Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - 2022b - R6 vs GWS - Sat 1/10 (Read 1300 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW - 2022b - R6 vs GWS - Sat 1/10

Onto next week.

Hope we get some players back.
Hope we don't lose Mua (concussion?) And kez in the meantime.

Doable, but certainly not a gimme

Re: AFLW - 2022b - R6 vs GWS - Sat 1/10

Reply #1
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1230787/ortlepp-to-debut

In: Taylor Ortlepp, Paige Trudgeon, Darcy Vescio
Out: Christina Bernardi, Charlotte Hammans, Imogen Milford

Another week, another debut. Not sure there are many left at this stage.

Stronger up forward, stronger down back.
Strong enough? Should be.

Reply #2
I think that's eight new faces so far this season.

Taylor Ortlepp has a bit of size and her high level basketball experience should mean good ball handling skills.  Let's hope she's a decent kick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
I think that's eight new faces so far this season.

Taylor Ortlepp has a bit of size and her high level basketball experience should mean good ball handling skills.  Let's hope she's a decent kick.
Yes, 8 Carlton debutants. Bernardi, Vellardo, McWilliams all played elsewhere.

I think we only have Jess Jones on our list who has not played an AFL game.

Reply #4
An injury to Goss in the first 10 minutes of the game see hers day done.

It seems the rest of the teams day was done as well.

Disappointing effort all round.

Reply #5
One problem from our game was the poor kicking for goal.

It was suggested during the call that we need to find some more genuine forwards.

Obviously, over the past couple years we've lost Harris, Courtney Jones and Nic Stevens.

The latter would not be doing much for our goal kicking after her latest effort which cost the saints the game.
There is a video of a pagans paddock effort in which she was kicked the ball as the only player inside 50. Runs onto it, into an open goal and proceed to miss from about 4m out from goal.
Ouch

Reply #6
One problem from our game was the poor kicking for goal.

It was suggested during the call that we need to find some more genuine forwards.

Obviously, over the past couple years we've lost Harris, Courtney Jones and Nic Stevens.

The latter would not be doing much for our goal kicking after her latest effort which cost the saints the game.
There is a video of a pagans paddock effort in which she was kicked the ball as the only player inside 50. Runs onto it, into an open goal and proceed to miss from about 4m out from goal.
Ouch

I wonder, with so many teams and so many players for each team, that the talent pool is way too thin for entertaining and competitive games.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Missing two relatively easy shots at goal at the start of the third quarter scuttled any chance of coming back.  Both players are normally reliable kicks.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
Fun fact from this game.

Hitouts:
Moody: 22
Good: 18
GWS: 5

:o

Reply #9
Fun fact from this game.

Hitouts:
Moody: 22
Good: 18
GWS: 5

:o
Sounds like Laloifi had another good game, might be up there in the B&F with Hill and McKay.

Hitout dominance doesn't mean much in the modern game, and even with Hill and McKay being pretty dominant we aren't seeing a result.

I suspect when I get to watch this I'm going to see opposition rebound after rebound coming out off our HFF, either that or our disposal efficiency was poo!

The girls game is on average so low scoring that if you waste too much footy you basically shoot yourself in the foot.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Sounds like Laloifi had another good game, might be up there in the B&F with Hill and McKay.

Hitout dominance doesn't mean much in the modern game, and even with Hill and McKay being pretty dominant we aren't seeing a result.

I suspect when I get to watch this I'm going to see opposition rebound after rebound coming out off our HFF, either that or our disposal efficiency was poo!

The girls game is on average so low scoring that if you waste too much footy you basically shoot yourself in the foot.
Hitout dominance, was very much that. Hill and McKay benefited from it. But they were basically playing extra behind the ball and our midfield cannot kick accurately enough to our forwards, who also cannot get into good enough position to get on the end of them (or hold them).

We miss Prespakis ability to get a handball into space
and
Gees ability to take it and run with it.........this could be helped if Brooke Walker was available, but not sure when that will be (if at all) i thought it was about R6-7 that she'd be back...

Reply #11

We dominated the clearances too!  Where we fell down was inside 50s; too few, too shallow, not enough repeats, too few targets presenting, too few targets hit, and inefficient use of the pill when we got it inside 50.