Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 8 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 2716 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 8 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #180
For all the vitriol in the fans base directed towards Williams, there were two other complete brain fades that cost us goals during the game.

The first was in the critical moment letting an opponent make an extra number goal side of our defence in our D50, a player that most can't possibly catch given a step or two of head start.

The second was one of our other defenders turning traffic cone earlier in the game, as he became paralysed by the Filth tsunami sweeping around him,.

Both these incidents were moments of inaction that lead to goals free of umpire influence, and far far worse than Williams.
its a footy forum, its not vitriol, its not personal (at least its not meant to be). Its people with opinions pointing out perceived deficiencies or f-ups by players. If you dont like it, start a Kum Ba Yah All Sunshine and Rainbows thread and live in that for the week. For years no one was allowed to point out Plowman's lack of defensive ability because he was a "much loved team mate" (until he wasn't). As Voss said, in a close game its all about the little things, small margins. A few of our blokes would love their time again and I'm sure it will be pointed out to them this week during the review, even Bambi.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #181
The good thing is these events are all easy fixes that have cost us games, as long as there is the will to fix them, and the fixes do not require some 3rd party to see it our way!
Yes and so far, the responses have been good. Not perfect but you can see intent. Once we get key players back from injury, the cream will rise to the top, it always does.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #182
Coaches' votes. Even they thought it was Daicos then daylight.

10 Nick Daicos (COLL)
4 Jack Crisp (COLL)
4 Harry McKay (CARL)
4 Nicholas Newman (CARL)
4 Sam Walsh (CARL)
3 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
1 Darcy Moore (COLL)

Reply #183
Coaches' votes. Even they thought it was Daicos then daylight.

10 Nick Daicos (COLL)
4 Jack Crisp (COLL)
4 Harry McKay (CARL)
4 Nicholas Newman (CARL)
4 Sam Walsh (CARL)
3 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
1 Darcy Moore (COLL)

I was surprised at how many here had Acres in their votes, I thought he made a lot of mistakes.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #184
I was surprised at how many here had Acres in their votes, I thought he made a lot of mistakes.

I can appreciate his inclusion in the votes would be questionable. He did make errors, but he also works his ar$e off. 32 disposals, 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 415 m gained, 89% on ground. I probably overcooked the Jim Park giving him 3 votes, but he deserved votes for the effort and good things he did.

Reply #185

I think that there'd be no-one to vote for if mistakes meant disqualification. 

I gave Acres a vote because I thought that his hard work far outweighed the times he was caught out ... and some of those were the result of teammates not doing their bit.

We play a fairly high risk, high reward game style and it's inevitable that we'll be caught out and punished.  That's OK, provided we can limit how many times it happens. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #186
Acres did certainly make a few glaring errors but he had quite a few mates. Even so we didn't lose by much and with a bit more luck including  umpires' calls we may have just got over the line even so.
Imo we were just a bit light on for critical talent, but the Pies were also missing a couple.  I'm confident we could knock them off   on another day.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #187

Walsh's mistake cost us the game but he was still =2nd BOG.

Reply #188
Interesting reads. I genuinely believed we had the players on the ground to beat Collingwood. Was i too optimistic? What i did see was that we played dumb football and got out coached. Dumb football, always kicking the ball into the forward line with no real purpose. Out coached, Collingwood send two extra at all the ball ups and we had no idea what to do to combat this.

Just my thoughts, bring on those Deeeees

Reply #190
I did write a lot of mistakes.

....and the voting replicated that with Walsh getting more votes than Acres. So the system works.

Point being, everyone makes mistakes. Even 2nd BOG players.

Reply #191
wait, wait, wait … just watched the Sunday Footy Show highlighting how they blocked Cripps at every centre bounce.

I mean, COME ON. If that sort of treatment doesn’t warrant a rule change I don’t know what does.

So the ball is NOT in play, there’s NO actual contest yet, in some instances the location was more than 10 metres away from where the ball was about to be bounced, and the opposing player did NOT have eyes for the ball.

So if you take your eyes off the ball and look at your opponent for a split second in a marking contest it’s a free every single time.

Also an instant free for “blocking” if the player’s path to a marking contest is impeded.

Why is that treated differently?

Of course, nothing new here - has been happening for years, and not just to Cripps.  McCrae is portrayed as the good guy but I think this belies his Sheedy- or Clarkson-like approach to pushing things to the limit. He was even astute enough to make Pendlebury the blocker knowing he’s an ump favourite who has the footballing IQ to disguise the blocks.

Which brings me to Pendelbury’s last centre clearance - did he or did he not head straight for the boundary line?
Great observation from one commentator that doing that is win/win. If the ump pings him for “insufficient intent” it gives them time to set up behind the ball. If the ump is too gutless to make the call it’s a throw in just far enough away from goal.

This craps me to tears most weeks (Steele from the 'aints is another who just turns and faces crippa at every bounce)

Was going to make the Pendles point, until i saw you beat me to it.  They rarely call the hold, but they were definitely not going to ping Pendles.   Ive made this point before, but Mccrae (and as you have pointed out Clarko), come from the same school of - hold him off the ball 100 times and you get pinged twice (or never, as was the case Fri night) - well it is worth it

Needs to be looked at.  Crippa cant even scratch his nose, as he is being held that close, before the ump even thinks about bouncing the ball

Reply #192
Finally some are starting to see what I've been watching for weeks now, and what tipped me over the edge was that Williams got pinged for two ultra-trivial holds, holds which were almost nothing by comparison to those which Cripps or Walsh suffered all game!

If we as fans and a club do not start asking these questions, we are going to keep finding ourselves at a significant disadvantage simply because Cripps, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra are at their very best in contested football situations. And the holding / shepherding stuff affects more of their game style than it does for a fast break type player.
The Force Awakens!