Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Finals Week 2: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 4412 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Finals Week 2: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #60
Haven't seen the game yet; I was at a wedding. To kick 3 goals 8 in the last quarter to lose ... this is too much like the Carlton of 2022. It really does break the heart.
From the stats:
[1] Dow showed how good he could be. 41 possessions and 15 clearances! Can he do it in the seniors? Damned good question.
[2] We struggled all year without a key forward. Crocker did the job, but he isn't 195 cm+. Really amazing, considering the structural issues our team had.
[3] Mirkov really won the rucks. He had 52 taps!
[4] Ned Cahill wants a chance. Can we give it to him? He had 10 tackles as a small forward.
Crash the conditions weren't ideal, whilst it wasn't raining, there was a QLD style downpour before the game and it was wet and slippery. There was a 3-5 goal wind blowing to the end we had in the 2nd and 4th. We were 26 odd points down at 3/4 time and reeled them in to level. As Jim said, we had a gagillion inside 50s in the 4th for 3.8, they had 3 and was enough to win. Lots of turnovers but they seemed cleaner with the ball for the majority of the game. This is huge call but if we as a club could kick the regulation goals we get as opportunities and always seem to miss, our 1s and 2s would be premiers.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #61
The ground wasn't VFL standard.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #62
We must resign Stocker he is hard at it ,never shirks a contest, flies the flag when teammates are roughed up and knows how to get his own ball. Kicking needs tidying up but the rest of what he brings is something we don’t have a lot of. Toughness.

Reply #63
We must resign Stocker he is hard at it ,never shirks a contest, flies the flag when teammates are roughed up and knows how to get his own ball. Kicking needs tidying up but the rest of what he brings is something we don’t have a lot of. Toughness.

He's the master of the old fashioned hip n shoulder. Tonka Tough 💪
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #64
Stocker is a required player and as the finals have shown it's a contested players game these days and being able to win your own ball, tackle and stand up in tackles is king and we need more of that and a few hombres like Stocker who can mix it when necessary.

Reply #65
Stocker actually relishes the hard contest. You only have to look at his face as he gets into it. Very much a required player imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #66
I'd actually like to see Stocker on the half forward line....at the very least he'd be a 'distraction' for the opposition. ;D

Reply #67
Haven't seen the game yet; I was at a wedding. To kick 3 goals 8 in the last quarter to lose ... this is too much like the Carlton of 2022. It really does break the heart.
From the stats:
[1] Dow showed how good he could be. 41 possessions and 15 clearances! Can he do it in the seniors? Damned good question.
[2] We struggled all year without a key forward. Crocker did the job, but he isn't 195 cm+. Really amazing, considering the structural issues our team had.
[3] Mirkov really won the rucks. He had 52 taps!
[4] Ned Cahill wants a chance. Can we give it to him? He had 10 tackles as a small forward.

Big Yes to Cahill - I'm a fan of his but need to let one go I don't like the idea of having four small forwards on the list takes up too much real estate.
Big Yes to Crocker - need more medium/small forwards that can take an overhead mark - lost count how many times our small forwards were outsized.
Big Yes to drafting a young tall forward on the slow cooker.

Reply #68
Big Yes to Cahill - I'm a fan of his but need to let one go I don't like the idea of having four small forwards on the list takes up too much real estate.
Big Yes to Crocker - need more medium/small forwards that can take an overhead mark - lost count how many times our small forwards were outsized.
Big Yes to drafting a young tall forward on the slow cooker.

Cahill is an ok player but I think we need that Elliott, Weightman, Papley, Cameron type who is also a marking threat even vs taller players, ours are all one trick pony crumbers with maybe Owies being a bit different as he also leads up for the ball.
For me Cahill is more of the same as what we have and any players we get from now on in should have a point of difference to their game that we dont already have ie Acres is a tall marking winger which we dont have so for me thats an ok move to get him.
Getting Hayes however was a complete waste of time, you look at Collingwood and they got Johnson who has been a point of difference for them and given them something new but Hayes is just another small winger mid which we have in numbers...

Reply #69
Cahill has already been in the system hasn't he, struggled to develop an AFL level tank?

FWIW, as much as I love to watch Crocker and hate to say it, the same applies.

Believe me, I would like nothing more than AFL to be a footballers game, but it's further from that now than it has ever been and the way it is heading it's never going back!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Cahill has already been in the system hasn't he, struggled to develop an AFL level tank?

FWIW, as much as I love to watch Crocker and hate to say it, the same applies.

Believe me, I would like nothing more than AFL to be a footballers game, but it's further from that now than it has ever been and the way it is heading it's never going back!
Same could be said about Jack Silvagni when you do all the AFL testing.

However, throw a ball in front of him and all that testing goes out the window.
Crocker is a footballer, not an athlete. Sure his numbers might not stack up against some 18yo kid coming through with his repeat sprints and agility levels etc. Put a football out there and see how little those numbers matter.

Was the same with Cripps. I said at the time that after seeing his first 3 minute highlight video that he was a footballer who could play and i wanted him.
Bombers laughed when we got him.
Numbers mean squat when there is a football in front of him.

Draft by vision, effort and performance, not by numbers on a stopwatch.

Reply #71
Same could be said about Jack Silvagni when you do all the AFL testing.

However, throw a ball in front of him and all that testing goes out the window.
So we'll have a team full of them, let's go!

We already struggle just fitting in one or two!

You and I spent a lot of last season discussing the various for or against of various players who chase or won't, either because they refuse or because they simply can't. Let's not ignore that history of debate just to pose an argument for or against some favourite.

Half of the game is chasing, catching and stopping, it's not just about what you can do when you already have the footy, it's also about getting the footy or getting it back.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Everyone wants a mid sized creative player who knows where the goals are and takes a high mark.

Someone like Mitch McGovern maybe? We put him back this season, but he goes well up forward and I'd be interested in see him take the 3rd forward role. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #73
Half of the game is chasing, catching and stopping, it's not just about what you can do when you already have the footy, it's also about getting the footy or getting it back.
Ultimately the game is about kicking it through the big sticks more than the opposition.

If player A kicks a goal for every 5 touches he gets and might miss 1 tackle through lack of chasing.
and
Player B kicks a goal for every 10 possessions he gets and gets an extra tackle through chasing.

Who are we better off having?

Even if that tackle leads to a free kick (keep in mind 'tackles = free kicks' is almost laughable in the modern game) then they still need to translate that into a goal to break even.

Reply #74
So much for the Stocker fans - what do we know?