Skip to main content

Poll

At the 2022 Federal Election which party will receive your first preference?

LNP
[ 7 ] (26.9%)
ALP
[ 8 ] (30.8%)
Greens
[ 2 ] (7.7%)
One Nation
[ 0 ] (0%)
United Australia Party
[ 3 ] (11.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (7.7%)
None of the Above
[ 4 ] (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Topic: Election 2022 (Poll added) (Read 23311 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Election 2022 (Poll added)

Reply #30
Do you reckon Albanese would have got away with "Google it" on such a key figure as the unemployment rate...No way in the world. It would have been seen as not taking it seriously and being disrespectful...and as good as an acknowledgement he didn't know the answer.

There are different standards.

I don't think Albanese would have got away with it because he doesn't have the delivery or the ability to think on his feet.  Kennett would have got away with it, as would have Hawke and Keating (if Google was around then) and probably several others.  It's not just the "Google it" one-liner but the follow up highlighting key election issues that gave Bandt the points.

I'm old enough to remember Pig Iron Bob at town hall meetings and one of his favourite tactics was dismissing questions and questioners as not deserving an answer.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
The most skilful politicians are able to deflect answering the question, and then change it and deliver the message that they want people to hear.

The fact these imbeciles don't know this is amazing.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
The most skilful politicians are able to deflect answering the question, and then change it and deliver the message that they want people to hear.

Karen Rudd turned it into an artform ....

Reply #33

The minute a poli deflects a question, he/she is dead to me.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
I don't think Albanese would have got away with it because he doesn't have the delivery or the ability to think on his feet.  Kennett would have got away with it, as would have Hawke and Keating (if Google was around then) and probably several others.  It's not just the "Google it" one-liner but the follow up highlighting key election issues that gave Bandt the points.

But don't you think Bandt's "follow up" got lost.
I didn't hear anything about it...it was all about the 'google' bit.
That's what got the airplay on the news and in the media.

What was the message on the first day....Albo's gaffe.

Reality is the little incidents like that are going to play in the general public as much as any policy stuff.
(As much as we'd like to think otherwise.)

It will be about "what's best for me", "impressions" left by the major participants....and whether people think it's time for something different.

Reply #35
Looked at the Greens policies and its High School economics with free hemp showbags.....promise the world, make everything free and let anyone into the country. Then you search on their website for how they are going to pay for all these free services and you find that we are relying on being able have a wealth tax on all the billionaires like Gina, Clive, Twiggy etc.....its a noble idea to extract from the rich and give to the poor Robin Hood style but for a party wanting to hold the balance of power they need to come up with something better.
The NY times had it right when they said name a tax and there’s a way to reduce it, delay it or not ever really pay it, if you have the right adviser. Think Joe Biden ran with a over tax the wealthy policy and it lasted about a day before it was benched and previous US Presidents including Trump of all people tried their luck as well in this area. Good luck to Adam Bandt but he wont be getting my vote based on what I read about their policies...

Reply #36
Looked at the Greens policies and its High School economics with free hemp showbags.....promise the world, make everything free and let anyone into the country. Then you search on their website for how they are going to pay for all these free services and you find that we are relying on being able have a wealth tax on all the billionaires like Gina, Clive, Twiggy etc.....its a noble idea to extract from the rich and give to the poor Robin Hood style but for a party wanting to hold the balance of power they need to come up with something better.
The NY times had it right when they said name a tax and there’s a way to reduce it, delay it or not ever really pay it, if you have the right adviser. Think Joe Biden ran with a over tax the wealthy policy and it lasted about a day before it was benched and previous US Presidents including Trump of all people tried their luck as well in this area. Good luck to Adam Bandt but he wont be getting my vote based on what I read about their policies...

I wouldn't let them run a milk bar let alone a country. Their bright idea is Tax the living hell out of billionaires and get them give up their profits to fund the bludgers. Good luck with that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #37
This is really the conundrum, because there is no way in hell though the history of Australian Politics that a bloke like Scomo gets a second gig, but the opposition is so intensely similar and pissweak I fear it will happen.

In the annals of Australian political history the Scomo section will be a name, at start date and a finish date with no other content in between, perhaps just some ellipsis!

Scomo might well be rewarded for delivering even less than mediocrity!

Sad but true. A hark back to the dark days for the LP when they kept putting up lame opponents to Howard... who was very beatable, but was a political animal.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
I was wondering where the old saying, "Like having nothing, twice," came from. Now we know.

Reply #39
I wouldn't let them run a milk bar let alone a country. Their bright idea is Tax the living hell out of billionaires and get them give up their profits to fund the bludgers. Good luck with that.

Unfortunately, I viewed his speech ... OZ to become a net exporter of green energy?

Really?  What a tool.

Reply #40
Unfortunately, I viewed his speech ... OZ to become a net exporter of green energy?

Really?  What a tool.
They are an embarrassment Cap.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41
Electile dysfunction; the failure to be aroused by any of the political parties nominating candidates for the coming election.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #42
Electile dysfunction; the failure to be aroused by any of the political parties nominating candidates for the coming election.

I've never made this comment before... anywhere. But that, David, is the post of the year.

Reply #43

The Greens, like all other minor parties past, present and future, can promise whatever they like because they’ll never have the chance to implement their policies.

They will do whatever they can to get bums on seats in the Senate and maybe jag a seat or two in the House of Reps.

It’s a bit like the National Party’s policies that are quietly forgotten in coalition.

Reply #44
The Greens, like all other minor parties past, present and future, can promise whatever they like because they’ll never have the chance to implement their policies.

Their policies are unimplementable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th