Skip to main content
Topic: Musk (Read 3093 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Musk

Reply #30
Yes, at least in the case of normal inflated tyres, but I do think they use run flats.

What will happen though when the new airless tyres like the Michelin UPTIS become more mainstream?

No they don't.

Your Tesla will not come with a spare tire/tyre, nor does it come with run flat tires/tyres, so if you get a puncture you are potentially stuck. Tesla offer a service where they will tow you up to 50 miles and possibly bring you a replacement wheel if you're near a service centre, but this has a couple of problems.

March 2022

Reply #31
A few commentators think this impulse buy by Musk might leave him in the same sort of quandary as a dog who chases a car and catches it: what does he do now? He'll now be the face of Twitter and he'll be responsible for the day-to-day management of it. And it's certain he's not going to please everybody. Every decision he makes will put someone offside. He's following a path that has become staple fare in superhero movies. For instance, in The Incredibles the superheroes are initially feted for bringing crime under control but then mistakes start to put the populace offside to the point that they become public enemies. Spiderman also faces unpopularity after a while. How will Musk react when everyone turns on him?

He's even worse off because he has a number of other ventures which benefit from his iconoclastic image. But if he becomes the unpopular dictator of Twitter, that may adversely affect those other ventures. For instance, if he does deals with Russia and China to seal off their Twitter spheres and crack down on anti-government tweets, and unleashes a free-for-all for rightwing extremists in the US, he'll alienate pro-democracy libertarians and leftwingers. I'd guess that most of the demand for Teslas would come from that that part of the political spectrum. I'd imagine Trumpists would consider electric vehicles as a betrayal of the MAGA commitment to fossil fuels. Teslas would be on the nose and those buyers would seek out cars made by other manufacturers.

He's bought a white elephant, methinks.

Reply #32
No they don't.

Your Tesla will not come with a spare tire/tyre, nor does it come with run flat tires/tyres, so if you get a puncture you are potentially stuck. Tesla offer a service where they will tow you up to 50 miles and possibly bring you a replacement wheel if you're near a service centre, but this has a couple of problems.
March 2022
Actually in Australia it's 80km from the nearest service centre, which is basically wherever a Supercharger centre is, I'm always cautious reading search results, they often give you the US or Euro sites by default.

Also, not every region gets the same tyres, that's even the case for normal cars as tyres have to comply with local regulations. It also depends on where the car was made, which factory in which region.

Anyway it's obviously limited, but electric vehicles aren't meant to driven to the Kimberley, that Supercheap Solar Charger ain't going to help much! Bad luck if you shred a tyre on the Nullarbor, but then why would you drive a Tesla to Perth anyway you have no Superchargers and normal recharging costs you hours and hours in time every few hundred kilometres!

I've mates with some pretty fancy cars, none of them come with spares or even have a place to carry one, but I doubt they care about that! It would be like the Pratt's not buying a mansion because it didn't come with a hammer!

I suppose the Tesla logic is related to how often people get serious sudden flat tyres versus a slow leak, and the cost of carrying that extra weight related to the energy cost. The math probably works out way in favour of carrying no spare versus the Tyre MTBF.

I suspect someone like Hyzon will setup a ferry service so that Tesla drivers can have their cars transported by the dozen to Perth using hydrogen fuelled trucks, and instead of driving the Tesla owner can catch a cheap biofueled Jetstar flight to Perth so they can retain their green credentials on arrival. But who the feck wants to go to Perth now, most are trying to get out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
And as I've said repeatedly, EVs are totally unsuitable for Australia.  But that genius Shorten thought they'd be great. 

EDIT - They DON'T have spare tyres /wheels, regardless of sales point, Australia or anywhere else.  But you can buy one for $600 !!!