Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW off-season - Signing, trades, draft....  (Read 3805 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW off-season - Signing, trades, draft....

Reply #15
We get St Kilda's 1st Rnd pick, pick #28 (Vic Pick #15), for Nic Stevens.

Somebody obviously knows what is going on at our club, but it's not the fans!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
So Essenscum get to pinch another side's best talent,  then get an early draft selection,  while the robbed party gets nothing?

On what planet is this anything like a fair or reasonable exercise?

Surely this is a piss take,  I can't take the AFLW seriously if this is so. 
I find this just too much. I can't take this seriously either, no matter how much I've been involved. We should get the #1 pick for losing Prespakis. Simple as that. Anything is just ridiculous.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17

This has been talked about for weeks now. No surprise.

Greg will be next to the tigers.

Reply #18
We should hand the keys in and ask for a refund on the licence,  the "competition" (sic) is a farce,  totally rigged. The AFL suits buggered this totally, for their own grubby little club agendas.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
At this stage the agenda is mostly about collecting sponsorship cash, nothing more nothing less.

Unfortunately, the AFL have chosen to focussed on the marketing and spin, and not really pushing very hard on the quality of the product, it's like a cheap drop of $5 red being flogged in a $40 bottle.

I feel sorry for the girls, because really they aren't being respected as sportspeople, at least not if you measure things globally, they'll be happy with the cash but with that cash (no matter how little or how much) comes expectations of performance and loyalty, and the fans won't forget no matter how much the AFL hopes the fans stay quiet and respectful.

As a hypothetical, how many on our own list for example measure up to the bags of cash?
( Yes, I get it that the cash isn't really in bags and bags but that reality won't help them in front of grunt supporters! )

As such I think the girls are about to get a gob full of reality, if they thought things were bad for Tayla in social media, something she could easily just turn off if she chose to, wait until they are stuck in the middle of an MCG full of gold-digger abuse with nowhere to hide!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I'm not sure how else they could have done it.
In and ideal world we could have started all the teams off at the same time and the player movement would probably not have been as dramatic as it has turned out.
But with new teams entering the competition there will always be losses to the established clubs.
With hindsight, we perhaps should have waited and been the beneficiary rather than the ravaged.
But on the plus side we've got a lot of the basics up and running.

Don't invest too emotionally in this side for the next couple of years.
We've stripped it back to the skeleton and we'll see it fleshed out in the coming seasons....but it will be a legitimate Carlton side.
It will be one we can watch develop, knowing that the player movement will be a lot more settled...and we will have 100 game+ female Carlton players forging their own history....not 30 game 'fly by nighters'.

Reply #21
Don't invest too emotionally in this side for the next couple of years.
I'm fully aware of this Lods, but it won't save the current players from the abuse hurled at them from the nutters in the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06WA0mJ4ww
The winner will be showered with praise, and the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
There are people in the stands?
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Wrote a long missive/diatribe which the  computer ate.  Very upset about AFLW on many levels.

Very annoyed that the foundation clubs (particularly Pies and us)  that put the hard early work in to advance female sport, retention,  respect,  equality etc are now being treated as a vehicle by other clubs for talent, or by some individuals to get some place else. A lot of selfish and cannibalising behaviour which is quite frankly, repulsive. Reminds me of vultures mobbing a carcass. What's in it for us now Gil, now that we're just regarded as a developmental feeder club for everyone else?

ALFW is hurting other sports at the grassroots level.   Is it helping retain 14-15 y.o. girls playing sport (something I feel strongly about)?  Maybe.  Is it dragging more girls into sport?   Don't know. 
 Is it dragging players across from other sports?  100%, and the effects of this are really noticeable.   The double season is really impacting other traditional sports.  Common coaching issue now at start of preseason training: "where's X,  she could make state if she works on stuff now?"  Reply: "nah, she's at the Falcons mate,  going try and get drafted".

I've heard players and parents openly state on the siddlines "there's money it" or "they give me free stuff,  like boots".  So what was traditionally a time for off-season development (critical in many sports for 13-16 y.o. bracket)  for say tennis or netball or cricket or whatever is now being chucked for footy.  

So ALFW might be appear great at the surface,  but I get the feeling that the robbing Peter to pay Paul aspect of footy is being swept under the carpet.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
While it’s disappointing to lose prominent players, it’s inevitable with the competition’s expansion.  It’s also understandable that players will seek to maximise their opportunities and rewards.  That’s particularly so with older players who are being overtaken by new recruits with better skills and footy nous.

I suspect that the competition will be more even this season with Adelaide, Melbourne, Freo, etc losing their list advantages.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25

Well you don't get that many good players leave for no reason.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Well you don't get that many good players leave for no reason.
True, but I can't assume the reason is purely internal, there appears to be a bias in the state based drafting system that is being manipulated by the girls and their managers and leveraged by the start-up clubs. You can't blame them they are working within the system.

Given they have had such a big pay rise, why is the where and when of being drafted even a consideration now, shouldn't those rules be erased?

Money changes everything, be careful what you ask for, it might ultimately remove your rights, like playing for the team you barracked for! ;)

PS; Where were Chiocci's rights years ago?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
The hardest part of all of this is the inability to draft in players anything close to those that you lose.

When Gary Ablett left Geelong, they got 2 first round picks back.....and they got their normal first rounder as well.

We lose the equivalent in Prespakis and get to keep our only first rounder.
We end up losing Gee for free....who should get a first round compensation herself.

Gary Ablett <-> 2 first round picks, plus normal one
Prespakist <-> 0 first round picks, keep normal one.
Gee <-> *crickets*

Of course the fact the draft isn't national yet, hamstrings you more.
I'd like to see the participation levels for each state, divide that by the amount of teams in that state and see the ratio that creates.
Guarantee you SA will have more players per team than the rest of the clubs. Thats clear as day when you look at why Adelaide have been so dominant thus far. Its been a state side!

Reply #28
Another day, another couple blues out the door.

As mentioned previously, Lauren Brazzale (28yo) is out the door, reuniting with her mate Downie at the pies and picks 38 (21 in vic) and 89 (47)
Coming back the other way is Amelia Velardo (20yo) and pick 73 (39).

Also, we've traded out Wilson in a 3-way trade for pick 42 (23)
Carlton
IN: Pick No.42 (No.23 Vic)
OUT: Charlotte Wilson

Geelong
IN: Jackie Parry + Shelley Scott
OUT: Jordan Ivey + Pick No.51 (No.26 Vic)

Melbourne
IN: Jordan Ivey + Charlotte Wilson + Pick No.51 (No.26 Vic)
OUT: Jackie Parry + Shelley Scott + Pick No.42 (No.23 Vic)

Reply #29
https://www.womens.afl/news/94656/trade-wrap-day-three-blue-and-pie-swap-clubs-big-day-of-dee-partures
Carlton has now lost Maddy Prespakis and Georgia Gee (expansion signings to Essendon), Nicola Stevens (St Kilda), Charlotte Wilson (Melbourne) and Brazzale over the past few weeks, with Grace Egan (Richmond) and Courtney Jones (Gold Coast) also expected to move.

The Blues are likely to gain Phoebe McWilliams from Geelong. The veteran key forward has not yet been offered a contract by the club, meaning she could walk as a delisted free agent if a deal is not reached.