Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 41885 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1305
People are up in arms over SEN hosts Timmy and Garry Lyon not calling out comments Johnny from Epping made on SEN on their show about Jewish recruit Sheezel. He made a comment about Jewish people having lots of money and with their backing, perhaps North no longer need the Tassie deal for money. They are calling this anti semitic, is this PC gone stark raving mad or am I out of touch and uneducated on this stuff?

It ties into stereotypes of Jews being greedy, that they are desperate to make money by any means necessary, that they are penny pinching tight ar$e$, that they control the world's financial systems etc. It's an old stenotype, dating back to the middle ages, when Jews sometimes had restrictions on their economic activity and sometimes were forbidden from owning land. At times the only option they had for earning a living was through high interest loans and the like, something Christians were forbidden from doing. There's more to it, but that'll do for now.

I'm guessing that fellow's comment wasn't meant maliciously, but it's a poor comment regardless and I think Jews would find it offensive.

Reply #1306
It ties into stereotypes of Jews being greedy, that they are desperate to make money by any means necessary, that they are penny pinching tight ar$e$, that they control the world's financial systems etc. It's an old stenotype, dating back to the middle ages, when Jews sometimes had restrictions on their economic activity and sometimes were forbidden from owning land. At times the only option they had for earning a living was through high interest loans and the like, something Christians were forbidden from doing. There's more to it, but that'll do for now.

I'm guessing that fellow's comment wasn't meant maliciously, but it's a poor comment regardless and I think Jews would find it offensive.
I know about the background and stereotypes behind the Jewish community, what I dont understand is how a comment about being wealthy can be offensive. Its fact that Jewish people are generally wealthy because they are smart, hard working people. Its fact that the Jewish community stick together and help one another unlike what I have seen and experienced with many other communities which I won't mention specifically. I simply put these two facts I mentioned together and come up with the reason for Johhny's comment. Nothing malicious, nothing racist, merely pointing out that if the Jewish community get behind Sheezel and the Kangas, they could provide some serious input both from a business networking perspective and financially. My first impressions were that of a long bow being drawn. Perhaps nowadays, any mention or association of a community/people and a trait (for the want of a better term) is now stereotypical and hence offensive.
2017 - 16th
2018 - Wooden Spoon
2019 - 16th
2020 - dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021 - Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022 - Real Deal or more of the same?
2023 - "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss

Reply #1307
I know about the background and stereotypes behind the Jewish community, what I dont understand is how a comment about being wealthy can be offensive. Its fact that Jewish people are generally wealthy because they are smart, hard working people. Its fact that the Jewish community stick together and help one another unlike what I have seen and experienced with many other communities which I won't mention specifically. I simply put these two facts I mentioned together and come up with the reason for Johhny's comment. Nothing malicious, nothing racist, merely pointing out that if the Jewish community get behind Sheezel and the Kangas, they could provide some serious input both from a business networking perspective and financially. My first impressions were that of a long bow being drawn. Perhaps nowadays, any mention or association of a community/people and a trait (for the want of a better term) is now stereotypical and hence offensive.

Stereotypes are out unless you are stereotyping WASPS.

Then they are fair game for anyone.

Even if they dont truly belong to that group.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson