Skip to main content
Topic: Football Department Review (Read 72159 times) previous topic - next topic

Football Department Review

Here we go...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-to-launch-external-review-of-football-department-20210607-p57yul.html?fbclid=IwAR3OPdbJRSjBJx_2-x6Gv8ioOLtTW20fDwua2ASLMlgDXLqqz2W-SUwNvhM

Carlton is set to launch an external review on the club’s football department, which is expected to decide the future of coach David Teague and his assistants.
The club’s incoming president Luke Sayers has been in Sydney with the team, where he has been conducting informal interviews with several senior players and coaches.

The review of the football department, which will be implemented by Sayers and conducted by outsiders, will begin in the coming weeks.
Several board members believed a review would take place at the end of the season if Carlton didn’t make the finals, but that process has been brought forward in the wake of poor results.

Re: Review

Reply #1
Here we go....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-to-launch-external-review-of-football-department-20210607-p57yul.html?fbclid=IwAR3OPdbJRSjBJx_2-x6Gv8ioOLtTW20fDwua2ASLMlgDXLqqz2W-SUwNvhM

Thanks for that link lods.

Multiple club sources, including players, have told The Age Sayers has been asking people their opinion on where the club is breaking down.

At least one player has talked about the lack of clarity in the team’s game plan, while another questioned elements of team selection.

Carlton football department chief Brad Lloyd said he would support a post-season review if required, but insisted Teague was safe for next year.

“I am not across exactly what Luke’s plans are when he takes over but I am supportive of whatever is going to help the footy club. Those sorts of reviews, if they happen, if there are things found that help improve the club, I am all for it,” Lloyd said.

Why only the football department ? 

Taking bets now - Teague to stay, most if not all assistants gone. New football manager 50/50.

Reply #2
About 7 years too late.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
It's a process some of us have been wanting, but I agree with Paul...why just the football department?
I suspect we know the answer ::)

“Never hold an inquiry unless you know what the outcome will be”

Reply #6
Great news. Especially that it is independent.

That players have expressed concern over game plan (confusion) and the MC explains a lot.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Great news. Especially that it is independent.

That players have expressed concern over game plan (confusion) and the MC explains a lot.

Boltons criticism was the same from memory.  Our players dont seem to like game plans...
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
I think Teague might get another year but if the club were really behind him they would offer another 2-3....its not looking good for him IMO and it puts pressure on him straight away rnd 1 next season and to be honest just make the change if its going to a 1 year only extension, dont string him along and mess with his mental health.

Reply #9
Thanks for that link lods.

Multiple club sources, including players, have told The Age Sayers has been asking people their opinion on where the club is breaking down.

At least one player has talked about the lack of clarity in the team’s game plan, while another questioned elements of team selection.

Carlton football department chief Brad Lloyd said he would support a post-season review if required, but insisted Teague was safe for next year.

“I am not across exactly what Luke’s plans are when he takes over but I am supportive of whatever is going to help the footy club. Those sorts of reviews, if they happen, if there are things found that help improve the club, I am all for it,” Lloyd said.

Why only the football department ?  Probably because it is the only department failing.

Taking bets now - Teague to stay, most if not all assistants gone. New football manager 50/50. Yep.

Interesting that Lloyd seems a little defensive... well, guess what fella, the buck stops with you. You should be a little nervous.

Reply #10
I must be living under a bridge but i was unaware Sayers is our new incoming president. I just read it on the link above.

We have all heard the rumours doing the rounds about his connection to Dan's back injury?

I don't know much about him but if the word on the street is true he is a hard man on fronts. If that's true he may be exactly what we need to clean the club out of so many of the nice guys we have and bring back some real mongrel and grit on all levels. Not much to get excited about recently but this one gives me some hope  

Reply #11
It's a process some of us have been wanting, but I agree with Paul...why just the football department?
I suspect we know the answer ::)

“Never hold an inquiry unless you know what the outcome will be”

I agree lods.

It smacks of disunity - "you guys are the problem, we're doing fine." Well guess what ? Who signs off on the coaches, players etc. Who signed up Malthouse ? Who signed off on the mother of all rebuilds ?  Who signs off on all the sackings ? Who still gets dictated to by the Pratt / Mathieson factions ?

Reply #12
Boltons criticism was the same from memory.  Our players dont seem to like game plans...

The only coaches that have had any kind of success recently are the free wheeling coaches, Ratts and Teague.

Reply #13
I agree lods.

It smacks of disunity - "you guys are the problem, we're doing fine." Well guess what ? Who signs off on the coaches, players etc. Who signed up Malthouse ? Who signed off on the mother of all rebuilds ?  Who signs off on all the sackings ? Who still gets dictated to by the Pratt / Mathieson factions ?

Always address the patient's most urgent needs first...

Reply #14
Always address the patient's most urgent needs first...

It always starts at the top IMO - always. You won't find a single dynasty team that has a board like ours. If they think they are doing a good job because Liddle stooged a few people to buy memberships (and gave away a few free ones for good measure), they are kidding themselves.