Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond (Read 3593 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
Still unsure why we picked up Fantasia.  Been a passenger two weeks running, adds nothing, last chance next week.

He went off injured didn’t he?

Let's hope little Durdin and Motlop are ready to take their chances
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #16
Only side to be 2-0 after Round 1.

We may yet be the only side to win 2 games by less than a kick after R1 😆
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Still unsure why we picked up Fantasia.  Been a passenger two weeks running, adds nothing, last chance next week.

No.40 on the list. Worth a punt. Get better as the season goes on. He might miss for the other Holland's next game though. Having a few runs in the 2nds will help Orazio get his touch back after the long lay-off.

Reply #18
He went off injured didn’t he?

Let's hope little Durdin and Motlop are ready to take their chances
The other Holland's will play next game.

Reply #19
Seemed to get dragged down to Richmond's level playing a messy scrappy game style that was error filled and we lacked cohesion even though we had control of play for most of the game.
Happy to take the win and add another 4 points like I said in the preview thread, didnt think we had that many great players and  probably got lucky the Tigers racked up some injuries and ran out of fresh legs and man power.
McGovern played one of his better games , Newman was reliable and credit to Voss for moving Charlie down back in those last critical minutes and he helped us hang on. Lewis Young looked vulnerable and Richmond probably wished they had two Baltas so they could play one at each end.
Rucks I thought were even and TDK did ok vs a rusty Nankervis who was also competitive......Harry was handy again in his new role and I thought Cripps was a good player in close and was my BOG.
The small forwards were non events for both teams although Owies kicked a couple of goals and did his job from limited opportunities....Fantasia was 44% DE until he went off and he doesnt do enough or use the ball well enough at this stage to warrant a game IMO.

Reply #20
Seemed to get dragged down to Richmond's level playing a messy scrappy game style that was error filled and we lacked cohesion even though we had control of play for most of the game.

My thoughts exactly, we never got out of that scrappy pattern and it made it very frustrating to watch.

I've never been a McGovern fan but tonight he was one of our better players for the whole match. In the last, some of our better players like Hewitt & Cerra had a lot more influence on the game which turned it around.

Lewis Young worries me, the Tigers players broke through too many of his soft tackles.

I keep hearing Boyd is elite by foot but he was woeful, I don't understand what they see in him. The recruiting of Fantasia looks idiotic and Cuningham only seems to play well when we are really on top of the opposition.

Curnow needs a massive kick up the jaxy for that undisciplined brain-fade in the goal square. FFS, take the mark, go back and take some time off the clock and kick the simplest of goals. Had he done that, it would have given us a three-goal lead which was virtually unassailable. You can have all the big highlights you want but it's the 'bread & butter' stuff in the heat of battle that sets the really good players apart form the rest.    

Kemp was terrific all night but that 'Mark of the Year' attempt on the last line of defense was also a massive brain-fade, it looks great when it comes off (Saad last week also tried it and came unstuck) but its too costly when it doesn't. Just do the team-orientated thing and give a defensive punch and follow it up on the ground.

DeKoning kicked a really important goal in the last but given he sprayed his first set shot left and then his second right, the odds were in his favour of splitting the middle with the third.

I was really hoping someone would clean-up Bolton, he is a massive show-pony/lair week after week who needs to be taught some humility & respect.

And our guys didn't pay attention to Maurice Rioli who always hangs around the man on the mark looking for a quick steal. It's smart play by him but you can't keep letting him do it.

The umpires really reamed us in the first half, it was embarrassingly poor from them, we should be making an official comlain it was that bad. 

Two wins and a week's break to then face North & Freo after that isn't a bad place to be, just need to tidy up some of those really bad loose ends.     
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #21
My thoughts exactly, we never got out of that scrappy pattern and it made it very frustrating to watch.

I've never been a McGovern fan but tonight he was one of our better players for the whole match. In the last, some of our better players like Hewitt & Cerra had a lot more influence on the game which turned it around.

Lewis Young worries me, the Tigers players broke through too many of his soft tackles.

I keep hearing Boyd is elite by foot but he was woeful, I don't understand what they see in him. The recruiting of Fantasia looks idiotic and Cuningham only seems to play well when we are really on top of the opposition.

Curnow needs a massive kick up the jaxy for that undisciplined brain-fade in the goal square. FFS, take the mark, go back and take some time off the clock and kick the simplest of goals. Had he done that, it would have given us a three-goal lead which was virtually unassailable. You can have all the big highlights you want but it's the 'bread & butter' stuff in the heat of battle that sets the really good players apart form the rest.    

Kemp was terrific all night but that 'Mark of the Year' attempt on the last line of defense was also a massive brain-fade, it looks great when it comes off (Saad last week also tried it and came unstuck) but its too costly when it doesn't. Just do the team-orientated thing and give a defensive punch and follow it up on the ground.

DeKoning kicked a really important goal in the last but given he sprayed his first set shot left and then his second right, the odds were in his favour of splitting the middle with the third.

I was really hoping someone would clean-up Bolton, he is a massive show-pony/lair week after week who needs to be taught some humility & respect.

And our guys didn't pay attention to Maurice Rioli who always hangs around the man on the mark looking for a quick steal. It's smart play by him but you can't keep letting him do it.

The umpires really reamed us in the first half, it was embarrassingly poor from them, we should be making an official comlain it was that bad. 

Two wins and a week's break to then face North & Freo after that isn't a bad place to be, just need to tidy up some of those really bad loose ends.     
umpires had at least 4 score involvements to Richmond. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Might need to invest in a defib - CARNA BLUE BAGGERS!

Reply #23
Take the 4 points and a week off to hopefully get it back on track. To their credit, Richmond were fantastic....but we blew numerous chances to put them away when we had control after 1/4 time.

Fingers crossed that Weitering, Motlop and Martin are right to go against North.

We looked very shaky down back at times. It's heart in the mouth stuff whenever Young is near it or is trying a short pass in the back half. Kemp was good but a couple of brain fades directly cost us goals.

TDK's second half was huge, especially his stuff around the ground. And another really good game from Harry...again, his stuff around the ground was very good.

Reply #24
I'm worried about our percentage :D

Reply #25
No.40 on the list. Worth a punt. Get better as the season goes on. He might miss for the other Holland's next game though. Having a few runs in the 2nds will help Orazio get his touch back after the long lay-off.
He looked like he needed a few runs in the two's, as he was pretty ordinary this week. His kicking for goal was a strength, but it isn't at the moment.
Ollie Hollands looks more than a little off the pace as well. He did a lot more nice things than Fantasia did, but is still well down on his output from last year. He is just a kid and will get better.
Elijah Hollands is a likely starter against North.
Jack Carroll did some very nice things this week with 3 clearances, but he was caught out a couple of time with no right foot. That is something he needs to work on.
Adam Cerra had an ordinary one this week: he picked up after half time, but did nothing early.
Matty Cottrell was also down this week, although what he did was pretty good. If only Fantasia could have that sort of impact.
Charlie should have had 5 goals, but ended with 2. That mark in the square was brilliant; the play on and get a rushed behind was almost comical. His defensive work late was good and he generally had the better of his duel, but he has brain fades that need work to fix.
The way we mucked up goals was irritating. Jordan Boyd shouldn't have missed from that distance and he wasn't alone. Fat too much effort to get a goal.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #26
Where to begin on this one. Was at the game and there seemed to be a flukey breeze which seemed to also change direction throughout the night so that could explain the many missed attempts at goal?
I thought we were the better team all night but just couldn't put them away. Mainly because of what we did or didn't do, but to Richmond's credit they never chucked it in. Got some significant help from the umpires but to get within a kick with 3 players down would have been encouraging for them. Havin said that it's happened to us plenty of times in the past so stuff em.
Ugly win but I'll take that ahead of an honourable loss. Let's recharge now and get ready for another "should win" game

Reply #27
Nice to win....but I thought we were well off the pace.

We've shown glimpses of that hard contesting play in the two games played so far but it's not been as consistent as it was at the end of last season.
There seems to be a bit of a 'disconnect' as well and that may be down to the structural injuries.
Too much was left to too few last night and a number of players had little impact.
When your mid-level talent is struggling it exposes your bottom-end talent.

The forward line was a dog's breakfast.
Dropping the ball in high when you have good tall forwards like Curnow and McKay may seem like a good idea.
If they don't mark it they will bring it to ground where our small forwards can go to work.
Problem is we didn't have any small forwards on last night's shift.
Probably a little unfair on Owies who is always good for a goal or two, but he goes unsighted for a lot of the game.

Lots to work on in the coming break and hopefully a freshened up group (with a few less injuries) ready to go after the bye.

Reply #28
Once up a time it was us who were labelled 'brave' in defeat. How many times did we see headlines, after losing a close one, 'Brave Blues.'

Only very good sides play below their best, even well below, and still find a way to win. 'Above the shoulders'... we are coming along nicely.

2 zip after the first two games, if most of us are honest with ourselves, we probably figured on 1-1.

Individually, we had our fair share of blokes down, well down - Fantasia, Hollands, Cuningham. A large number of 'did their job' ...just. But then there were the blokes who really carried us and had exceptional moments - TDK, Saad, McKay, Kemp, Charles, Acres, Newman, Williams (that run down tackle late in the game to earn a free was just brilliant). Then, at the pinnacle, was Cripps and McGovern.

...and some pretty handy blokes to return in the coming weeks...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
I'm worried about our percentage :D

All good. We go 23-0 this year with a percentage of 103%...haha.

Pies have nothing on us. I had the Pies as the worst flag winners since the Pies in 1990, relying on the ability to winning close games rather than being a great side. I'll be very happy to go down the same path...haha.