Skip to main content
Topic: Sam Kerr (Read 1592 times) previous topic - next topic

Sam Kerr

Sam Kerr has been charged with the racially aggravated harassment of a police officer and will go to trial in February 2025.  What’s that about “justice delayed is justice denied”?

Of course, Sam is innocent until proven guilty and we shouldn’t anticipate the outcome of the trial.  However, I suspect that we won’t see any more FIFA puff pieces about Sam’s ethnicity:

“[Sam’s] journey speaks volumes about the evolving landscape of football and the power of athletes to transcend borders, languages, and cultures. As she continues to excel on the pitch, she also strives to be a beacon of hope for young Indian girls who dare to dream beyond conventions.”
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Sam Kerr

Reply #1
Of course, Sam is innocent until proven guilty and we shouldn’t anticipate the outcome of the trial.  However, I suspect that we won’t see any more FIFA puff pieces about Sam’s ethnicity:

“[Sam’s] journey speaks volumes about the evolving landscape of football and the power of athletes to transcend borders, languages, and cultures. As she continues to excel on the pitch, she also strives to be a beacon of hope for young Indian girls who dare to dream beyond conventions.”
Indian, but didn't her brother make one of the Indigenous All Stars lists?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
She identifies as indigenous and belongs to the indigenous community from where she comes from in WA (wrong)
Her dad is of anglo-indian background.(right)
Her mum has a filipino heritage.(right)

We should probably wait a bit to see what the allegations exactly are, and the ethnicity of the officer.

Reply #3
She identifies as indigenous.
Her dad is of anglo-indian background.
Her mum has a filipino heritage.
Sorry but what?

She isnt indigenous at all if there is anglo indian, and filipino heritage, without an Indigenous Australian heritage in there.  What a crock.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I really don't care but it shocks me that the definition is so plastic, given the current social trends we should not be shocked, if gender definitions means so little race probably means even less.

You can understand how some profit so heavily from this debate, it's a gift of ambiguity not even politicians can match!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I think you'll find "Sam Kerr's ethnicity" is amongst this mornings "most googled". :D

Reply #6
A lawyer should recommend to Sam to identify as a xcat so they can claim animal cruelty by the constabulary.

btw., xcat is not mispelling, it is part of the new group of pronouns like xhim, xhey, xher, etc., etc.. Soon the pronoun volume will be thicker than the Oxford Dictionary!

I read a joke, at least I hope it's a joke, that they have programmed AI to dynamically invent a new identify the minute any other person claims the same, the routine is labelled "xunique!"
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Indian, but didn't her brother make one of the Indigenous All Stars lists?

Not an official team LP.  Bonehead Sheedy was proposing a bye round match between an Indigenous all-star team and "the rest" and he named Daniel Kerr as one of the Indigenous all-stars.  Sheedy apologised when it was pointed out that Kerr had Indian heritage and Kerr laughed it off.

The Kerr family has always acknowledged and been proud of their Indian heritage.  I'm not sure where Sam identifying as Indigenous is coming from, perhaps because the Matildas once posed with the Aboriginal flag.  At the time. Kerr said, "We let the Indigenous girls [Kyah Simon and Lydia Williams] drive it."

There are quite a few bogus websites claiming that Kerr is Indigenous.  For example, "Sam was born in the west coastal areas of Australia, where the majority of people are aboriginal. Sam Kerr belongs to Aboriginal Ethnicity so she is Indigenous."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
There are quite a few bogus websites claiming that Kerr is Indigenous.  For example, "Sam was born in the west coastal areas of Australia, where the majority of people are aboriginal. Sam Kerr belongs to Aboriginal Ethnicity so she is Indigenous."

It was really hard to get a definitive answer to any aboriginal heritage...that's probably a good reason to be a bit sceptical.
I suspect there may be efforts by folks on some websites to 'claim her'.
That really vague statement about....'she lives in an area that has a large indigenous community, so she's indigenous." appears on quite a few websites.

Reply #9
It was really hard to get a definitive answer to any aboriginal heritage...that's probably a good reason to be a bit sceptical.
I suspect there may be efforts by folks on some websites to 'claim her'.
That really vague statement about....'she lives in an area that has a large indigenous community, so she's indigenous." appears on quite a few websites.

Statements from Sam (and Daniel) are unequivocal; she’s not Indigenous but her grandmother is Indian.

The websites claiming that she is Indigenous seem to be not Australian, have limited knowledge of Australia and Indigenous Australians, and use strange logic and even stranger language.

Reply #10
We're at the stage now that you can identify as whatever you want.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #11
She identifies as indigenous and belongs to the indigenous community from where she comes from in WA (wrong)
Her dad is of anglo-indian background.(right)
Her mum has a filipino heritage.(right)

We should probably wait a bit to see what the allegations exactly are, and the ethnicity of the officer.

You learn something every day, I thought I read many years ago that Daniel (hence Sam) was of Sri Lankan heritage.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
My comment that “justice delayed is justice denied” is amplified by the fact that the incident took place in January 2023.

And it seems that Sam Kerr didn’t inform her club or Football Australia about the incident.

According to a soccer journalist who was on the wireless this morning, the HUN is calling for Sam to be sacked as Matildas’ captain.  A predictable, sensationalist response from a grubby newspaper.

Reply #13
My comment that “justice delayed is justice denied” is amplified by the fact that the incident took place in January 2023.

And it seems that Sam Kerr didn’t inform her club or Football Australia about the incident.

According to a soccer journalist who was on the wireless this morning, the HUN is calling for Sam to be sacked as Matildas’ captain.  A predictable, sensationalist response from a grubby newspaper.

If the above accusations were correct, would you want her as captain of your team ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #14
If the above accusations were correct, would you want her as captain of your team ?

Innocent unless proven guilty.

It seems that Sam's lawyers are doing what they can to have the charge dismissed. 

She appeared in court via a video link and I believe that only one reporter made the link between the charge and Sam Kerr.  That put paid to the "keep shtum until it goes away" approach, but it nearly worked.

Her future as Matildas' captain would depend on whether she's found guilty and what was actually said.  Of course, a recent official investigation found that "The Metropolitan police is broken and rotten, suffering collapsing public trust and is guilty of institutional racism, misogyny and homophobia."  That's got to tilt the scales of justice Sam's way.