Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2022b - R2 vs Bombers - Sunday, 11:10 @ Port Melbourne (Read 3051 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2022b - R2 vs Bombers - Sunday, 11:10 @ Port Melbourne

Reply #15
We have this "typical Carlton" crap everywhere, men and women. How do you give up 3 goals in 2 minutes in the women's game when 21pts up at 3/4 time. Anyway, we are still 3pts up. with 5 min to go.
Perennial panic merchants, not a drop of bastard about us.

This has been on the cards for our club since back when we started sacking blokes like Fev and Mitch Robinson for being anti-social.

Until we lose the safe workspace and play fair attitude, we are forked as a club, destined to be victims.

We are basically mauled by opponents in last quarters in every game, they bring the heat and anti-social football, and know that we will fold under physical pressure. Soft as butter, not just a lack of physical presence, but almost zero gut running. You don't have to hit hard to play hard, but you have to run until you throw up!

How do the feck does our club rationalise "good mental health" and "player welfare" as a priority by allowing itself to be bullied and beaten up game after game after game?

It's a form of masochism, a sickness, we might as well sack the coaches and hand over control of training to the flagellants!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
A 1pt win!
The most established team v the newest team. Did not look like that was the case at any time. I'd like to find positives but I'm struggling. We suffer from perennial regression I'm afraid.
That aside. We bank 4pts and no percentage points.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Perennial panic merchants, not a drop of bastard about us.

Until we lose the safe workspace and play fair attitude, we are forked as a club, destined to be victims.

We are basically mauled by opponents in last quarters in every game.

How do the feck does our club rationalise "good mental health" and "player welfare" as a priority by allowing itself to be bullied and beaten up game after game after game? It's a form of masochism!
Not sure i agree with your take.
We were dominated in the last, sure, but i don't think we were bullied. We couldn't get our hands on the ball at the start. They had a few free kicks that ensured they kept the momentum.

We monstered them for the first 3/4's.

Reply #18
A 1pt win!
The most established team v the newest team. Did not look like that was the case at any time. I'd like to find positives but I'm struggling. We suffer from perennial regression I'm afraid.

Bombers will be better than the other expansion sides as they drafted/poached pretty well.
They will beat some more established sides this year.

We lost plenty of talent (7 players?)and will take some time to find a settled lineup again.
I thought today we played much better as a team unit. They had more individuals that almost got them over the line.

Reply #19
Not sure i agree with your take.
We were dominated in the last, sure, but i don't think we were bullied. We couldn't get our hands on the ball at the start. They had a few free kicks that ensured they kept the momentum.

We monstered them for the first 3/4's.
We are happy front runners, all team tackling and run and receive when it's downhill, but as soon as the blowtorch arrives and we are hunted, other than Peterson and Moody, we basically step back and are happy to surrender first use.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
A 1pt win!

The first 3 qtrs, very positive but that last qtr is something that seems to run through the club. Letting the opposition kick 3 goals in a couple of minutes when on top is just so Carlton at any level, let alone the women's game where goals are so tough to get.

Reply #21
Hearing you but after the last month this club just needed to win a bloody game. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
We are happy front runners, all team tackling and run and receive when it's downhill, but as soon as the blowtorch arrives and we are hunted, other than Peterson and Moody, we basically step back and are happy to surrender first use.
How did we get in front? We monstered them.
We gave them no space. We tackled, smothered, and pressured with intent.

Perhaps its a sign of the times that, just like the mens game, you cannot go 100% for 100% of the time.
Perhaps we need to find a balance.

Keeping in mind we had...
Keeley Skepper playing her first game
Mia Austin playing her second game
Annie Lee playing her 5th game
Brooke Vickers playing her 5th game
Keeley Sherar playing her 8th game
and even the 'experienced'
Mimi Hill was playing just her 14th game.

All of the above are either 18 or 19, thats 1/4 of your side.

Add that many that age to any side and you are not going to find a side capable of performing such a physical style for a full 4 quarters.
We are babies.

Reply #23
All of the above are either 18 or 19, thats 1/4 of your side.
Not that CheatsFC we really much different.

I think as a club we've just come to accept tardiness, we've been kicked around at the bottom of the ladder too long and as such our mindset accepts being challenged with little or no push back. We are timid, we are submissive, we like playing nice, both in the AFL and the AFLW.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Not that CheatsFC we really much different.

I think as a club we've just come to accept tardiness, we've been kicked around at the bottom of the ladder too long and as such our mindset accepts being challenged with little or no push back. We are timid, we are submissive, we like playing nice, both in the AFL and the AFLW.
Bombers only had 5 players aged 18-19. We had 6.
We are younger than the expansion team which is what i'm trying to get across.
We are babies.
Bombers poached well.

Reply #25
The first 3 qtrs, very positive but that last qtr is something that seems to run through the club. Letting the opposition kick 3 goals in a couple of minutes when on top is just so Carlton at any level, let alone the women's game where goals are so tough to get.

With respect. 3q is not enough in a game that runs for 4q. Although we've had changes, we also have a core group that have played together for 1 - 6 seasons. Unlike the 1 game experience the had. Despite that they played out the game. Turning up the heat in 4q. No excuses IMO.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #26
With respect. 3q is not enough in a game that runs for 4q. Although we've had changes, we also have a core group that have played together for 1 - 6 seasons. Unlike the 1 game experience the had. Despite that they played out the game. Turning up the heat in 4q. No excuses IMO.

In terms of first games for the club (most recruited that same year)
Vescio, Moody, Pound and Plane (who didn't play today) are the only players remaining from season 1.
Kez Peterson (Harrington) joined in Season 2.
In season 3 we got B. Walker (didn't play today) and McKay
Season 4 is McEvoy, Laloifi
Season 5 is O'Dea, Hill, Guerrin, D. Walker
Season 6 is Lee, Trudgeon, Sherar, Vickers and Dal Pos.

So again, we are building/rebuilding with a bunch of kids.

People forget that the Bombers VFLW team won the flag this year. They have played together about as much as we have.

Reply #27
The Bombres were lucky to get that close. We outplayed them for most of the game but a fickle bounce or two and free kicks that went their way got them back into the game.

I thought we had a much better structure this week but we're still struggling to take advantage of our inside 50s.  Maybe try Kez as a forward or bring in Gibbs.

Interestingly, Prespakis seemed to get her share of free kicks; certainly better than when she was in navy blue  ::)  She had a good game but I think that the youngsters coming through now will pass her by with their speed and athleticism.  Gee didn't do a lot and I don't think we'll miss her.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
Gee didn't do a lot and I don't think we'll miss her.
Yes, I think this is self-evident, we can't value the player relationship over the capability or capacity.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
I was simply pleased to get the win. We had he guts ripped out of our team. We're so young it is not funny. We're still learning the caper. To win, especially against our traitors, was a step forward.
Live Long and Prosper!