Skip to main content
Topic: Brownlow Medal 2022 (Read 8221 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brownlow Medal 2022

Reply #165
Thought the same thing when I saw 3 Leos post. We are obviously of a similar vintage. In my first 25 years of barracking for the BlueBaggers I saw us win 7 Premierships and lose 4.

We are. We both just turned 28...haha

Reply #166
There’s a huge difference when you measure our success over the last 35 years and the 35 years before that.

I’ve been lucky enough to witness the Mighty Blues in 14 grand finals for 8 cups 🙂

Technically i'm 14 as well but have no real memory of football in 1962 at 5yo so didn't count it. My mother got me supporting the Blues in 1964, before the old man could get in and make me a Swans supporter....lol.

My first game was Carlton v Melbourne in 1964. 3rd last, us, v the Premiers, Melbourne. We led most of the day but got run over by 2 goals.

Reply #167
The first game I saw live was in 1970; Carlton vs Melbourne at the MCG. Jezza kicked his 100th goal that day and we won comfortably. Fans ran out on the ground 4 times, the first three because long shots from Jezza got touched on the line.

The 1st GF I saw was 1973 when we lost to the thugs of Richmond. I will never forgive them for that.

I saw all our premierships from there live. I saw 1968. 1970 and 1972 on the TV, as black and white replays.

It was a heady thing indeed to be a Carlton supporter in those days. The last generation really haven't seen Carlton as the powerhouse we were for more than 30 years.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #168
Technically i'm 14 as well but have no real memory of football in 1962 at 5yo so didn't count it. My mother got me supporting the Blues in 1964, before the old man could get in and make me a Swans supporter....lol.

My first game was Carlton v Melbourne in 1964. 3rd last, us, v the Premiers, Melbourne. We led most of the day but got run over by 2 goals.
I remember 1964 as being our worst ever to that stage as we finished 10th
hard to believe as we are happy to finish 9th this year 🙄🤔
Upheaval at board level in came Harris and Barassi and the rest is history kicking off a golden era!

Reply #169

Very similar story here. I also started barracking for the BlueBaggers in '64... believe it or not, I felt sorry for them and liked the jumper. We were near the bottom and struggling - hence feeling sorry for them (good old Aussie favouring the underdog mentality). First game was Fluffy Ducks v Us. We won by 25 pts.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #170
The umpire at the centre of the betting scandal has been named as Michael Pell

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/14/report-afl-umpire-entangled-in-illegal-brownlow-betting-named/
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #171
It's been quite the year for scandals.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Cripps has the Brownlow with an *

Reply #172
It's been quite the year for scandals.

Hopefully this doesn't mean Cripps has the Brownlow with an *
No, Cripps is fine, it's not about the overall result it's about gambling / odds and spot betting on round bye round votes, etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
No, Cripps is fine, it's not about the overall result it's about gambling / odds and spot betting on round bye round votes, etc., etc..

I see. Thanks.

Reply #174
A Newsbreak suggested the umpire has been arrested. 
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #177
That’s mostly true. But when he gave Cripps votes, did he believe he deserved them? Giving surprise votes to a player would definitely be of interest to punters and would tell them that the odds of that player winning are better than the market odds. I’m not saying this happened but that’s the concern.

For instance, if sports betting had been in vogue when Diesel was pipped at the post by Wanganeen, punters would have been very interested to know that the umpires gave Diesel no votes in the last game despite racking up over 40 possessions. Punters would have pencilled in 3 votes for Diesel in that game, so knowing the way the umpires voted would give a punter a massive advantage over other punters.

If Pell gave Cripps 3 votes in a game in which he was clearly best on ground, that wouldn’t have given the punters who were told this much, if any, advantage.

So, was this just a leak or an attempt to put a finger on the scales?

Reply #178
The only Carlton game he umpired was our loss to Fremantle. Of course Cripps got 3 votes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #179
More detail has been released.
Chief football reporter at the Herald Sun, Mark Robinson, wrote one betting agency was alerted to “a punter or punters placing bets on players’ votes in different matches and winning every time.”

“By the end of the count, a red flag was beside his name.”

The league, Robinson wrote, then cross-checked the betting patterns with other betting partners and found the same individual/s placing similar bets.

Subsequent cross-checking on the games themselves then reportedly showed Pell as the one constant.

It looks like the bets weren’t on who’d win the Brownlow, which would have still been a gamble even with a bit of inside info. The bets placed were not gambles at all as the votes in particular games were known to a certainty. It also doesn’t seem that Cripps was the only player whose votes were at issue. From the punters perspective, it wasn’t important who received votes, save that perhaps the bookies were only offering bets on the Brownlow favourites rather than every player in the league. But perhaps that’s not an important rider as it may have been possible to bet against a favourite receiving a vote in a certain game.

Fair dinkum, Bookies really create a problem for sporting integrity by offering “exotic” or spot betting options. That was at the heart of cricket betting scandals as players were paid to bowl a wide on specific balls in the game so punters or bookies could clean up on bets concerning the outcome for those deliveries. Why the hell are they offering bets on the votes on particular games? That creates a massive opportunity for leaks to translate into certain wins.