Skip to main content
Topic: Brownlow Medal 2022 (Read 8597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brownlow Medal 2022

Reply #90
Cripps is a deserving winner.
I think though it highlights a major flaw in the system.
Except for the hardwork of some legal folk and the backing of the club he could very well have been denied.
There's plenty of 'petty' social media stuff going on today.

The way rules are interpreted these days, especially in relation to a bump in the split second moment of a contest.... the fact that suspension renders you ineligible is no longer as relevant as in the days of the 'free for all'.

The winner of the Brownlow should just be the 'Best' player over the season.
'Fairest' is redundant.
If they're serial transgressors they'll lose enough votes through missing games and do themselves out of the award anyway.

Reply #91
Truedat. Its not just us grumpy old Italian dudes though, I have heard H's mum on more than tell media how to pronounce their name (Muk-eye)..........................

Good point. I saw a clip of Harry's mom giving the correct pronunciation at a CFC Mother's Day function a year or two ago.

Reply #92
It's interesting, apparently more players polled in losing teams in this years Brownlow than ever before, apparently the trend about polling if you win is only a very recent trend. Maybe they mean the AFL era. The report sounded to me like a disgruntled punter.

Before the two or more umpires it was quite common for players to poll well in losing sides. This seems to be confirmed by my memory, guys like Skilton, Harvey, Stewart, Bedford or Murray it was pretty common for lowly VFL teams to claim the Brownlow. Then the AFL era changed it, and teams had to be winning before a player had a chance. But it feels to me like it was the AFL era that was delivering the artificial results, not the past.

I was chatting with a guy at the weekend who is connected with umpire development, he made an interesting comment about the pending changes and the long term trends. He said the AFL have worked out that the best umpires are not always AFL capable, not because of the decision making but because they are physically unable to keep up with play. He said this is a big driving force in the pending changes towards more umpires. You'll basically have a panel of top class umpires capable of officiating multiple games each and every weekend. I'm sure that will change the Brownlow voting as well.

It makes more sense for the teams that lose to have better individuals in the modern game.  Collingwood epitomise this, they are a death by a thousand cuts team. Their best players are not necessarily amazing footballers by league standards.  Its their worst ones that influence games at the right moments that make the difference.

Rightly or wrongly, Carlton STILL have the issue where there are about 6 or 7 key performers that decide our fate on game day.  We have seen that list grow this season, and a few surprise players stepping up at times to help us get across the line, but we are still very reliant on Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Docherty, Mckay and Curnow before we get the W.  IF any of those players don't fire, we generally have a tough day at the office. 

Cripps has been an amazing player in a crap team since 2014.  He has been brownlow worthy for at least 3 of those seasons, and missed out purely because we didnt win enough games for him to get the BOG votes, but he was still worthy.  The reasons behind that had more to do with the rest of the team and how bad they were than him. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #93
Good point. I saw a clip of Harry's mom giving the correct pronunciation at a CFC Mother's Day function a year or two ago.

Personally, I like it, but the majority of people have no hope pronouncing my name even though it is spelt phoenetically.  The Greeks don't have the problem of having difficult characters or too much variance in the spelling, but length seems to cause a tongue twiser where someone who has a grasp on the English language somehow shouldnt have a problem, but still does.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #94
We have a Brownlow Medallist in Cripps, Sam Walsh who finished 4th last year with 30 votes, and the Coleman Medallists from the last 2 years … and we didn’t make the finals.

It’s a bit like when we had Judd & Fev.

Reply #96
Thoroughly deserved. Spoke so well too!

But I came here to say I was wrong. I wanted him traded. There you go, it’s official - I know NOTHING!
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #97
Thoroughly deserved. Spoke so well too!

But I came here to say I was wrong. I wanted him traded. There you go, it’s official - I know NOTHING!
I think the person who has proved everybody wrong is Voss.

In the past we looked to be suffering constant disunity, many thought it was an insurmountable problem to correct while we retained the same personal, I was also one who thought trading such stars might be the only solution, Voss ( Maybe with a little bit of Cook mixed in ) has proved everybody wrong. It was never about individual ability, and all about collective unity!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
We have a Brownlow Medallist in Cripps, Sam Walsh who finished 4th last year with 30 votes, and the Coleman Medallists from the last 2 years … and we didn’t make the finals.

It’s a bit like when we had Judd & Fev.
The big upside to this is we have the main cast in place, we just need to find/develop/import a half-decent support crew and we will be up to our necks in September.  

And a bit of Voss et al influence over a full pre-season might just be the fairy dust.

2021 : Coleman Medal

2022 : Coleman Medal, Brownlow Medal

Let's get the hat-trick next year!

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #99
Got no doubt that Cripps' win, along with how far Collingwood got this year, will be a big driver going into next season. Cripps and Voss will be urging the players to come back for preseason in top shape and be ready to push up into the 8 and make a big charge at it next year.

Saw some footage this morning of Cripps and his family which must've been just after the count.....if you haven't seen it, check it on IG. Truly beautiful moment and hard to keep dry eyes.

He carried the club for quite a few years when we were ordinary on the field. So well deserved that he gets this award and the personal recognition but no doubting what will be driving him....standing on the dais as captain of the CFC and holding the Premiership Cup up.

Reply #100
Wonder how many of our crew got injured last night.

We are Carlton.....

Reply #101
Yep, and I loved Petracca getting screwed off with Gils mispronunciation of his name. Having an Italian background, I love when young people of Euro heritage take the time to correct poor pronunciation of names, it shows attention to detail and that they care about their heritage. Not like peanuts such as Montagna (phonetically Mon-tun-ya) and Rochele (Ro-ke-le) from Adelaide who open tell people to pronounce their name the wrong way. Ricciardo (Rich-ardo) is another imbecile. Its not that hard fellas, have some pride.

Do you get regional differences in pronunciation?

British names can be pronounced differently based on location, status and/or preference.  For example, one of my ancestral names is St John (pronounced Saint John) but some Brits pronounce it Sinjin.  Then there's McKay (MacKay or Mackeye), Strachan (Strack-an or Strawn and Mainwaring (as it's spelt or Mannering).

I have been quite happy with Gil's attempts to pronounce names.  He is a lot better than those who came before but you'd think he would have practised Petracca.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #102
I actually thought it was extremely poor he didn’t get Petracca right and the way he was saying it was really bogan Aussie tbh (Euro heritage here too).

Petracca is hardly someone that we’ve not heard of before, really crap of Gil. 

Reply #103
Also Someone mentioned social media has a littering of derogatory comments about our boy and it’s been difficult not engaging but end of the day I personally thought he should never have been reported to begin with.

Cripps is not a dirty player and for all the scraping and scragging and tagging he gets, he’d be forgiven for occasionally being fed up and throwing an arm back. But he hasn’t and doesn’t.

He is an exemplary footballer and person. Thoroughly deserved.

Had a bunch of friends msg last night that do not barrack for Carlton, all with only pure admiration and happiness for the guy!

Reply #104
We’re a happy team…..!