Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW off-season - Signing, trades, draft....  (Read 3808 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW off-season - Signing, trades, draft....

https://www.womens.afl/news/94419/day-one-s-expansion-signings-28-players-make-it-official-with-new-clubs

So its all happening starting now.
Tuesday, May 24

Expansion Signing Period commences (9am AEST)

Rookie Signing Period commences (9am AEST)

Monday, May 30

Expansion Signing Period concludes (2pm AEST)

Draft order revised for expansion impacts

Tuesday, May 31

Sign and Trade Period commences (9am AEST)

Wednesday, June 8

Sign and Trade Period concludes (3pm AEST)

Thursday, June 9

Delisted Free Agency period commences (11am AEST)

List Lodgement #1 (4pm AEST)

Friday, June 10

Restricted Free Agency period closes (3pm AEST)

List Lodgement #2 (4pm AEST)

Thursday, June 16

List Lodgement #3

Saturday, June 25

Final draft order confirmed

Wednesday June 29

2022 NAB AFLW Draft

Monday, July 4

Final list lodgement

Re: AFLW off-season - Signing, trades, draft....

Reply #1
Day 1 approved signings

ESSENDON
Sophie Alexander (from Collingwood)
Stephanie Cain (from Fremantle)
Joanne Doonan
Federica Frew
Georgia Gee (from Carlton)
Danielle Marshall
Georgia Nanscawen
Madison Prespakis (from Carlton)
Caitlin Sargent
Bonnie Toogood (from the Western Bulldogs)
Jordan Zanchetta

HAWTHORN
Zoe Barbakos
Dominique Carbone
Jess Duffin (from North Melbourne)
Bridget Deed
Tahlia Fellows
Sophie Locke
Matilda Lucas-Rodd (from St Kilda)
Sarah Perkins (from the Gold Coast SUNS)
Jenna Richardson
Eliza Shannon
Louise Stephenson (from GWS GIANTS)

PORT ADELAIDE
Laquoiya Cockatoo-Motlap
Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap
Angela Foley (from the Adelaide Crows)
Gemma Houghton (from Fremantle)
Maria Moloney (from the Brisbane Lions)
Justine Mules (from the Adelaide Crows)

Reply #2
https://www.womens.afl/news/94420/how-many-players-can-each-club-lose-expansion-rules-explained?
But what are the rules clubs face when it comes to losing players through expansion?

Each player in the competition has been assigned a points value which is calculated based on age, payment tier, career games and any awards they might have won.

To keep their first round draft pick for the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft, existing clubs must lose a total of 28 points worth of players.

Should clubs not reach that threshold, they will go to the draft without a first round selection.

Clubs can lose a variable number of players in line with this points system, based on recent successes and location.

Each of the top seven teams from the past two seasons combined may lose (via expansion) a maximum of:

Four players if in Victoria, Queensland or Western Australia
Eight players if in New South Wales or South Australia

Each of the bottom seven teams from the past two seasons combined may lose (via expansion) a maximum of:

Three players if in Victoria, Queensland or Western Australia
Six players if in New South Wales or South Australia
We fall into the bottom category and can lose only 3.
We've already lost 2 in Prespakis and Gee.

This system is crap. Top teams can lose more players, thus are more likely to reach the 'threshold' of 28 points, thus more likely to keep their pick.

So much for getting extra picks for losing players, we will be lucky to KEEP our existing first round pick only if we lose enough talent.

Reply #3
This is seriously the most *+*$! up system you could ever come up with.   What Muppet thought this disaster up?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
This is seriously the most *+*$! up system you could ever come up with.  What Muppet thought this disaster up?
All is not equal in the AFL, never was, never will be!

The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
This has red and black fingerprints all over it.

Reply #6
This has red and black fingerprints all over it.
Well, I wasn't going to state as much, but we know how the infiltration of the Big House works in exactly the opposite way that the Fitzpatrick tenure didn't work for us!

Is there some irony in Fitzpatrick seemingly traversing a line of good governance and ethics, as an example of how it can be done correctly after decades of earlier crookedness, only for the crooked to resume normal business the moment Fitzy departed?

In effect Carlton have endured decades of pain while Fitzpatrick taught then the difference between right and wrong, all for nought. One might even suspect some at our club are fans for flagellation!

Clearly CheatsFC have no conscience, they are using the Big House infiltration and politics to propel themselves out of the mire at orbital velocity.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Some rumoured movement for us.

Lauren Brazzale to the Magpies (to play with her best mate Downie no doubt)
Amelia Velardo (magpies) back to us.
Apparantly Velardo she is a 19yo midfielder who has played 11 games.

I don't mind that trade as we need more mids with Prespakis, Gee and Greg (supposedly) all out of our current midfield.
Brazzalle (28yo) is an original gamechanger, but she has reached her peak and will not take us to the next step. Hard runner with a big boot, but accuracy is not a strong suit.

In other news, Charlotte Wilson looks set to go to Melbourne. Another one who can't kick and despite dominated 2 seasons ago, took a back seat with the revelation of Paige Trudgeon who is an upgrade in every area.

We are supposedly chasing 36yo Phoebe McWilliams from Geelong. She sits in the top 10 AFLW history for goals and would be a much needed target up forward to help Vescio.....especially with Stevens also on the way out (to saints, apparantely).

Reply #8
Also....
Courtney Jones is set for a move to Gold Coast during next week’s player movement window.

She spent 2 years on our list doing nothing. Got a gig last season and dominated up forward with her marking and attack on the ball, and accuracy in front of goal. Another one who will hurt us.

Reply #9
So far 7 (including expansion poaching - MP GG) out and 2 in.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #10
I must say I have found this all a bit disheartening, it has an air of pseudo-professionality, it looks a bit like they want the big dollars but they want the fantasy, but perhaps without the hard work required or demanded of them from an experienced AFL coach.

Should I pity them, sook it up, or become bitter?

PS; Brooke Walker bails out.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
I must say I have found this all a bit disheartening, it has an air of pseudo-professionality, it looks a bit like they want the big dollars but they want the fantasy, but perhaps without the hard work required or demanded of them from an experienced AFL coach.

Should I pity them, sook it up, or become bitter?

PS; Brooke Walker bails out.

Walker will only be gone for a few rounds at the start of the year to play NRLW.
TBH, its probably a good thing which allows us to try a few players before trying to shoehorn her back in. She underperformed last year and perhaps 'a big pre-season' playing rugby is going to be a big benefit to her footy career.
I know previously though she (and Chloe Dalton) have talked about the differences in playing weights for both sports and the difficulty 'gaining' for rugby and then having to 'shed' for AFLW. So perhaps we'll see a 'thicker' Walker next season?

Reply #12
Walker will only be gone for a few rounds at the start of the year to play NRLW.
I suspect though she will struggle, as she did last season missing for other reasons, at the highest level of a sport regardless of the relative sport continuity is everything.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Looks like we lost enough talent to keep our first rounder (That sentence still makes me shake my head)

https://www.womens.afl/news/94642/what-picks-does-your-club-have-indicative-draft-order-revealed
That means our first pick is pick 21!
Although it is essentially 10th from the Vic based draft.

Not sure how we can replace both Prespakis and Gee with pick 21 (or pick 10 in vic draft) though.

Victoria

1. (2 overall) Hawthorn – cannot be traded
2. (4) Essendon – cannot be traded
3. (6) Hawthorn – cannot be traded
4. (8) Essendon – cannot be traded
5. (9) Hawthorn – cannot be traded
6. (10) Hawthorn – cannot be traded
7. (16) St Kilda
8. (17) Geelong
9. (18) Richmond
10. (21) Carlton
11. (22) Hawthorn
12. (24) Western Bulldogs
13. (25) Collingwood
14. (26) North Melbourne
15. (28) St Kilda
16. (30) Hawthorn
17. (32) Essendon
18. (33) Hawthorn
19. (39) Essendon
20. (37) St Kilda
21. (38) Carlton
22. (39) North Melbourne
23. (42) Melbourne
24. (45) Hawthorn
25. (47) Essendon
26. (51) Geelong
27. (52) Richmond
28. (55) Carlton
29. (56) Western Bulldogs
30. (57) Collingwood
31. (59) Melbourne
32. (62) Hawthorn
33. (64) Essendon
34. (66) St Kilda
35. (67) Geelong
36. (68) Richmond
37. (71) Carlton
38. (72) Western Bulldogs
39. (73) Collingwood
40. (74) North Melbourne
41. (77) Melbourne
42. (80) Hawthorn
43. (82) Essendon

Reply #14
So Essenscum get to pinch another side's best talent,  then get an early draft selection,  while the robbed party gets nothing?

On what planet is this anything like a fair or reasonable exercise?

Surely this is a piss take,  I can't take the AFLW seriously if this is so.