Skip to main content
Topic: Two seasons in one year (Read 1504 times) previous topic - next topic

Two seasons in one year

The AFL has announced that the next AFLW season will run from August until November-December this year!

I guess it’s another small step towards aligning the men’s and women’s seasons but it does mean that we’re still a chance for an AFLW premiership in 2022.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Two seasons in one year

Reply #1
Do we think that the seasons will eventually align?
It makes sense to play in the winter months....but one of the things the Women's competition has going for it is that we're a bit 'starved' of footy during the summer and looking for a footy fix.

It will be interesting to see how this move goes...with the start of the AFLW season coinciding with the start of the finals.
I reckon there'll be a footy overload.

Reply #2
Do we think that the seasons will eventually align?
It makes sense to play in the winter months....but one of the things the Women's competition has going for it is that we're a bit 'starved' of footy during the summer and looking for a footy fix.
I don't see summer itself as a problem, but training and playing daylight footy in summer male or female is simply ridiculous.

I think it will suffer if it goes head to head with AFL.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I suspect that the long term goal is to play AFLW matches as curtain raisers for the AFLM  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
I suspect that the long term goal is to play AFLW matches as curtain raisers for the AFLM  :)
Possibly, but it would be dew off the ground like the old U19s.

I've heard the AFL and clubs are keen to further explore more VFL curtain raisers after a couple of successful attempts over the last two years, a lot is apparently dependant/contingent on the next/new boutique stadium deals.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Possibly, but it would be dew off the ground like the old U19s.

I've heard the AFL and clubs are keen to further explore more VFL curtain raisers after a couple of successful attempts over the last two years, a lot is apparently dependant/contingent on the next/new boutique stadium deals.

I can see a mix of VFL and AFLW curtain raisers, particularly with Princes Park being set up as a boutique stadium.  Perhaps games at Princes Park when the men are playing interstate.

Reply #6
I can see a mix of VFL and AFLW curtain raisers, particularly with Princes Park being set up as a boutique stadium.  Perhaps games at Princes Park when the men are playing interstate.
In a few years, there may be a boutique Nthmond or Rottingwood stand, on top of the Dawks new venue as well, all as well as Princes Park are touted as boutique game venues.

Personally, I doubt AFLW has "the numbers" in the short term to justify it, as a basic function you need duplicate facilities, our ground will have them but many do not, and it is far from free!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
The AFL has announced that the next AFLW season will run from August until November-December this year!

I guess it’s another small step towards aligning the men’s and women’s seasons but it does mean that we’re still a chance for an AFLW premiership in 2022.

That will send the scouting and list management teams into a tailspin.

Would be a lot of girls sticking their hands up from the VFLW that might need to be plucked mid-season to back up for the AFLW season.

Its a bit cheeky, but that the girls have been asking for more of a full time role and now some will basically be asked to play for 12 months straight!  :-[
Be careful what you wish for!

Reply #8
The 2022B season has been confirmed as starting on the weekend of the AFL pre-finals bye.

Ten home and away games followed by four weeks of finals.  List managers and coaches will have their skates on.

In other news, our Kez was providing special comments on the wireless last weekend and was referred to as Kerryn Peterson.  I’m not sure if she married Joel recently or has just changed her surname.

Reply #9
The 2022B season has been confirmed as starting on the weekend of the AFL pre-finals bye.

Ten home and away games followed by four weeks of finals.  List managers and coaches will have their skates on.

In other news, our Kez was providing special comments on the wireless last weekend and was referred to as Kerryn Peterson.  I’m not sure if she married Joel recently or has just changed her surname.
She definitely did get married since the last season ended. I'm assuming thats where the name change came from.

Reply #10
I would agree with that but to me that would also confirm the AFLW is a second tier comp and just a warm up bout in boxing terms for the main event on GF day. Would that be equality,  denying the ladies of their own special day in the sun?

Reply #11

Not the smartest decision by the AFL, but it is going to really hurt us. We won't get much a pre-season into all the kids we're going to get to replace all the traitors who have left. We already had a really young team, now it is going to be much younger still.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
Classic examples of the timing of this year's AFLW "second season within a year"  causing dramas on the weekend with ovals and availability etc.

If you're going to use grounds that are traditionally used for cricket or other sports (at the cessation of the usual lower league finals in late August early September) there's going to be issues.

Ruckman slipping on centre block areas that are being changed over to cricket,  and semi-professional cricket clubs trying to prepare on bog heaps or grounds with delayed preparations.   No winners in this.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?