Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday! (Read 2306 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday!

At this stage we are playing against the Doggies, but its almost a day by day situation at the moment so we'll see.

Hopefully we get a few players back for this one, because we'll need it.

With a bit of luck they are not at full strength still from covid.

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe?)

Reply #1
Looks very likely now, as advertising for the game has begun. Set down for Sunday at 1510 at Footscray.
I don't think we've played the Dogs at Carlton yet!
Doesn't appear to be on free to air TV.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe?)

Reply #2
Looks very likely now, as advertising for the game has begun. Set down for Sunday at 1510 at Footscray.
I don't think we've played the Dogs at Carlton yet!
Doesn't appear to be on free to air TV.
Spoke too soon.

Traditional pride round against the dogs goneski.

Tuesday night against Lions now.

https://www.womens.afl/news/81199?_ga=2.35845858.391729657.1642584209-306229409.1528790717

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday!

Reply #3
Well the weekends results (besides ours) have all been run and won and we are starting to see the cream rise to the top.

As it turns out, the Lions are currently last (albeit played 2 games less than most) and their only game was against the mighty Adelaide Crows.
That being said, this is a winnable game for us.

Further to that, if we win, we will be in the 8....and on merit too. Yes, some other teams haven't played their full compliment, but only really GC result matters and that still won't put us out of the 8, just drop us from 7th to 8th.

So.....this is a must win game!

Be interested in seeing how team selection shakes out, and how many "Health and Safety Protocols" are forced upon  the 2 sides.

It will be weird seeing an AFLW game on a Tuesday night, but at least there's a public holiday the next day.

Re: AFLW 2022 - R3 vs Dogs (maybe? - NOPE) Now vs Brisbane @ Metricon on Tuesday!

Reply #4
Teams are in....

Basically back to what it was last week (pre-game)

In: Walker (late out last week)
Out: Hammons (late in last week)

We did however get some insight into where Wilson is.
As suspected, she was kept out due to "Health and Safety Protocols" in Round 1 (possibly R2) and has got a back injury in there somewhere which is keeping her out now.

Still no word on Poppy Schaap though. Perhaps she isn't as good as i think she is? Perhaps something else.

re Brisbane side...
Some big outs that help us.
BRISBANE

B: R.Svarc 29 S.Campbell 20
HB: P.Monahan 11 B.Koenen - C 3 N.Grider 10
C: J.Ellenger 5 C.Hodder 21 S.Webb 4
HF: O.O'Dwyer 9 J.Wardlaw 30 G.Bodey 15
F: Z.Farquharson 22 A.Anderson 18
Foll: T.Smith 31 I.Dawes 17 E.Bates 1
I/C: I.Tahau 26 T.Hickie 2 C.Svarc 25 M.Moloney 28 J.Wuetschner 23

Emerg: B.Smith 16 L.Pullar 24

In: R.Svarc, S.Webb, Z.Farquharson
Out: K.Lutkins (Knee), S.Conway (HS Protocol), D.Davidson (Foot)

Reply #5
CARLTON

B: K.Harrington - C 9 A.Lee 11
HB: L.Brazzale 12 J.Good 15 J.Dal Pos 2
C: D.Vescio 3 M.Prespakis 4 G.Gee 19
HF: N.Plane 32 P.Trudgeon 26 N.Stevens 21
F: M.Guerin 18 C.Jones 22
Foll: B.Moody 16 E.O'Dea 46 L.McEvoy 13
I/C: V.Laloifi 8 B.Walker 7 A.McKay 5 G.Pound 6 D.Walker 23

Emerg: B.Vickers 24 K.Sherar 25

In: B.Walker
Out: C.Hammans (Omitted)

Our line-up, for those who can't recall last week. Interesting to see Brooke Walker, Abby McKay and Gab Pound named on the bench.
Also of interest is that Paige Trudgeon has ben named forward while jess Good has been named at CHB. Darcy Vescio and georgia gee named on the wings!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
CARLTON

B: K.Harrington - C 9 A.Lee 11
HB: L.Brazzale 12 J.Good 15 J.Dal Pos 2
C: D.Vescio 3 M.Prespakis 4 G.Gee 19
HF: N.Plane 32 P.Trudgeon 26 N.Stevens 21
F: M.Guerin 18 C.Jones 22
Foll: B.Moody 16 E.O'Dea 46 L.McEvoy 13
I/C: V.Laloifi 8 B.Walker 7 A.McKay 5 G.Pound 6 D.Walker 23

Emerg: B.Vickers 24 K.Sherar 25

In: B.Walker
Out: C.Hammans (Omitted)

Our line-up, for those who can't recall last week. Interesting to see Brooke Walker, Abby McKay and Gab Pound named on the bench.
Also of interest is that Paige Trudgeon has ben named forward while jess Good has been named at CHB. Darcy Vescio and georgia gee named on the wings!

If that is the forward line we go out there with, we are basically conceding the ball is going to be played in our back half most of the day. Which is certainly possible.

If we are any chance of kicking a winning score, we simply need to rejig that forward line.

Jones and Trudgeon are tall targets....but neither are elite at marking the ball, nor close to average once the ball hits the deck, so we'd need our best crumbers around them.
Stevens is OK at that, but its not really her thing.
Plane and Guerrin will not take a backward step, but are not going to win any agility/sprint races either.
To call that forward line 'average' is optimistic.

I know McEvoy has got some coaches votes this year playing midfield, but i'd be inclined to play her a marking target up forward, who would provide a contest, and then win the ball off the deck. Start McKay in the guts.

Pound and Laloifi starting on the bench? Pound is a former AA and Laloifi has been a solid contributor/borderline AA squad level performer for a while.
Brooke Walker starting on the bench is probably fair enough given her covid recently, but her fitness base is still probably better than most on the ground.

Bizarre lineup/benche to say the least.

Reply #7
Pound and Good out HS Protocol.

Sherar and Vickers to debut, good luck girls, Go the Baggers!

Like the look of Sherar, left-booter, looks calm with the pill, bit of run and gun, hope she gets some midfield time, but she will find it a bit faster than she is accustomed to. Bit faster than GrEg, but not as powerful yet.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Pound and Good out HS Protocol.

Sherar and Vickers to debut, good luck girls, Go the Baggers!

Like the look of Sherar, left-booter, looks calm with the pill, bit of run and gun, hope she gets some midfield time, but she will find it a bit faster than she is accustomed to. Bit faster than GrEg, but not as powerful yet.

Based on Sheerars 'highlights' when drafted, that was about as disappointed as i've been in a pickup......mens or womens.
Her kicking seemed average if that was her highlight package.
Hopefully it was some poor editing, and its not all her.

Good luck to the girls, but this is a game we wanted to be at our best for.

Reply #9
All the commentators talking us up pre-game......not really sure why.

First 10 minutes lions dominate kicking away.

We get 1 back on the siren, to get it back to 2 goals.

Vescio doesn't look right.
Can't remember the last time Darcy was able to one-touch an incoming ball. Constant fumbles. Should've been pinged at least twice for dropping the ball in the tackle.

We need to find another target up forward and use Darcy as a crumber. Darcy plays 2nd fiddle until they get their confidence back.

Reply #10
Our girls don't look at all hungry. Moving in slow motion.

EDIT: As they kick another goal to make a liar of me...haha.

Reply #11
Our girls don't look at all hungry. Moving in slow motion.

EDIT: As they kick another goal to make a liar of me...haha.
Might need to say it again Jimbo.   ::)

Reply #12
Moody out of sorts, no 2nd ruck, not only are we being smashed at stoppages they are running all over us, this is going to get ugly.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Moody out of sorts, no 2nd ruck, not only are we being smashed at stoppages they are running all over us, this is going to get ugly.
Am i the only one that remembers they won the flag last year and have had 2 weeks to get over their loss to last years runner up?

TBH, this is kinda how i expected it to go.

re 2nd ruck...
We lost Good before the game who would probably do that role.
We do have Trudgeon who is tall enough, but very skinny and useless once the ball hits the ground.

We've used O'Dea in that role plenty of times before, usually if we are losing the ruck (which doesn't happen often).
O'Dea is good enough to play in the guts, but a little slow, so playing as a 2nd ruck is not a terrible option.

Reply #14
Well disappointing result, albeit not unexpected.

We were behind the 8-ball when the teams were announced and then losing 2 earlier today just about finished us off before a ball was bounced.

Still should've performed better than that though.

Debutants....
Vickers....looks like a footballer, but still needs a bit of work.
Sherar...had the least number of possessions of a carlton player and it highlighted how many players we had unavailable. IMO not quite ready for AFLW yet.

Same contributors at the pointy end with Kez, Prespakis and Moody carrying the team.

Not enough from senior players....O'Dea, Dal Pos (looks past it), Stevens....and Vescio.

With a bit of luck, and the short week, we should get a variety of changes for our next match.

IN: Wilson, Pound, Good......Hill??....Schaap??
OUT:  Sherar, Lee, D. Walker....Trudgeon?.....??