Skip to main content
Topic: Weiters scammed  (Read 3952 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Weiters scammed

Reply #15
Good grief, you’re only as smart as your last distracted click…
No one’s organising a gofundme, ease up.
So much of the kids live and die by what happens online now, far more get scammed than they realise, and anyone who knows a smidgen about cyber crime knows nobody is safe.

The big problem globally is that Russia and North Korea basically fund state activities using cyber crime. North Korea have pulled off massive heists cleaning out bullion and cash from even the reserve banks of countries, all protected by people who think it couldn't happen to them!

There was a great documentary made about this a couple of years back, it is called the Lazarus Heist, have a listen!  To cover their tracks, the Russians basically make all the same tools freely available on the Dark Web, the more people that use them the greater the smokescreen for their own activities.

The only thing that keeps you safe, is not attracting the crooks attention.

Jacob Weitering was both very studious and very academic at school, a good student who actually prioritised his studies over football. He scored highly in ATAR, he's not one to be gullible or careless. The people that scammed Weiters didn't do it with a simple click of a mouse, they apparently set him up over months of messages and correspondance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I get it, fans want to molly coddle, but these scams have been flying around for a while and I expect better from one of the smartest players in our team.
I know quite a few very smart/ intelligent people that don't have a practical bone in their body.   Everyone will be scammed at one point.  Luckily for me, it has only been 2.5K for an organisation that I work for so far.

Reply #17
It was reported that the scammers appeared extremely legit after receiving a series of text s and phone calls,  he transferred all his life savings into what they called a safeguard account over a period of a week. He transferred his daily limit every day until his accounts were empty.
Poor bugger, didn't tell anyone at first.

DO NOT TAKE CALLS OR TEXTS FROM ANYONE YOU DONT KNOW AND BY THAT I MEAN ONLY FRIENDS?CONTACTS.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
It was reported that the scammers appeared extremely legit after receiving a series of text s and phone calls,  he transferred all his life savings into what they called a safeguard account over a period of a week. He transferred his daily limit every day until his accounts were empty.

DO NOT TAKE CALLS OR TEXTS FROM ANYONE YOU DONT KNOW AND BY THAT I MEAN ONLY FRIENDS?CONTACTS.
It's a common smishing scam where you are told your account has been hacked and the bank want to put your money in a holding account while they create a new one for you. It's not new and that's why I am surprised an intelligent bloke like Weitering got caught in the scam..

Reply #19
Hubris has a tendency to bite the hand that feeds it.

Scams are becoming pretty sophisticated, I wouldn't dare think I won't be the next one scammed and I hope you don't suffer such a fate.

I read in a tech journal the other day about the new uses of AI that crooks are implementing. In the USA with AI now picking up speed, if you have enough cash to buy a HPC you setup a private system, from just a very very small audio sample the crooks can copy a loved ones voice, and then conduct a real-time phone call conversation with the target victim using another persons voice. The scam is they ring a loved ones close relative to collect an audio sample, the AI can then from the sample it gathers convert spoken words into the sampled voice in real time. It is like the "Mum I lost my phone" scam amplified 1000x to the point you are going to have to distrust a loved one ringing for help.

It's not hubris. It's a cynical world view.  No one called me and offered me anything that didn't have something in it for them.  If I don't initiate contact everything is a scam, and there are some basics that people can follow to protect themselves in these situations such as trust but verify.

Thats not to say I won't ever get scammed.

You know it's interesting, here I am seeing how Jacob screwed himself over yet for some reason people are saying oh it could happen to anyone which is precisely why I'm dissapointed.   Everyone thinks not me, but the reality is you are all next and simply believing that there is a bridge in Nigeria for sale is one of the problems. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20

I read recently that the young and aged are the best/most vulnerable targets as one is familiar (grew up with this advanced technology) with this 'new' tech and more likely to trust, and the aged are at the other end of this... naive and hence trusting.

Personally, with every single unknown or unfamiliar communication, either on my phone or email, I start with significant suspicion and delete it or block the number. And if I have any real concern, I call the bank, private health insurer... whoever, directly and inquire.

Then there is another area of concern. About 12 months ago I noticed a suspicious debit on our cc of $99. We immediately reported it to the bank as unfamiliar and a potential fraud. Within 3 days the bank notified us that it was indeed a fraud and a week later we got our loot back. Turns out that someone who'd taken a legitimate phone order from us kept our cc details and commenced a spending spree with our cc details, and others. I guess the employer of this person also got in strife for not protecting cc info correctly/sufficiently.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
That's not the first experience with this and skimmers are effing pond scum.  If such a betrayal of trust occurs the system collapses. They need to be dealt with very, very harshly.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
About a month ago I had one calling me every name under the sun after I kept him on the phone for 40 minutes before telling him the screen says "Your parents should have had an abortion."

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
My problem is that I’m so attractive that I keep on getting email notifications that random women are messaging me on Google Chat (even though I haven’t uploaded any pics and don’t use that service).

Reply #24
You know it's interesting, here I am seeing how Jacob screwed himself over yet for some reason people are saying oh it could happen to anyone which is precisely why I'm dissapointed.  Everyone thinks not me, but the reality is you are all next and simply believing that there is a bridge in Nigeria for sale is one of the problems.
Weiters was fundamentally a victim of a confidence scam, in the physical world this would be the art of grifters.

The fact it's done with the assistance of some code or IT hardware doesn't really change it, and being IT savvy or educated doesn't really make anyone much safer. The problem with confidence scams is that they are frameworks that fit a circumstance, if you fit the circumstance you are potentially a victim, it may just be luck of the draw one way or the other.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
In this online era most peoples fortune and wellbeing hangs by a thread of copper or gold, micron scale wires that connect everything from the networks we use the devices we store our data on. Our familiarity forms over confidence, we are just so use to the gadgets working time after time after time.

But if that tiny little metallic thread was the only thing preserving your physical life would you trust it like a harness or a safety line?

Yet you do daily, perhaps the vehicle you travel in steers, brakes or accelerates by wire. There is the cloud storage that keeps your precious family photos safely archived, and your financial data secure, all run by a tiny thread like wire of gold or copper.

Don't trust it, for the very same reason those of us dealing with IT regularly tell you to backup, backup, backup, never put all your eggs in one basket, that basket may be hanging by a thread!

When I was working for / with a major local R&D Institute, they got hacked by China. They eventually found the cause, a tiny tiny little electronic device, smaller than the full stop at the end of this sentence. Inserted in a serial communications wire and set to rebroadcast data to the it's masters. This little silicon chip turned up everywhere, in phones, routers, APs, you name it, if it had a chance of transmitting or receiving it was probably there. Not all data, that would be too obtrusive, just some important stuff like the odd password or username. In the end I think the saga got a China based telecoms company banned.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
Weiters was fundamentally a victim of a confidence scam, in the physical world this would be the art of grifters.

The fact it's done with the assistance of some code or IT hardware doesn't really change it, and being IT savvy or educated doesn't really make anyone much safer. The problem with confidence scams is that they are frameworks that fit a circumstance, if you fit the circumstance you are potentially a victim, it may just be luck of the draw one way or the other.

Tend to disagree, IT folk are less likely to get scammed because during the course of their job they run into trojans, virus issues, phishing emails as they sort out client problems and deal with this stuff everyday and are usually up to date with the latest scams and remote controlling software so they in turn have the right virus software and are more vigilant with their own personal equipment. A lot of it is common sense, you just dont click links or respond to stuff you are not sure about....check your bank accounts on another device, know how much you have in each account.
Weitering isnt your average IQ footballer as you say, he was a smart cookie at school and would be feeling highly embarrassed and I give him a lot of credit for making his problems public and trying to help other folk.
Lucky for him he has the means to earn that money back fairly quickly and can still look forward to a bright financial future...

Reply #28

weiters was fundamentally naive.

This is a him issue.  The world has been exploited and manipulatd by whatever you want to call them since the dawn of time and the digital platform gives them more means to contact you but even more ways for you to protect yourself.  I.e.  had he just looked at the app of his financial institution the account he was transferring into wouldn't be listed in his accounts, then hang up, and contact the bank directly and fact check any claims.  Was his account frozen?  Nope he could transfer money. 

I referenced the Nigeria airport scam for a reason.  It happened a long time ago and all it took was a salesman contacting a banker in Brazil.

Thats all this is.  He fell for a social engineering scam and wilfully involved himself.  These people can't get you if you don't do it.  Ergo you have the ability to stop it which is why I have an apparent lack of sympathy for Jacob and his plight.  Speak to people about whats happening.  Don't do this stuff over the phone and verify you are speaking to someone from that bank and I don't mean calling the number they give you!!!

Not sure why people are saying I'm on the wrong track here.  This is 99% jacobs fault for being exploited.  Call it victim shaming if you like but without his involvement this doesn't happen.  Only person I know these days who is surprised by the volume of spam they receive is my mother. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
Tend to disagree, IT folk are less likely to get scammed because during the course of their job they run into trojans, virus issues, phishing emails as they sort out client problems and deal with this stuff everyday and are usually up to date with the latest scams and remote controlling software so they in turn have the right virus software and are more vigilant with their own personal equipment. A lot of it is common sense, you just dont click links or respond to stuff you are not sure about....check your bank accounts on another device, know how much you have in each account.

Weitering isnt your average IQ footballer as you say, he was a smart cookie at school and would be feeling highly embarrassed and I give him a lot of credit for making his problems public and trying to help other folk.

Lucky for him he has the means to earn that money back fairly quickly and can still look forward to a bright financial future...
Yep, experience is everything, most people who get done over like this it's on their very first exposure to this stuff.

It's too easy to say the victims should know better, not just for this type of crime but for any crime.

As for Weitering, it looks to me like we have the right type of people in the leadership group. Most would hide away in the corner cupboard not wanting to be embarrassed or to lose face. Instead he has stepped forward with a message to stop this happening to other people. Can you imagine all the self-righteous numpties he has been exposed to since going public with this?

More guts in his actions than most people and by some margin!
The Force Awakens!