Skip to main content
Topic: General Discussions (Read 111485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: General Discussions

Reply #1365
Why do you always resort to the compensation line?
For the same reason that opponents of same sex marriage warned that the next step would be allowing people to marry children, animals, & inanimate objects and of course more than 2 people would marry in every possible number and combination. Even small changes will inevitably end up with the world going to hell in a hand basket. In fact, the only way to stop that decline is to turn the clock back to the 18th Century.

Reply #1366
Can we have an additional public holiday?

If so im onboard.  One for invasion day commemoration, and another for the Australia Day celebration of the Australian Open victory?

Will fit right in to the long weekend nicely IMHO.

Anything for another public holiday Thry?  :D

I was actually suggesting holding Australia Day on 1 Jan so we would lose a public holiday.  However, if it is to be genuine celebration of our nation, warts and all, the day should be free of other connections; May 8 springs to mind  ;)

I guess we could keep 26 Jan as a public holiday but make the focus on Indigenous Australia.  As others have pointed out, there's a fair bit of that already but it could be more positive.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1367
I was actually suggesting holding Australia Day on 1 Jan so we would lose a public holiday.  However, if it is to be genuine celebration of our nation, warts and all, the day should be free of other connections; May 8 springs to mind  ;)

May 8th works for me.
It's "World Donkey Day" and also "No Socks day"

We could go around in thongs and act like Donkeys....wait, we do that already on January 26th :D

Reply #1368
Anything for another public holiday Thry?  :D

I guess we could keep 26 Jan as a public holiday but make the focus on Indigenous Australia.  As others have pointed out, there's a fair bit of that already but it could be more positive.

Not anything but like lods states in Melbourne jan 26 works really well and bookended  the weekend makes for an extra day camping and fishing.

Im against Australia day being moved in general but recognise that things are going to change eventually regardless of what we think.  We may as well adopt the aboriginal flag, call ourselves the Kulin nation and be done with it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #1369
Not anything but like lods states in Melbourne jan 26 works really well and bookended  the weekend makes for an extra day camping and fishing.

Im against Australia day being moved in general but recognise that things are going to change eventually regardless of what we think.  We may as well adopt the aboriginal flag, call ourselves the Kulin nation and be done with it.

Kulin Nation is a group of five language groups from south-central Victoria.  And that’s why there’s no chance of Australia adopting an Indigenous name; the concept of one name for the continent is a European construct, beginning with Terra Australis before any Europeans had actually seen what they thought must be there.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1371
Just watching the remastered Pink Floyd concert, Earl's Court 1994, if you have never seen it do yourself a favour, probably deserves it's own thread.

Just too good.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1372
The term "duplicitous" springs to mind.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1373
Just watching the remastered Pink Floyd concert, Earl's Court 1994, if you have never seen it do yourself a favour, probably deserves it's own thread.

Just too good.

Topics often get swamped in this thread by other topics.
I've bumped up the 'Music' thread.
We may get a more sustained discussion in that thread without politics and social issues to distract.
(Although a lot of music is actually about social issues so there may be some crossover) ;D

Reply #1374
Hows this for sheer stupidity, bare with me for a moment.

Bell Street Level crossing removed at a cost of 100's of millions of dollars I would guess. This from the big build website:

The level crossings at Oakover Road, Bell Street, Cramer Street and Murray Road in Preston have been removed by elevating the Mernda Line over the 4 roads, and the new stations at Bell and Preston are now open.

We are working on the new open space underneath the rail bridge. A shared walking and cycling path from Oakover Road through to Murray Road will connect locals to the new stations and open spaces which will feature seating, play areas, BBQ facilities, amphitheatre, and native planting and will be ready for locals to enjoy in early 2023.

Around 82,000 vehicles passed through these former level crossings each day, where the boom gates were down for up to 40% of the morning peak

Note the bold bit. These farkwits have spent 100s of millions of dollars to remove a level crossing and replaced it with a pedestrian crossing? Are they farken mad? That will be fun in the morning and afternoon peak hours as people/cyclists press the button to cross Bell St...not.

There are pedestrian lights at High St 225m to the East and at St Geroges Road 225m to the West. There is also a major bike path on St Georges Road. But nah, lets put another shared path in and continue farking with drivers minds.

U N B E L I E V A B L E !

2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1375
I see some person mocked Jesus on The Project which has caused some anger among the Christian community. I wonder if said person has the balls to mock an Islamic God on that high rating (lol) show. I suspect he'd be busy looking for safehouse the following
 day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #1376
But if he made racist jokes or put down other minorities, he’d be a hero to right wingers who would be outraged at cancel culture. Don’t tell me the defenders of the right to free speech are going to go all politically (religiously) correct and try to cancel a guy for telling a joke?

Reply #1377
I read the joke. At worst, insensitive, at best, clever (IMHO). I think Jesus would have had a chuckle.

Anyone outraged by that joke should avoid any stand-up from Jimmy Carr!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1378
I read the joke. At worst, insensitive, at best, clever (IMHO). I think Jesus would have had a chuckle.

Anyone outraged by that joke should avoid any stand-up from Jimmy Carr!
Saw Jimmy Carr at Hamer Hall a couple of weeks ago - he is certainly on the edge at times!

Although I thought one of the best lines came from his SMS send-ins.....

"Don't bother getting a rescue cat - I got one for my Gran, but when she fell over in the garden the following day, the cat just sat there and did f*** all"
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #1379
With any 'belief' or 'cause' there will always be a range of emotions connected to those things depending on how strongly and passionately folks believe in them.

In the case of religion some will have a chuckle at a joke directed at their religion, others will be incensed and outraged.
It all depends on the strength of feeling and that's a very personal thing.

So for the 'comedian' there is always going to be a case of 'did they go to far'.
But comedy has always been about 'pushing the edge'

The really funny thing is that some things that 'pushed the edge' thirty or forty years ago and would possibly have got you arrested, would seem tame by today's standards... and yet other subjects are now considered off limits.