Skip to main content
Topic: Darcy Vescio has an announcement (Read 5146 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Darcy Vescio has an announcement

Reply #15
How silly is this.

The Wikipedia entry for Darcy has now been edited so that it reads 'they' and 'their' instead of 'she' and 'her'.
I was reading through it without really thinking too much about it but when I got to the second 'they' I thought ..."Does Darcy have a sister who plays as well? ;D .. then it clicked that the edit gremlin had already visited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy_Vescio

Reply #16
Why do you worry about it, you've done and are doing nothing wrong!

This non-binary stuff, it's like a punter too gutless to place a bet on the nose!

Practicing i guess.

I had the same issues with the Ellen/Elliot page thing.
Its only a matter of time until someone i know does something similar, so i'm being a good boy scout and being prepared.

Reply #17
I'm old school and binary numbers converting them to decimals etc is what I understand, non binary humans I dont get, Darcy is a pleasant young lady and thats I how I view her.
I think you lose something as a unique individual when you become a non gender abstract object and I wonder what has led to this decision to describe herself in such a neutral manner.

Continuing down the numbers theme for a minute, and i hope you can follow me, but to me its less about binary, and more about real vs imaginary numbers.

Real numbers are the numbers we all know and love and use everyday.
Imaginary numbers don't exist, but we made them up to help us work things out and describe things in a simpler way.

Perhaps being 'non-binary' falls instead on the imaginary number scale. That is, it serves a specific purpose but is largely irrelevant to everyday use.

Reply #18
I think you lose something as a unique individual when you become a non gender abstract object and I wonder what has led to this decision to describe herself in such a neutral manner.
This is peer pressure, it's not something that comes from the majority, it's driven by an aggressive minority cliqué.

Before the politically correct nerds jump on what I've written, I don't have to wait until I experience this from a family member first-hand, it's already happened in our clan, and I can tell you the pressure from the minority is both extreme and insidious! It's why I openly and without hesitation called out the bullcrap than was the Hanna Mouncey scenario! Here is a non-binary that in a fit of rage could literally physically tear the head of 99.9995% of female opponents!

This situation is so far from being neutral and respectful it's an outright joke, and to think the majority is somehow accused of a wrong doing! It's just painted that way by an insidious minority intelligencia who play for keeps and everyone, everyone even sometimes their own children, are collateral damage in the process. I can't describe the damage this does to a family group when a young child grows up indoctrinated in this rubbish, by the time the adults get old, regretful and wake up to themselves it's all too late to unwind the damage!

The AFL pander to this by the way, because the marketing people will tell you that Dinks are where the discretionary dollars live, the dollars are not with the young mum and growing family!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
You can wear a name tag all you like, but that doesn't require others to refer to you by it.

Guess that is true but if I met someone with a name tag they had chosen I would show courtesy/decency to refer to them by that name, not something that suited me as I am too lazy, confused or set in my ways to use the name/label they asked for/prefer.

I'd call it common human decency to call you John, or Dr John or whatever you prefer.

Darcy has, I think, has informed us very politely and without much fuss of their situation and I'll do my best to follow what they have asked. And yes, I'm bound to get it wrong at times.

Reply #20
Continuing down the numbers theme for a minute, and i hope you can follow me, but to me its less about binary, and more about real vs imaginary numbers.

Real numbers are the numbers we all know and love and use everyday.
Imaginary numbers don't exist, but we made them up to help us work things out and describe things in a simpler way.

Perhaps being 'non-binary' falls instead on the imaginary number scale. That is, it serves a specific purpose but is largely irrelevant to everyday use.
I do follow and it's a fair analogy imho.. I don't
want to see Darcy or any other young or old person as irrelevant but you are right calling it imaginary being non gender imo.

Reply #22
Well, maybe we should just drop the womens aspects of sports and revert to let the strongest competitor man or woman win?

We'd save a bomb on prize money.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Maybe it's my age but I am struggling to keep up with current day definitions of sex and gender, so I would appreciate some help.

In looking at a definition of the "I" in LGBTQIA+, it says in part:  "When an intersex person is old enough to choose a gender identity, they can choose to identify as male, female, or a combination."

Is non-binary covered by this definition, or is it a sub-set of one of the other letters? 

Reply #24
Just call them quantum and we'll be all square!

btw., What are "they, them or it" going to do when this question is posed to a quantum computer, a device specifically design to answer non-binary questions?

It's not like they invented the term, but they may have hijacked it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
I'd like to challenge this assertion on a technical level, pretty much every bit of modern life taken for granted exists because of imaginary or complex numbers!

In this regard, is a self-declaration of a non-binary identification being a touch grandiose?

Yes, I'm being mischievous, but me being free and allowed to do that forms part of my point, I can issue labels too!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
I think the demographic on this site is right in the WTF wheelhouse!! (Including me!!)

Reply #27
Maybe it's my age but I am struggling to keep up with current day definitions of sex and gender, so I would appreciate some help.

In looking at a definition of the "I" in LGBTQIA+, it says in part:  "When an intersex person is old enough to choose a gender identity, they can choose to identify as male, female, or a combination."

Is non-binary covered by this definition, or is it a sub-set of one of the other letters? 
If the waters weren't muddy enough...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/21/style/lgbtq-gender-language.html

Reply #28
The funny thing about all this is that it wouldn't even rate a thread or a mention except for the fact that Darcy is a prominent figure in the Carlton women's AFL team.

Reply #29
The funny thing about all this is that it wouldn't even rate a thread or a mention except for the fact that Darcy is a prominent figure in the Carlton women's AFL team.
Not entirely true. I made a thread about Ellen/Elliot Page when that occured. Big enough names, get mentioned.

But yes, this specific one was because its a carlton player.

Same would occur when the first mens player actually comes out of the closet publicly. I suspect we all know someone who is gay and its not entirely big news....unless its the 'first'.