Skip to main content
Topic: Brownlow Medal 2022 (Read 8214 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brownlow Medal 2022

Reply #150
Geelong tell that story better than any other team in the competition.

Everyone likes to call them dads army, but they have really smashed it out of the park with their approach.

North Melbourne were doing alright too until they stopped being able to attract a decent player.
 They sell the seaside lifestyle and get plenty of bites.  Are there any Geelong players who don't live 'on the coast'...? 
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #151
They sell the seaside lifestyle and get plenty of bites.  Are there any Geelong players who don't live 'on the coast'...?
Too true, nice place to retire along the coast and Id be interested the number of ex imported in Geelong players who have kept it as their home after football.

Reply #152

Everyone likes to call them dads army, but they have really smashed it out of the park with their approach.

Well instead of gambling on kids who could be 10 year players but most of the time fail they recruit sure things who might only have 3-5 years left but that is better than what Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, Kemp or SPS have given us.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #153

North Melbourne were doing alright too until they stopped being able to attract a decent player.
They are Dad's Army, the fact is its PFs and GFs that Dad's Armies win if they can get there. For a bunch of old blokes, they have been both lucky with injury and well managed. As a group though, their time in the sun is limited.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #154
They are Dad's Army, the fact is its PFs and GFs that Dad's Armies win if they can get there. For a bunch of old blokes, they have been both lucky with injury and well managed. As a group though, their time in the sun is limited.
Yes, very well managed, but they will be hell bent to keep the opposition on a leash, if the Swans get off the leash the ball might not get into the Handbaggers F50.

For the Swans to win, I think Hickey has to be the Norm Smith, it's not impossible.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #155
I think Geelong have a very good balance of youth and experience. I can't think of one kid who hasn't shown something : Max Holmes, Sam De Koning, Gryan Miers (admittedly a little off this year), Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie, Brad Close. All those guys look capable. The club just needed a refresh and refocus, and it seems as though the exit of assistant coaches and CEO, provided the opportunity to do just that, and to all external appearances they've done it well.

Reply #156

Theyve played finals 10 out of the last 11 years for 3 grand finals.

If they lose on Saturday (they won't they've been a cut above the rest all year) they'll still have out performed the Carlton football clubs record since 1993 in roughly 12 years.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #157
Well instead of gambling on kids who could be 10 year players but most of the time fail they recruit sure things who might only have 3-5 years left but that is better than what Dow, O'Brien, Stocker, Kemp or SPS have given us.

Geelong draft just as many kids and have just as many failures as other clubs.  They drafted five kids in the 2021 draft who have managed two games between them.  Their three 2020 draftees have managed a total of 32 games (our two have played 28).   2019 was better in that their gamble on Sam De Koning really paid off.  Their other two 2019 draftees have played 14 games between them.

They take risks with trade ins like Stengle (pass so far) and Higgins (fail) and bring in solid yet limited performers like Stanley, Henderson and Dalhaus or elite players like Dangerfield, Cameron and Ablett.  I'd rank Tuohy midway between those two groups.

Geelong's real strength lies in getting the most out of later draft picks and rookies like Stewart, Zach Guthrie, Blicavs, Menegola, Duncan, Henry, etc.  With the exception of Ed, Jack and Levi, we haven't had any success with late draft picks or rookies for far too long.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #158

If they lose on Saturday (they won't they've been a cut above the rest all year) they'll still have out performed the Carlton football clubs record since 1993 in roughly 12 years.

Yep, 3 premierships from 5 GFs, this years is their 6th since 2007. Ill take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #159

Depends how old you are. At my age I have seen Carlton play in 13 Grand Finals for 8 wins, much better than Geelong in that time. They have won 3 from 10 since 1963.

Reckon the Swannies pressure will roll them today so be another loss. Haven't gone 7-0 against the top 5 for nothing this year.

Reply #160
Depends how old you are. At my age I have seen Carlton play in 13 Grand Finals for 8 wins, much better than Geelong in that time. They have won 3 from 10 since 1963.

Reckon the Swannies pressure will roll them today so be another loss. Haven't gone 7-0 against the top 5 for nothing this year.

Thought the same thing when I saw 3 Leos post. We are obviously of a similar vintage. In my first 25 years of barracking for the BlueBaggers I saw us win 7 Premierships and lose 4.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #161
Thought the same thing when I saw 3 Leos post. We are obviously of a similar vintage. In my first 25 years of barracking for the BlueBaggers I saw us win 7 Premierships and lose 4.

There’s a huge difference when you measure our success over the last 35 years and the 35 years before that.

I’ve been lucky enough to witness the Mighty Blues in 14 grand finals for 8 cups 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #162
To dot point relevance we are looking at how both teams have performed and their last 10 has been better than our last 30.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #163
I'm 43 but only arrived here in 1988.

Seen 3 grand finals for 1 flag.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #164
There’s a huge difference when you measure our success over the last 35 years and the 35 years before that.

I’ve been lucky enough to witness the Mighty Blues in 14 grand finals for 8 cups 🙂
Same for me 14 GFs for 8 flags although 1962 GF bit of a blur remember the controversial prelim more 😀👍
My old man had the golden run died aged 78 but had 19 GFs for 11 flags!
Be nice to catch him 🙏
No wonder we expect results from “ the team that never lets you down”🤔