Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Queen Elizabeth II (Read 5742 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Reply #45
Just heard that the funeral date will be set to fit in with the Brownlow. Or was it the other way around? 🙃
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #46
People don't die every day, and im confident indigenous round could have been moved if they didn't want to share it, and they could have worn the indigenous jumpers an extra week.

Or should they do a minutes silence next week instead?

Personally I dont care really.  The royal family have been irrelevant since voting for a prime minister became a thing and thats not even here in Australia its over in Britain.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #47
The monarchy may not be the future but if you really believe in being inclusive then you have to respect the past and a lot of Anzacs gave their lives for Queen and country and it's disrespecting them imho.
I thought many of them gave their lives to defeat Hitler’s Nazis and stop the Japanese invading. They certainly didn’t do it for Liz as she wasn’t the Queen at that stage. I wonder whether they’ve stopped turning in their graves after we dumped “God Save the King” as our national anthem.

Reply #48
@Mav you're deliberately inverting the argument, and fabricating the promotion what is a rather minor and very momentary event to to a point of total domination. This isn't sharing indigenous round, it's not even sharing the game.

As I pointed out, it would be as absurd as banning the welcome to country on the Queen's Birthday round.

What is the reason, why do you want this divide?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
I thought many of them gave their lives to defeat Hitler’s Nazis and stop the Japanese invading. They certainly didn’t do it for Liz as she wasn’t the Queen at that stage. I wonder whether they’ve stopped turning in their graves after we dumped “God Save the King” as our national anthem.
There is a bit of irony in your making that point, didn't they (the Anzacs) defend the indigenous as well, or was it that the indigenous did not want or need a defence?

Despite being itself under attack, Britain did send resources and share technologies to aid in Australia's defence, as did the USA and other Allies, as far as I know they didn't exclude anyone.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
You say “they” defended the indigenous Australians, implying they were white guys. But you’re right! Indigenous Australians were excluded from service. A few were allowed in as long as they were “substantially of European origin”. I guess you could say the ANZACs defended the indigenous Australians in the same way they defended kangaroos and koalas. Should we focus on the protection provided as an unintentional consequence of protecting White Australia or should we focus on the discrimination that excluded indigenous Australians from the armed forces?

Reply #51
It’s just bad luck for Liz that she died during Indigenous Round.
The selfish bitch
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #52
The selfish bitch
Another feeble attempt to hijack an indigenous culture by The Firm, formerly known as the East India Trading Company.

If we had allowed them a minute and they would have taken a millennium!

Luckily for us naivés, this cunning plan was foiled on our behalf by those with open eyes and open minds!

Anyway, enough time wasted, I'm off to the far northern shores to welcome the Chinese to country, apparently they are going to respect the land and leave the gold and coal in the ground! There will be no explosive demolition of indigenous art under Xi, the Chinese understand sovereignty it seems, they have promised! ;D

Unfortunately for our 1st nations people, the friendly Japanese attempting to free our 1st nations people from slavery were crushed by the invaders in residence. :o

I'm not going to live this down am I?  :(

If you think I'm not taking some of the extreme perspectives too seriously, well ....................... you could be right!

Reminds me of the time Thry refused to wear a rainbow ribbon, it was an incurable offence requiring the burning of the joint to the ground, as a bare minimum!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
Another feeble attempt to hijack an indigenous culture by The Firm, formerly known as the East India Trading Company.

If we had allowed them a minute and they would have taken a millennium!

Luckily for us naivés, this cunning plan was foiled on our behalf by those with open eyes and open minds!

Anyway, enough time wasted, I'm off to the far northern shores to welcome the Chinese to country, apparently they are going to respect the land and leave the gold and coal in the ground! There will be no explosive demolition of indigenous art under Xi, the Chinese understand sovereignty it seems, they have promised! ;D

Unfortunately for our 1st nations people, the friendly Japanese attempting to free our 1st nations people from slavery were crushed by the invaders in residence. :o

I'm not going to live this down am I? :(

If you think I'm not taking some of the extreme perspectives too seriously, well ....................... you could be right!

Probably not. Though I get where you're coming from, Spotted One... you've gotta work on your timing.  ;)  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #54
As a half Irish quarter Scottish 1% Greek I toasted Her Majesty passing with a shot of "The Dubliner" Irish Whisky liqueur and proffered sarcastically the traditional Gaelic toast "Slainte" (health) to which my 7/8th Gaelic daughter responded "F uck that, Up the Ra!"

Reply #55
This means more to me than any BS opinion from us white folk:
From the HS:
How the AFL will honour Queen’s passing as league scraps minute’s silence at AFLW games and moves Brownlow Medal night
The decision to scrap the minute’s silence at AFLW matches due to Indigenous Round sensitivities has been met with backlash. Plus, the big Brownlow change locked in.

The decision to scrap the minute’s silence at AFLW matches due to Indigenous Round sensitivities has been met with backlash. Plus, the big Brownlow change locked in.
Indigenous elder Ian Hunter has slammed the AFL’s decision to not observe a minute’s silence to honour Queen Elizabeth II during this weekend’s AFLW round of football.
The AFLW is celebrating Indigenous round, with a decision being made to scrap the minute’s silence after the league considered sensitivities regarding the issue.

A minute’s silence was held on Friday night before the Western Bulldogs’ win over Fremantle at Ikon Park but will not feature for the remainder of the AFLW round.

Ian Hunter said it was “deeply disrespectful” to not stand for the moment’s silence in honour of Her Majesty.

“It is totally disrespectful to our country who is a part of the British colony, disrespectful, that’s what I’d say,” he said.

“The problem was there was probably one or two individuals going ‘I don’t reckon we should because of it being Indigenous round’.”

A ceremony to mark the monarch’s death, including a minute’s silence, was conducted before the Melbourne-Brisbane men’s semi-final on Friday night. A minute’s silence will again be observed before the Collingwood-Fremantle match at the MCG on Saturday night.

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #56

She worked as a mechanic and ambulance driver during the Second World War didnt she?, and was the first woman in the Royal family to put herself up for active duty, I think a lot of Anzacs would respect her for that and be happy to give her a minute of their time.

Reply #57
It's all a bit strange and confusing...and as usual is a discussion that has folks with strong and opposing views.

I've seen the Aboriginal flag flown at half mast in various places in the last 24 hours.
I'm sure there have been some uncomfortable with that, but it doesn't seem to have caused a lot of fuss.
There may have been some complaints.
I haven't seen them.

A minutes silence may have caused some angst during an indigenous round.
Not having a minutes silence has also caused a problem.
...and it seems some indigenous leaders recognise the potential for backlash.

Some members of parliament have strong views that are totally anti-monarchy
Yet they swear an oath to that same monarch so they can take their place, otherwise they lose their influence.

Reply #58
I wonder how many elders the Hun had to approach before they finally found someone to quote. I can’t wait for the Hun to publish its endorsement for the upcoming Victorian election. It’s so exciting. Will it be Labor or Liberal? Who can say? The uncertainty is killing me.

Reply #59
I wonder how many elders the Hun had to approach before they finally found someone to quote. I can’t wait for the Hun to publish its endorsement for the upcoming Victorian election. It’s so exciting. Will it be Labor or Liberal? Who can say? The uncertainty is killing me.
We must stop the elder having an opinion immediately.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th