Skip to main content
Topic: Brownlow Medal 2022 (Read 8205 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brownlow Medal 2022

Reply #75
"AFL boss Gill McLachlan has said he is “very agitated” by the controversial league Appeals Board decision that ultimately gave Patrick Cripps Brownlow glory."

Two words for Gill...... and the second one is OFF!!!

Old news from.a couple of weeks ago the HeraldSun have just made a headline.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #76
It's interesting, apparently more players polled in losing teams in this years Brownlow than ever before, apparently the trend about polling if you win is only a very recent trend. Maybe they mean the AFL era. The report sounded to me like a disgruntled punter.

Before the two or more umpires it was quite common for players to poll well in losing sides. This seems to be confirmed by my memory, guys like Skilton, Harvey, Stewart, Bedford or Murray it was pretty common for lowly VFL teams to claim the Brownlow. Then the AFL era changed it, and teams had to be winning before a player had a chance. But it feels to me like it was the AFL era that was delivering the artificial results, not the past.

I was chatting with a guy at the weekend who is connected with umpire development, he made an interesting comment about the pending changes and the long term trends. He said the AFL have worked out that the best umpires are not always AFL capable, not because of the decision making but because they are physically unable to keep up with play. He said this is a big driving force in the pending changes towards more umpires. You'll basically have a panel of top class umpires capable of officiating multiple games each and every weekend. I'm sure that will change the Brownlow voting as well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #77
"AFL boss Gill McLachlan has said he is “very agitated” by the controversial league Appeals Board decision that ultimately gave Patrick Cripps Brownlow glory."

Yep, and I loved Petracca getting screwed off with Gils mispronunciation of his name. Having an Italian background, I love when young people of Euro heritage take the time to correct poor pronunciation of names, it shows attention to detail and that they care about their heritage. Not like peanuts such as Montagna (phonetically Mon-tun-ya) and Rochele (Ro-ke-le) from Adelaide who open tell people to pronounce their name the wrong way. Ricciardo (Rich-ardo) is another imbecile. Its not that hard fellas, have some pride.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
Fargum
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #79
It's just Flubbo's CheatsFC dominated crew trying hard to throw mud and steal the focus, some of them even went with a "Cripps steals Brownlow" headline for a short period of time but it has been retracted.

Just shows you how low these filthy cheats can be, and why I assert you have to question everything they publish, make them justify the claims they make before you accept any part of them. They are neither professional or impartial, in the Murdoch era they are basically opinionated and syndicated bloggers who deserve little to no respect!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #80
It's just Flubbo's CheatsFC dominated crew trying hard to throw mud and steal the focus, some of them even went with a "Cripps steals Brownlow" headline for a short period of time but it has been retracted.

Just shows you how low these filthy cheats can be, and why I assert you have to question everything they publish, make them justify the claims they make before you accept any part of them.

So glad you also noticed this, Spotted One. I nearly fell off the sofa when I read that late last night. Couldn't believe it. The Age headline was 'Cripps Wins Brownlow'... HUN, 'Cripps Steals Brownlow.' They owe the AFL, CFC, Crippa and the footy public an apology. If there is one media outlet (or is that 'sewerage' outlet?) that can cheapen any event, anywhere in the world, it's the HUN.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #81
Given his current CV and his potential over the life of his current contract, where might he rank in the leadership company of Nicholls, Kernahan, and Judd??

Reply #82
Given his current CV and his potential over the life of his current contract, where might he rank in the leadership company of Nicholls, Kernahan, and Judd??
Personally, Nicholls was in a different class, right up there with Barassi as far as I am concerned, they didn't just dominate themselves but they made those around them better. Blokes would go into battle for them.

Actually, to me I think what I can see Voss bringing to Carlton is vaguely similar, but I'm in no illusion that it's Voss driving that change and that the players have bought in.

I'd probably rank Cripps up there with Judd, what they bring on game day is quite similar in terms of influence, at their very best they have no peer. But they also have that shortfall, no matter how good they may be as individuals they live or die by those around them. As such they are more about individual brilliance.

Sticks was a bit different, a blend of both types, which is why he is so highly regarded.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #83
Yep, and I loved Petracca getting screwed off with Gils mispronunciation of his name. Having an Italian background, I love when young people of Euro heritage take the time to correct poor pronunciation of names, it shows attention to detail and that they care about their heritage. Not like peanuts such as Montagna (phonetically Mon-tun-ya) and Rochele (Ro-ke-le) from Adelaide who open tell people to pronounce their name the wrong way. Ricciardo (Rich-ardo) is another imbecile. Its not that hard fellas, have some pride.

I agree, but maybe we're just a couple of grumpy old Italian dudes. Scotty "Campa-relli" is another one that did my head in.

Reply #84
Just watched Crippa's acceptance speech. All class. And what stood out in his well chosen words was how much he spoke about others... humility.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #85
Voss is the best leader I have seen and what a player he was, you know the standards he would want from his players would be next level.
It would break or make some players and I reckon it helped drag Cripps from despair to a Brownlow and Voss would get some enrichment from that which hopefully flows onto the rest of the playing group.

Reply #86
I agree, but maybe we're just a couple of grumpy old Italian dudes. Scotty "Campa-relli" is another one that did my head in.
Truedat. Its not just us grumpy old Italian dudes though, I have heard H's mum on more than tell media how to pronounce their name (Muk-eye). Also heard the Fogarty's say how theirs are prounced (one is Foe-garty, the other Fo-garty)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #87

That sounds like a self entitled, jealous schoolyard stab in the back!

I've got 2 words for that. Grow up.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #88
Just watched Crippa's acceptance speech. All class. And what stood out in his well chosen words was how much he spoke about others... humility.
A class act indeed, summed up very well by Tony Jones from Channel 9:
From the HS
Jones went on to praise the winner Patrick Cripps as a “remarkable young man” and said not a single person in the room had begrudged the Carlton star the honour.

“He had a big year,” Jones said.

“I think the thing about Patrick Cripps is it’s the Patrick Cripps off the field that everyone is just so impressed with. He’s a remarkable young man. And the way he spoke about his family, he’s from country WA and from the farm and spoke about how his dad in 2006 and 20007, it was, the era with the big drought how he battled through it.

“Never changed his demeanour. It was absolutely beautiful the way he spoke about his family. They were there to help celebrate with him along with his fiancee. If I guess any sporting administrator would love a list of Patrick Cripps not only because of his football prowess but because of the young man he is. Not a person in the room who he (sic) begrudged him that honour last night.”
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #89
Voss is the best leader I have seen and what a player he was, you know the standards he would want from his players would be next level.
It would break or make some players and I reckon it helped drag Cripps from despair to a Brownlow and Voss would get some enrichment from that which hopefully flows onto the rest of the playing group.

That has a nice flow. Vossy > Wines > Crippa > Carlton
Could be the special sequence that sets up our next Success
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.