Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Fixture 2023 (Read 1134 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Fixture 2023

Seems we've been rewarded very well after our efforts last year.

14 rounds have been released so far (we have the bye in R15).

Points of interest.
1. Thursday night opener against Tigers in R1
2. Exclusive Good Friday game vs Kangas in R4.
3. Thursday night opener of 'Gather Round' vs Adelaide in R5
4. Queens/kings birthday eve primetime slot Sunday night vs Essendon in R13

From the first 14 rounds we have...
10 Night/primetime games.
3 - Thursday Night games
4* - Friday Night games (inc. 4:20 twilight game on Good Friday)
2* - Saturday Night games (inc. 1 5:20AWT late game in Perth)
1 - Sunday Night games (Queens/Kings birthday eve)

The other 4 games are...
- Giants (away) Sat 4:35.
- Saints (home - Marvel) Sun 3:20
- Suns (home - MCG) Sun 1:10
and suprisingly
- Pies (Home - MCG) Sun 3:20

We play the following sides twice....
Suns
Giants
Saints
Demons
Eagles
Pies

Re: AFL Fixture 2023

Reply #1
Slightly tricky first 4 games - win 2 of those, and we are off and running....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #2
Any team.
Any time.
Any where.

Thats how flags are won. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
Thursday night are really difficult for me. I tutor on Thursday evenings until 1910. Then I have school the next day. Does not suit me at all.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Slightly tricky first 4 games - win 2 of those, and we are off and running....
Win 2? We must win all 4 and get the season off and running, nuffs enuff. Anyone, anytime, anywhere.
Jon Ralph has us 5-1 and on top of the ladder after 6 rounds.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
It’s a good fixture for us both in terms of providing a competitive advantage and recognising Bluebagger passion.

It’s not a great fixture for me in that I can generally only get to afternoon games.  I may have to explore options for spending the night in Melbourne …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
It’s a good fixture for us both in terms of providing a competitive advantage and recognising Bluebagger passion.

It’s not a great fixture for me in that I can generally only get to afternoon games.  I may have to explore options for spending the night in Melbourne …

Yep. Great draw in just about every aspect. Similar to you, David, we're about an hour and half from the city by train... little less by car. Looks like some buddies close to the city will be having some evening house guests from time to time!

Not too many sides finish 9th and end up with a draw the following year like we have, but then not many sides deliver on attendance/viewer numbers like we do... great for the AFL, great for the sponsors, great for us.

Now to deliver.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Not too many sides finish 9th and end up with a draw the following year like we have, but then not many sides deliver on attendance/viewer numbers like we do... great for the AFL, great for the sponsors, great for us.
Yet apparently, if you listened to BT, Jab Snr, Darcy or Derwhine at times last season, nobody wanted to watch or commentate our boring unimportant games! ;)

What are the networks going to do, those commentators are in an untenable position, we are the AFL's Ace in hand and they spew vitriol every time they are forced to call one of our games!

I'm guessing somebody at our club gets a gold star and a lollypop, I wonder who?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Only 2 of last year's top 8 twice is pretty good....especially given we were in the top 8 ourselves for all bar about 30 seconds of the season.

Reply #9
Only 2 of last year's top 8 twice is pretty good....especially given we were in the top 8 ourselves for all bar about 30 seconds of the season.

According to Zerohanger:

“Carlton seem like big winners both on field and off, with the Blues handed plenty of financially beneficial prime time matches. The Blues feature heavily on Thursday and Friday matches and play GWS, St Kilda, West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne and Gold Coast twice.”

Our draw should give us a decent leg up and top four should be within reach.  Taking advantage of the draw by winning the games we shouldn’t lose and holding on in the close games should mean that we go deep in the finals.

If the faithful turn up like they did last season, we’ll have another very profitable year. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #10
According to Zerohanger:

“Carlton seem like big winners both on field and off, with the Blues handed plenty of financially beneficial prime time matches. The Blues feature heavily on Thursday and Friday matches and play GWS, St Kilda, West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne and Gold Coast twice.”

Our draw should give us a decent leg up and top four should be within reach.  Taking advantage of the draw by winning the games we shouldn’t lose and holding on in the close games should mean that we go deep in the finals.

If the faithful turn up like they did last season, we’ll have another very profitable year. 
If the faithful pensioners keep turning up to play the pokies we heavily rely on for revenue that should be the case.
20 mill in pokies revenue which was up around 1.4 million dollars, reckon we need to start reducing that dependence and find some other ways to make a dollar given we have more members and should have other streams of income.
Five clubs have 20 year licences for their pokies including us, another five have sold/exited some or all of their pokies......think Geelong are now Pokies free, maybe that karma came back to reward them?
Lot of mixed messages with gambling in the AFL with Sportsbet sponsorships but Lovethegame support to send the right messages to children, all very confusing but I reckon we could make more effort to ditch the pokies and find some other revenue streams.

Reply #11
If the faithful pensioners keep turning up to play the pokies we heavily rely on for revenue that should be the case.
20 mill in pokies revenue which was up around 1.4 million dollars, reckon we need to start reducing that dependence and find some other ways to make a dollar given we have more members and should have other streams of income.
Five clubs have 20 year licences for their pokies including us, another five have sold/exited some or all of their pokies......think Geelong are now Pokies free, maybe that karma came back to reward them?
Lot of mixed messages with gambling in the AFL with Sportsbet sponsorships but Lovethegame support to send the right messages to children, all very confusing but I reckon we could make more effort to ditch the pokies and find some other revenue streams.

Well said, EB1.

I also hope we explore other revenue streams. Gambling is rapidly becoming a social pariah and is already a mental health leech/poison.

Reply #12
According to Zerohanger:

With this terrific draw also comes enormous expectation... not something we've handled (above the shoulders) very well for some time. Fortunately, the now leaders at PP, from President to CEO to senior coach are rich in a winning mentality... now for that to filter deeply into the minds and hearts of the playing group.

Reply #13
With this terrific draw also comes enormous expectation... not something we've handled (above the shoulders) very well for some time. Fortunately, the now leaders at PP, from President to CEO to senior coach are rich in a winning mentality... now for that to filter deeply into the minds and hearts of the playing group.

Sayers got a little carried away before the start of last season but Vossy and Cook are savvy enough to focus expectations on how we play and let the wins and losses take care of themselves.   However, despite our horrific run of injuries and some match day bad luck, the cat is out of the bag; we have the personnel and game plan to match it with any team in the competition.  Our favourable draw can't help to raise supporters' expectations and there shouldn't be any excuses for not playing finals (that's finals plural). 

I imagine that Vossy will be impressing on the playing group that our draw won't get us into the finals, hard work and sticking to the program will.