Muslim folks kneeling and praying toward Mecca 5 times per day...

When someone uttered not to long ago about 'privileged' white males many of us were up in arms as many of us aint privileged, though I do get the sweeping generalization that being born a white male has given us a head start on many other folks - a fact. Point is many of us didn't like being stereotyped in that way as we sure didn't feel privileged.

Most domestic violence is perpetrated by men, but many more men are not violent to their kids or significant other.

Another example relating to my own bigotry recently on this forum. I made a sweeping generalization about Neanderthals (the popularly regarded, denigrating stereotype) which David (DJC) quickly corrected and explained how sophisticated they were in some important respects.

I think it is a very positive thing that we take the time to get know people as individuals before making judgements based on 'popular' and conditioned stereotype judgements... and understand that there is a sliding scale of behaviour within these groups.

Appreciate the time taken in the post above but my view on this is totally different and hence my time on forums may be limited in the near future as this stuff has gone too far IMO.
As a person of ethnic background, in the setting you describe above where you were invited to your friends house, if you were with  my extended family at the dinner table, you would here plenty of "stereo typical" comments about us Italians all made in good humour. Nothing offensive (in my view) or racist or deragatory towards other groups/communities, just anecdotes about us growing up "our way" versus others. These anecdotes and jokes are about things like eating, food, going out clubbing, getting married,  living with a partner but not marries, children out of wed lock, all stuff that we laugh about today. And if you joined in the conversation or laughed along with us, no one would bat an eyelid. I would be comfortable in applying the above to every family member, friend or acquaintance that I know of similar ethnic back ground. Let me be 110% clear with this statement, I AM REFERRING TO PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY.
So I hope I have demonstrated how someone in my shoes finds all this very difficult to grasp and understand.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #1317
Appreciate the time taken in the post above but my view on this is totally different and hence my time on forums may be limited in the near future as this stuff has gone too far IMO.
As a person of ethnic background, in the setting you describe above where you were invited to your friends house, if you were with  my extended family at the dinner table, you would here plenty of "stereo typical" comments about us Italians all made in good humour. Nothing offensive (in my view) or racist or deragatory towards other groups/communities, just anecdotes about us growing up "our way" versus others. These anecdotes and jokes are about things like eating, food, going out clubbing, getting married,  living with a partner but not marries, children out of wed lock, all stuff that we laugh about today. And if you joined in the conversation or laughed along with us, no one would bat an eyelid. I would be comfortable in applying the above to every family member, friend or acquaintance that I know of similar ethnic back ground. Let me be 110% clear with this statement, I AM REFERRING TO PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY.
So I hope I have demonstrated how someone in my shoes finds all this very difficult to grasp and understand.

Totally understand GTC. No problemo. And I don't ever recall you expressing an opinion that would see you unwelcome here, quite the contrary. Value your perceptions, doesn't matter that you and I may differ on certain subjects. Won't effect our friendship on CSC one little bit. Love to go to a game with you (and others from here) next year.

Reply #1318
Totally understand GTC. No problemo. And I don't ever recall you expressing an opinion that would see you unwelcome here, quite the contrary. Value your perceptions, doesn't matter that you and I may differ on certain subjects. Won't effect our friendship on CSC one little bit. Love to go to a game with you (and others from here) next year.
Thats a deal, we should make a group effort to go a game. The post match posts on here would be hilarious, I am sure even if we all went to the game together, sat next to each other, we would all see different things  ;D  ;D  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #1319
Zwarry used to organise catch ups at games.  I think I met Cookie, Bluesgirl and Enz at one game.

VFL games were good for catch ups too; I saw Baggers, Riverrat and Amers at Punt Road.

And you’re right G2C, we all saw the games differently 🙂