Skip to main content
Topic: Who is in your team for Round 1? (Read 2753 times) previous topic - next topic

Who is in your team for Round 1?

There is an interesting discussion of Round 1 team selection in the Melbourne game thread so let's see who can come closest to the 23 for Round 1.  I'm going with:

B Newman    McDonald    McGovern

HB  Williams    Weitering    Saad

C     O'Brien     Cripps     Docherty

HF    Fisher    Curnow, C    Silvagni

F     Owies   McKay    De Koning

Fol     Pittonet   Hewett   Cerra

Int    Kemp, Kennedy, Durdin, Williamson

Sub  Setterfield

Emerg   Curnow, E, Plowman, Young
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Who is in your team for Round 1?

Reply #1

interesting team DJC.

I think Ed.Curnow and Plowman will both be in the starting lineup though.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #2
And Durdin's wobbly given the calf injury during the Melb game: 2 weeks is light on for recovery.

Reply #3
Good team but not sure about Williamson.... we can do better.   Maybe Jack Martin?? E Curmow as sub??

I think we need to go with 2 rucks especially if teams start copying Gawn and have a ruck man dropping back to take the cheapies in defence. That's where DeKoning was valuable last week rest up forward but contesting against Gawn.

Reply #4
Ed an emergency behind Setterfield as the sub?  I hope not.  But that's nitpicking with what is a pretty decent lineup

Reply #5
And Durdin's wobbly given the calf injury during the Melb game: 2 weeks is light on for recovery.

I think that it was a knock rather than a strain so I'm considering him ready to go.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Clearly, Jack Martin hasn't been huge in the preseason but I still think he's an important player. Strong mark, knows where the goals are and when he's fit he applies heaps of defensive pressure. Has he had injury problems that have held him back?

Reply #7
I'm happy and hoping for our team selection to be more dynamic for 2022, horses for courses.

I'm not a fan of having a welded on starting 22, and I'm all for playing who is fit first and foremost, with tactics that have some plasticity to suit.

Very hard for teams to plan to play against you when they don't know who they'll be standing next to! It doesn't need to be radical change, provided the team tactic adjusts to suit, for example.

Wing = SoJ vs Wing = Cunningham
HFF = Martin vs HFF = Fisher
HBF = Williams vs HBF = Kemp

Little tweaks here and there that completely change the flavour without vastly affecting capability.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
B Newman    McDonald    McGovern
HB  Williams    Weitering    Saad
C     O'Brien    Cripps    Docherty
HF    Fisher    Curnow, C    Silvagni
F    Owies  McKay    De Koning
Fol     Pittonet  Hewett  Cerra
Int   Kemp, Kennedy, Durdin, Williamson
Sub  Setterfield
Emerg  Curnow, E, Plowman, Young
It's a pretty top heavy side compared to our pre-season running game. I'm not sure you get Williamson and McDonald in the one team, I think they are either / or for D50 and McGovern will have a HBF/CHB stitched up. Similarly, to me the F50 looks one starting tall too many, I can't say who'll get the gig or get the ar5e but somebody will because if you add some run you can't start all those talls on the bench.

Maybe only one of either Kemp or SoJ get a gig from the bench, because if Charlie is in I doubt we have all of BigH, De Koning and Charlie starting in F50. De Koning has enough run to start on the bench and play F50 or D50, I could even see SoJ or De Koning as a wing option for the hit up marking target if they want Charlie to stay in goal range and bring a small / rover inside F50, maybe the resting / rotating mid.

De Koning and Kemp and SoJ jumping at the footy in BigH's absence worked OK, but only because we basically had Durdin, Fisher and Owies at the feet all at once. Take one of the smalls away and the dynamic changes significantly.

McDonald vs Plowman might be one of those horses for courses selections, when we want change the mobility dynamic.

Weather is expected to be warm with showers, not really your ideal tall marking conditions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
I'd have J.Martin and E Curnow in my team for round 1, Obrien didnt impress me during the preseason games even though he got a little bit more ball than usual but IMO still made plenty of mistakes and isnt a player I could rely on.
McGovern gets in my team but again not a player I could put my house on to turn up but with Jones gone and a reliance on either McDonald or Young to fill in the gap maybe McGovern can assist either one of those two as well as be that intercept player. Of course with the teams that have three marking forwards then McGovern will need to play some defense and have to be responsible for a man which I remain still unconvinced he can do. If Balta plays forward then he might get his first test in that part of his new role as a defender.
Setterfield.....not for me even as a sub, just not hard enough at the ball and he is a long way down my pecking order list for a senior spot. The Owies, Durdin and potentially Fisher when not onball small setup works for me but I also like the option of Martin down there when its not working . Yep he never plays four quarters and is dubious in durability so he would be on the bench and not a player I expect 100 minutes from but he is does have elite talent that we need even in small bursts and thats how I would use him.
Williamson....looked ok in the preseason but again an iffy player in terms of decision making and one I dont trust down in defense.
Weitering and Saad aside I dont see any of our defenders as truly reliable and Williamson added down there makes me even more nervous.
My team for round 1 but I dont expect the selectors to agree...
B Saad McDonald McGovern
HB Williams Weitering Newman
C Cerra Cripps Docherty
HF Owies C. Curnow Silvagni
F Durdin(if fit) McKay Kennedy
R Pittonet Hewett Fisher
Int DeKoning, E Curnow, Martin,Plowman
Sub Kemp

Reply #10
The biggest question is - do we play pitto, tdk and jsos in the one team?

Next is - Doc?? Is he ready

Then - Martin - been poor preseason, but is obv class, which we need

Finally - Ed?  Has ALWAYS been one of our first picked.  Maybe a good sign of our depth and talent if he isn’t picked

Reply #11
The biggest question is - do we play pitto, tdk and jsos in the one team?

Next is - Doc?? Is he ready

Then - Martin - been poor preseason, but is obv class, which we need

Finally - Ed?  Has ALWAYS been one of our first picked.  Maybe a good sign of our depth and talent if he isn’t picked
Yes

Yes

Yes....but only because Durdin is injured

No.

Reply #12
Want to see our recruits having a big impact,

Williams, Saad, Hewitt, Cerra

Like to see Cripps back to his best

Like to see Charlie and Harry starting to gel in forward line like they should gave started to gel five years ago

Reply #13
Pretty much with you on the team EB. For mine Setterfield and Williamson aren't in there.

Tigers have a pretty good midfield with lots of runners....Ed Curnow always an option for one of those roles.

I'm happy with TDK and Pittonet in the same team. They'll more than likely rotate off the bench.

Different roles/positions but it might come down to a question between Ed and O'Brien. I wasn't completely sold on LOB in that game against Melbourne....got a fair bit of it but still some clangers and poor decisions.

Reply #14
One interesting observation - we seem to be at the stage of

'can't fit them all in'

which is a pleasant change from

'how the hell does he get a game?'.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?