Skip to main content
Topic: Harf re-appointed (Read 1767 times) previous topic - next topic

Harf re-appointed

Luke Sayers has announced that Daniel Harford has been re-appointed coach of our AFLW team for another two years:

It is imperative that the women’s program has continued stability and this will be achieved with a Senior Coach who drives a close connection within the group. Daniel believes in the values of the Club and he drives those values throughout our AFLW program, we know he is the right person to lead this team in our pursuit of success.

It's a no-brainer really, but good to see the club take a longer term view of our AFLW development.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Harf re-appointed

Reply #1
Very good news. Harf's a ripper.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
Spoke very well, glad he has been extended, to me he's the right person for the job.

He cops a bit of flack, but in reality it's coming from people who have no idea about the difference between amateur and professional, and much like Luke Power in the men's competition, I can't think of anyone better than Harford to take inexperienced AFLW kids from amateurs to experienced and cold hardened professionals.

If you want to be professional, you have to be prepared to accept the brutal reality, and Harford knows the brutal reality side of the business as well as anybody.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Yep, lets face it, if we are going to change players like we are going to change underwear, there is no sense in doing the same with the coach, as that will be one of very few reasons for them to stay (or even return).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Thank f*** for that.

Wonder how many cheersquad members are crying and rocking in the corner now. Tossers.

THIS is the first sign of 'new Carlton'. Stick by the coach.

Reply #5
Thank f*** for that.

Wonder how many cheersquad members are crying and rocking in the corner now. Tossers.

THIS is the first sign of 'new Carlton'. Stick by the coach.

Yes, there’s a lot of gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands from those who see Harf as the reason we lost or are losing Davey, Harris, the twins, Prespakis and Gee and don’t really look at the big picture.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
Yes, there’s a lot of gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands from those who see Harf as the reason we lost or are losing Davey, Harris, the twins, Prespakis and Gee and don’t really look at the big picture.
Yep, i got banned from the facebook cheersquad group because i was praising Halford and suggested that we're better off with a couple players leaving who are not focussed on team success rather than having someone who can keep a group together with no success.

All i heard was that he can't coach and that he took a team who made the grand final to a side not making finals.
Pointing out that he took a team that finished dead last to making a grand final in the first place didn't seem to compute with them.
Nor the fact he was voted AFLCA AFLW coach of the year in 2019 seemed to make any difference.

Cheersquad members are too close to the players and see their favourites sooking about the big bad coach and sympathise with the players, rather than looking at the big picture.

I asked a question of Half via podcast about his 'unconditionals' as a coach asking of his players.
I think the answer was commitment and effort.
That backs up what i already thought. If you don't put the team first and are not committed to the club, see ya later.
Look at the players who have left (and been any good) and you'll see either a lack of commitment or effort or both, from all of them.

Davey...look at me. Wanted out when she was captain. GTFO!
Hoskings....clearly thought the grass was greener elsewhere...how is that working out for them?
Dalton.....wanted to play rugby as a priority.....bye.
Harris....too busy worrying about boxing and being insta-famous......Thanks but no thanks.
Clearly Prespakis' had the bombers connection (maybe Gee too, but at least had connection to Prespakis) so there would've been a call, if you can't be fully committed here, then go now.

Eventually we'll be left with a squad of girls who are fully committed to the cause and want to be here and thats when we'll have success.

Reply #7
I asked a question of Half via podcast about his 'unconditionals' as a coach asking of his players.
I think the answer was commitment and effort.
That backs up what i already thought. If you don't put the team first and are not committed to the club, see ya later.
Look at the players who have left (and been any good) and you'll see either a lack of commitment or effort or both, from all of them.
While in retrospect you might claim some had a lack of commitment, I doubt you can state that for Davey, Prespakis or Gee, while they were here and on the field. I think they all gave effort and commitment during their time.

Further, you can't blame them for Hail Mary offers being made by other clubs and none of them were on long term deals like Vescio.

Today, there are some in the media already claiming the Prespakis and Gee offers are unsustainable, some are already calling Gee's demise when its contract renewal time labelling her a stablemate / lead pony, and asserting Prespakis will get a pay cut. Personally I think Gee is better than just a paddock pony, but if some club was going to act that then it would be CheatsFC, there are already calls in the CheatsFC forums to trade for Prespakis Jnr as a padlock.

But as I have warned the girls are different to the men, fail to renew their best buddy no matter how big of a spud they might turn out to be and the stars will walk, that's pretty much what happened with Davey although her offsider wasn't really a spud. Of course they didn't end up at the same club but the Davey departure from Carlton was as much an act of revenge for not re-signing Lucas-Rodd as much as a opportunity elsewhere. For this reason I would specifically be recruiting players who seem strongly independent.

I'd also write the "Don't boof your team-mates" rule into any club contract, inbreeding is no good for anybody!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Good move to reappoint the coach and create stability after the marquee player and sidekick have left for the big black and red dollars. The club have to rebuild and find a new junior MaddieP, we may already have one on the list waiting to blossom. I dont follow the AFLW so I m no expert on the players abilities but hopefully they recruit better than in previous years and build the culture where players want to stick around and put playing with their mates and finals first.
The better money will come as the game expands and I wouldnt be worried about short term success but concentrate more on building the platform. Well done to Daniel Harford and he seems a cool customer who can steer the ladies to success....

Reply #9
On maddie.  As the girls get better she isn't going to.  She's a big girl but not express.  She's tough and can get the ball but future players will be better than her and the cliff is coming for her fast.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
On maddie.  As the girls get better she isn't going to.  She's a big girl but not express.  She's tough and can get the ball but future players will be better than her and the cliff is coming for her fast.
I'd be looking at the basketball girls and getting a few of them to swap codes, Erin Philips awareness and skillset has been enhanced by her point guard abilities and ball nous. The next generation will be bigger and more athletic, girls like Liz Cambage, Lauren Jackson would dominate the AFL game IMHO if you could get them early as kids and be able to offer good money.
Agree that Maddie from what I have seen is built up compared to a lot of the other girls and is a Greg Williams type in terms of contesting and ball getting ability but the game will get quicker and more skilled in time  but there will always be room for MaddieP's who can win their own tough footy and I think she will be successful for EFC in the short to medium term.

Reply #11
Don't need to look elsewhere for talent anymore EB1. The girls being drafted now have had a clear pathway of juniors to seniors and playing in a womens comp the whole way.
This was not the case for the first few years of AFLW, but courtesy of AFLW, the lower leagues have been fleshed out to suit.

Reply #12
@LP, gee ain't no training pony. She made the AA squad either this year or last year from memory.
Has been named in the 22U22 squad on more than 1 occasion.

She will probably be harder to replace than Prespakis.

IMO, Prespakis = Cripps
Gee = Betts

If you lose a midfielder, you can get others to cover and pick up the slack. There are also plenty more elite mids out there....and most would be faster than Prespakis.
On Gee...her speed, agility and elite skills are something that you simply cannot find in the one package. How many Gee equivalents are there out there?

Reply #13
On Gee...her speed, agility and elite skills are something that you simply cannot find in the one package. How many Gee equivalents are there out there?
I agree.

It's not my opinion, the stable pony allegation is what the Haemorrhoid supporters are saying on their forums. Let's see if they rip the Jnr out of he Cats as well, that might be a tell!

More importantly, will we retain Greg?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Greg is a unique individual.
She can be very much clueless at times and i'm pretty sure this was one of those times. The fact she uploaded it to social media in the first place is proof enough of that.

She'll get a talking too, and she'll apologise and she'll do something stupid next time too.

I don't think there was any malice in it and she'll be feeling terrible, but she'll be forgiven and will be a dominant force for us next year.