Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: 2019 AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 18494 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: 2019 AFL Rd 19: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #120
............. good at spotting up a loose player......

Plenty of hidden gems in the State leagues if you look hard enough..

That first part is a big part of Teague's success in recent weeks, the question is probably why now, why did it take so long for these blokes to think for themselves? (btw., I don't know about your thoughts on this, but I'm damn certain AFL teams can't significantly change game plans and tactics mid-season, which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!)

The second part is about finding gems which is good if you can pull it off, and I suspect watching the VFL last weekend Cottrell will be another long term bonus. Long term he looks like a Simmo replacement in the Simmo / Hunter mould!

But to keep reality in mind, and reality is in recent weeks the GWS recycled types have shown why they are still playing AFL. Those little failed AFL starts are almost like a filtering mechanism, provided you can cut through the excuses and find the truth about individuals!

SOS needs a pat on the back EB1, we have to give credit where credit is due!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
That first part is a big part of Teague's success in recent weeks, the question is probably why now, why did it take so long for these blokes to think for themselves? (btw., I don't know about your thoughts on this, but I'm damn certain AFL teams can't significantly change game plans and tactics mid-season, which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!)

The second part is about finding gems which is good if you can pull it off, and I suspect watching the VFL last weekend Cottrell will be another long term bonus. Long term he looks like a Simmo replacement in the Simmo / Hunter mould!

But to keep reality in mind, and reality is in recent weeks the GWS recycled types have shown why they are still playing AFL. Those little failed AFL starts are almost like a filtering mechanism, provided you can cut through the excuses and find the truth about individuals!

SOS needs a pat on the back EB1, we have to give credit where credit is due!

To some extent but Gibbons was an after thought pick IMO, my main problem was his poor selection of middle age players like Mullet, Shaw, Oshea and his GWS duds.....not sold on Cottrell but is showing more than he did.
We have a had a short injection of Adrenalin under Teague but I'm more a long term investor and need to see sustained success and how players perform when the Teague honeymoon is over.

Reply #122
7 week honeymoon EB?

More than that....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #123

LP you write stuff like that and expect not to get called on it?

Everyone in the AFL is talking about the changes Teague has made, game plan, tactics and player positions.
The evidence proves it.
The stats are undeniable.

Yet you use the phrase
“which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!”

You say I’m trying to start an argument.

No, I’m just pointing out the incorrect post.

Reply #124
my main problem was his poor selection of middle age players like Mullet, Shaw, Oshea and his GWS duds.....not sold on

Speak to anyone at the club and none of those (and a handful of others) were ever going to create a premiership framework.....we just needed bodies, who weren't kids, to fill a few gaps while we developed our list. If they made it, that's a bonus if the didn't, so be it, we didn't sell the farm.

Reply #125
I have always been a fan - I would absolutely hate to see him running around in another club's jumper. Carlton supporter as a kid, has stuck it out through the bad times. I really hope the club make him a good offer and he stays.

Probably not a popular opinion but I would be trying to sign him and then asses his Market Value. ( I'm not sure of Free agent status )
He is a 29 year old who is probably in career best form. ( Therefore try and Sell High )

Better off losing him and gaining something of value than losing say a TDK because of limited opportunities.

I hope he stays aswell but I also hope the club does due dilligence.

Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #126
He's an unrestricted free agent, if he goes it will be for nothing.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
LP you write stuff like that and expect not to get called on it?

Everyone in the AFL is talking about the changes Teague has made, game plan, tactics and player positions.
The evidence proves it.
The stats are undeniable.

Yet you use the phrase
“which means we are implementing stuff we've worked on probably since the pre-season and doing it better or just exposing it now!”

You say I’m trying to start an argument.

No, I’m just pointing out the incorrect post.

You read a sentence and presume a novel.

You can't assume the way they are playing now is something that they hadn't already trained for, but that assumption is implicit in your statement.

Anyone involved in even basic levels of football will tell you how hard it is to break trained habits mid-season, and it certainly doesn't happen in a week. Further the AFL players train more repetitively than part-timers, meaning they have far more retained memory of preferred behaviors.

What are those undeniable stats, and how do the last few weeks compare to the previous 12? But I'll be kind and warn you in advance that you'll have to be very selective to find any significant difference either overall or player by player. The main difference other than the win/loss is that disposal efficiency has improved going inside F50, all the other stats have barely changed a smidgen!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #128
Training has changed significantly, there's more hands on the footy than mind numbing drills. Its easy to see that its paid off on cleaner ball handling. I notice that the short passes are going lower making it difficult to spoil. We used to be such big turnover merchants now we're not.

Reply #129
Training has changed significantly, there's more hands on the footy than mind numbing drills. Its easy to see that its paid off on cleaner ball handling. I notice that the short passes are going lower making it difficult to spoil. We used to be such big turnover merchants now we're not.

You mean Disposal Efficiency, that's the one stat that has changed! :o

We could attribute that to a deliberate change in training, but it's also correlated to the older guys moving back into their traditional roles displacing some of the less efficient kids.

They may well have changed training emphasis from tactics to skills, but that doesn't mean the tactics weren't already being rehearsed. Thinking it has assumes too much and it would be too much change in too short of a time period to come together like it has, it's even a little naive to think it's possible!

It's dead easy to pick a bit of this stat or a bit of that stat and make it a cause when it may just be a correlation. Like fans discussing the change in SoJ, is his current influence a cause of change or an effect of some other change, we don't get to know because we are outside the inner circle.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #130
You mean Disposal Efficiency, that's the one stat that has changed! :o

We could attribute that to a deliberate change in training, but it's also correlated to the older guys moving back into their traditional roles displacing some of the less efficient kids.

They may well have changed training emphasis from tactics to skills, but that doesn't mean the tactics weren't already being rehearsed. Thinking it has assumes too much and it would be too much change in too short of a time period to come together like it has, it's even a little naive to think it's possible!

It's dead easy to pick a bit of this stat or a bit of that stat and make it a cause when it may just be a correlation. Like fans discussing the change in SoJ, is his current influence a cause of change or an effect of some other change, we don't get to know because we are outside the inner circle.

I'm not a stat man LP, I go by what I see. Yes it can be subjective but stats can also be read in so many different ways.

Reply #131
You read a sentence and presume a novel.

You can't assume the way they are playing now is something that they hadn't already trained for, but that assumption is implicit in your statement.

Anyone involved in even basic levels of football will tell you how hard it is to break trained habits mid-season, and it certainly doesn't happen in a week. Further the AFL players train more repetitively than part-timers, meaning they have far more retained memory of preferred behaviors.

What are those undeniable stats, and how do the last few weeks compare to the previous 12? But I'll be kind and warn you in advance that you'll have to be very selective to find any significant difference either overall or player by player. The main difference other than the win/loss is that disposal efficiency has improved going inside F50, all the other stats have barely changed a smidgen!

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/teague-of-his-own-how-stand-in-coach-has-changed-the-blues-20190726-p52b4c.html

Under Teague, they're fourth in the AFL for scoring from turnovers in their front half of the ground, compared to 14th from rounds 1 to 11. Efficiency inside their forward-50 arc is first in the AFL over those six weeks.
This shift is evident in an increase in scoring of more than three goals a game. The Blues have averaged 87.5 points under Teague, compared with 67.1 in the first half of the season that Bolton coached.

Reply #132
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/teague-of-his-own-how-stand-in-coach-has-changed-the-blues-20190726-p52b4c.html

Under Teague, they're fourth in the AFL for scoring from turnovers in their front half of the ground, compared to 14th from rounds 1 to 11. Efficiency inside their forward-50 arc is first in the AFL over those six weeks.
This shift is evident in an increase in scoring of more than three goals a game. The Blues have averaged 87.5 points under Teague, compared with 67.1 in the first half of the season that Bolton coached.

Yes that is correct and was the main point I made above.

The only significant statistical change is disposal efficiency going inside F50. All the media beat up about massive statistical improvement across the board is bogus, the one key stat that has changed is finding targets inside F50 either on first entries or from turnovers!

Teague deserves a big tick for freeing the players up and for identifying how to fix a significant problem, but I'm can't extend the invention of the game tactics and scoring options to him in just the last 6 weeks. The back line has been steady and playing the way it's played for more than a year now, it hasn't really changed at all in the last few weeks. The argument could be made the biggest change was getting sMurph and Ed back into the midfield, which had the flow on effect of delivering lesser opponents to the likes of Fisher, Walsh and SPS as well as taking some of the team dependency off Cripps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Yes that is correct and was the main point I made above.

The only significant statistical change is disposal efficiency going inside F50. All the media beat up about massive statistical improvement across the board is bogus, the one key stat that has changed is finding targets inside F50 either on first entries or from turnovers!

Teague deserves a big tick for freeing the players up and for identifying how to fix a significant problem, but I'm can't extend the invention of the game tactics and scoring options to him in just the last 6 weeks. The back line has been steady and playing the way it's played for more than a year now, it hasn't really changed at all in the last few weeks. The argument could be made the biggest change was getting sMurph and Ed back into the midfield, which had the flow on effect of delivering lesser opponents to the likes of Fisher, Walsh and SPS as well as taking some of the team dependency off Cripps.

You said disposal efficiency.
The article says turn overs in front half.
That is a change in the way we defend.
It means we are putting pressure on the opposition in our front half rather than letting them waltz through our pathetic zone Bolton had.
This has made us a much tougher team to play against.

Everyone talks about the contrast in game plan and approaches between Bolton and Teague but you won’t concede things have changed.

They must have been training this way since pre season?
This game plan has simply fallen into place since Teague took over?

You can’t be serious

Reply #134
The reason you guys are arguing is because there has been a change in philosophy.

Both have their merits, depending on which way you are alligned and IMHO there is no right answer but just what is going to work today.

Bolton's zone is a defensive/offensive strategy.  It allows the forwards to have more space inside 50 because you welcome the opposition up the ground and empty the scoring zone whilst congesting your defensive area.  It is less about individuals and their ability, and more about a team causing turnovers, and then making use of those turnovers.  Bolton's plan would be more succesful with a team with a poorer set of disciplined individuals.  His game plan's major issue, is that the attack relies on being efficient, and also relies on players being able to hit targets consistently which is something that even the poorest of athletic individuals can do provided they are footballers.  It is less contested, and less combatative which means that its easier to play more consistently.

Teague is an offensive/defensive strategy.  It relies on having more opportunities to score, and means more people are pressing into attack.  It means that we are prone to scoring against from turnovers, and we are seeing teams go end to end on us quite easily (which is likely the most difficult thing to) because the major difficulty there is clearing that defensive zone, which results in more hurried kicks out due to pressure.  I've noticed that in Teague's game plan, we are less reliant on generating scoring from winning first use.  Our contested posessions have gone up (likely because our forward press is resulting in more contests inside forward 50).  We seem to be more reliant on individual ability to play football and be athletic rather than team oriented game plan than we had before. 

Which one is better is going to simply be a matter of what is "in vogue" than anything else.

Bolton was doing something that is more Hawthorn oriented.  Teague was doing something more Adelaide/West Coast oriented.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson