Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 18061 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2020 Rd 2: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #150
Every club goes through those changes and they appear far more settled IMO Lods.  Sorry, doesn't cut it for mine at all. 

Totally agree. Excuse? Probably... Reason? Nuh.

Sorry Principal LODS, you're usually on the money, but when you factor in that we can play dominant qtrs against bona fide opposition you can see cohesion and talent. We have the talent, but there's something missing in the brains/initiative/passion area.

Between the lugholes and a big bodied mid or two shy. And for mine these poor starts may have much to do with whoever addresses the mids before games (Barker? Stanton? - like having nothing, twice). Very indicative to see Teague go straight to the midfield at qtr time v the Dees... and damning for Laurel and Hardy (Barker and Stanton). Forget that we might have too many shy/nice/introverted players... could well be we've got too many shy/nice/introverted assistant coaches... need some more passion and fire in the coaching ranks.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #151
Of course it's above the shoulders, it doesnt mean it should be accepted, nor does it give the players and the coaches an out.  Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance, they were 31 pts down at qtr time v Richmond in rnd 1, they were 32 pts down at  qtr time   v Melb in rnd 2. They had 86 days to prepare and prevent want occured in round one and failed, coaches and players failed to prepare prepare properly. In the presser, the coach said he addressed the midfielders at qtr time and they responded, great. But WTF? Why wait? If it was me, given the track record of poor starts occurring over and over again, I would have been ready and would have walked down to the boundary line after the 3 unanswered goal and spoken to midfielders then. It's a poor performance from the entire coaching box IMO. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity is it not?

Absolutely. Being above the shoulders is no excuse or way out... it should be identified and pounced on straight away.

I fear we haven't done that... choosing to perhaps go gently, which works somewhat with some. I think it often works better to light a metaphoric fire under the clacker of some blokes to get them going. Horses for courses with the individuals you're dealing with but I'm concerned there's been to much soft-peddling for too long and Teague doesn't have the Lieutenants he needs. Amos is a ripper, but gee it falls away rapidly after him.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #152
No club has won more qtrs than us outside of Port (some the equal), yet we are 0-2. Frustrating!

Bring back 20 min qtrs I say...lol.

Reply #153
We have the same problems under Teague that we did under Bolton. BB was apparently the source of these problems, but now that the new guy is officially endorsed and approved by the CSC faithful, the source has magically shifted elsewhere, and Teague rides in on his white horse at 1/4 time to save the day ?

Turn it up.

Reply #154
No club has won more qtrs than us outside of Port (some the equal), yet we are 0-2. Frustrating!
We have the same problems under Teague that we did under Bolton. BB was apparently the source of these problems, but now that the new guy is officially endorsed and approved by the CSC faithful, the source has magically shifted elsewhere, and Teague rides in on his white horse at 1/4 time to save the day ?

Turn it up.
We waved the white flag often completely under Bolton. We at least fight back now. Issues Teague will have over the next season or two is to eradicate the crappy attitude/culture. Never an overnight thing.

Reply #155
@baggers and GIC.....
I 'm not sure that what  you're saying and what I'm saying are necessarily mutually exclusive.

My argument is that we are still to gel as a unit in comparison with other sides due to the turnover of personnel.
Again.... 'No other club has had the changes of personnel ours has had in the last five years'
It's a strategy few clubs have ever attempted.
I suspect it's a model few clubs will ever repeat.

Now part of that understanding that needs to develop is the ability to combine together to apply pressure for longer periods of time.
Passion for club and teammates is another aspect that develops over time.
For a Jack Silvagni that's something he was born with...if you come through another club or two (the passage of a good number of our players) it takes a little longer.

We've had slow starts, but at least there's a belief there that even 6 or 7 goals down they're still not out of the game.

I posted in another thread that the resumption would cause some problems for some clubs. The successful ones were always going  to be the ones who could get their 'combination' back together the quickest.

Reply #156
We waved the white flag often completely under Bolton. We at least fight back now. Issues Teague will have over the next season or two is to eradicate the crappy attitude/culture. Never an overnight thing.

12 months is not overnight, unless you operate in geological time - but of course, as long as we under perform, it will always be down to the slow process of eradicating Bolton's bad culture - what a wonderful thing it must be to have a scapegoat on retainer.

Hey Mr 4 from 43, check it out : after 13 games, both Bolton and Teague sit at 6/13.

Reply #157
If Teague can't sort the starts out fasts I'm afraid he's going to become another Bolton and we'll be looking at another reset. Liddell and Lloyd won't want their mate on the sidelines watching you long if go 5 from 17.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #158
Work rate, work rate, work rate.

Not leg speed, but work rate (aka intensity).

Round 1 tackles from our leaders:

Simmo    0
Murph    0
Crippa    2
Doc        1
Weiters   3
Ed C       3
Newnes  1

Overall, 9 players with ZERO tackles, 14 with one or less.

Round 2 tackles from our leaders:

Simmo    1
Murph    0
Crippa   2
Doc        2
Weiters   0
Ed C       2
Newnes  1

Overall, 5 players with ZERO tackles (Murphy both weeks), 8 with one or less.

41 tackles for the team in Rd. 2, 23 in Round 1. - average 32. Lowest in the league!

We averaged 63 tackles a game in 2019.

St Kilda are averaging 64 tackles a game in 2020. Double.

Work rate, work rate, work rate.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #159
If Teague can't sort the starts out fasts I'm afraid he's going to become another Bolton and we'll be looking at another reset. Liddell and Lloyd won't want their mate on the sidelines watching you long if go 5 from 17.

Teague is no doubt under intense pressure and I have no doubt that he will be gone if we don't see some better results in what's left of this season. I sure get the feeling that he is a left over from a previous era unfortunately and not really in favour with the current regime.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #160
Teague is no doubt under intense pressure and I have no doubt that he will be gone if we don't see some better results in what's left of this season. I sure get the feeling that he is a left over from a previous era unfortunately and not really in favour with the current regime.

Scary with Ross Lyon floating around.
Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #161
If we get rid of Teague after one interrupted season, we will be forever more a non entity.
That's not how you change culture. That's going to ruin our club.

Reply #162
Scary with Ross Lyon floating around.

Yep, Lurking and filling in time in the media, Lyon cant win premierships but he can get teams into finals.
Liddle and crew need finals to justify culling Bolton and if we lose vs Geelong I think thats probably it for 2020 and heads will drop.
Its set up for Lyon IMO...not a case of if but when......

Reply #163
If we get rid of Teague after one interrupted season, we will be forever more a non entity.

I can't see that happening, no matter how bad the season is. Even by Carlton standards, that would be a new low.

I think there's a real chance we could be 0-4 after Geelong and Essendon (no easy beats IMO), but I think we will win more in the latter stages of the season, as long as we can stay relatively injury free.

Reply #164

Peak stupid if we do that, let alone even consider it.  100% concur with that comment.  After 11 games?