Skip to main content
Topic: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne (Read 110227 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 4: Carlton VS Melbourne

Reply #30
I think Ratten lolled us into a false sense of where we were at: he managed to get an ordinary team with 1 champion into the finals and play with esprit de corps.
Of course, he was not going to win a premiership with that squad and they screwed him up no end. However, decisions were made on the basis of those results.
Now those decisions look pretty ordinary, but very few of us will claim to prescient. I definitely am not. Otherwise I'd win tattslotto and put my employment issues far behind me.

So, our list needs a complete overhaul. It isn't all that needs an overhaul. Our whole development structure and off field leadership needs work. But, be that as it may, we have issues that we must address now.
[1] It looks like we need to do a St. Kilda and sacrifice some players for young talent.
[2] We need to blood some kids.

This week, against Melbourne, is the perfect time to start. I wouldn't sacrifice a lot of kids, but 2 would be a decent start. Cripps and Giles? Graham? Whatever. We need to introduce some kids and this is the best place to start.
I would not play Docherty for another couple of weeks yet: he needs time to get his match fitness back. I don't know if Holman is ready yet either, but he won't be far away.

I'd be thinking of dropping Tuohy. He is struggling at the moment and being beaten one on one. That is not like him at all. I am not sure he is 100 % fit, but if he is he needs to get his confidence back. I'd also play him in the middle in the VFL: get him into the game and give him the chance to really attack.

Garlett: I know the Prince offers a fair bit of defensive effort across the forward line, but he is also struggling. He hasn't run anyone down for a while, nor taken any marks (which he certainly can). he has lost faith with must of his kicking and just needs to get his confidence up.
Replacing him is an issue I am not sure of the solution as yet. Yazz?

Cameron Wood (and I still can't believe I am writing this) has probably done enough to earn a call up. He has dominate the ruck and taken marks around the ground. Warnock just hasn't managed that.

I am not sure what to do about Daisy Thomas either. He is along way from his best form and fitness and probably won't be back to that until next year. That is going to make the decision to recruit him a questionable one. he doesn't lack endeavor, but he is not getting to contests or managing to win as many one on ones as we require.

Scotland has probably done enough to get in.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #31
People who want Malthouse gone are idiots. It's the players, not the coach. We just need to reassess his objectives. His recruiting of Menzel, Graham, Cripps and Giles (I know it's early) have already given us hope in the future. He needs another list cull at the end of this year and needs to set us up for his successor.

You are seriously delusional. He never recruited those blokes he was off promoting his book remember?

He was at both National Drafts. I'm sure it wasn't for a book signing.

Reply #32
B: Giles, Jamison, Buckley
HB: Yarran, Henderson, Docherty
C: Thomas, Judd, Cripps
HF: Walker, Waite, Menzel
F: Garlett, Casboult, Everitt
R: Wood, Murphy, Simpson
I/C : Holman, Curnow, Graham, Robinson

I'd happily go with that team but I dont see it happening...

Reply #33
People who want Malthouse gone are idiots. It's the players, not the coach. We just need to reassess his objectives. His recruiting of Menzel, Graham, Cripps and Giles (I know it's early) have already given us hope in the future. He needs another list cull at the end of this year and needs to set us up for his successor.

You are seriously delusional. He never recruited those blokes he was off promoting his book remember?

He was at both National Drafts. I'm sure it wasn't for a book signing.

Doesn't he think he will coach for ever? ;)
With the current list of assistant coaches, there is no successor plan ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #34

Looks good, but swap Robbo for Bell and Garlett for Ellard
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #35
Scotland Casboult Cripps Temay Wood Graham. That's the best player list  from the  NBs. Why wouldn't one play them all this week. It's Melbourne so  give Giles a run as well.

Don't care about  the number of  changes, just  send  the message.

Reply #36

Looks good, but swap Robbo for Bell and Garlett for Ellard

judd is still injured - bring in graham

Reply #37
Scotland Casboult Cripps Temay Wood Graham. That's the best player list  from the  NBs. Why wouldn't one play them all this week. It's Melbourne so  give Giles a run as well.

Would it be seen as "tanking" with those sort of inclusions? Who decides the difference between tanking and playing for the future?

Would give Giles a run. They don't have any genuine key forwards in.

I'd go with this...

OUT: White, Robinson, Ellard
IN: Giles, Cripps, Graham/Temay

Don't care if we lose with those inclusions.

Reply #38
http://www.hmgem.com.au/?id=12

MM should give these blokes a ring - see if they could do anything about our engine before the week end.  ::)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39

Would it be seen as "tanking" with those sort of inclusions? Who decides the difference between tanking and playing for the future?

Would give Giles a run. They don't have any genuine key forwards in.

I'd go with this...

OUT: White, Robinson, Ellard
IN: Giles, Cripps, Graham/Temay

Don't care if we lose with those inclusions.

No-one will think we're tanking. Stiff sh1t if they do. Send a message!

We'll win by a huge margin this week after that embarrassment. Even our side has a little more pride than that. The question is will it slip  back  a few weeks later.

Reply #40
If we lose to the Dees next week, Malthouse will be sacked, nothing is surer !!!
And if that happens that Club is an embarrament and a disgrace, I will never set foot in the place or watch a game again.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #43
If we lose to the Dees next week, Malthouse will be sacked, nothing is surer !!!

Surely Swann would have to follow.

Swann to go at seasons end is the rumour....

Hopefully as part of the major clear out we all hanker for.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #44
I think Ratten lolled us into a false sense of where we were at: he managed to get an ordinary team with 1 champion into the finals and play with esprit de corps.
Of course, he was not going to win a premiership with that squad and they screwed him up no end. However, decisions were made on the basis of those results.
Now those decisions look pretty ordinary, but very few of us will claim to prescient. I definitely am not. Otherwise I'd win tattslotto and put my employment issues far behind me.

So, our list needs a complete overhaul. It isn't all that needs an overhaul. Our whole development structure and off field leadership needs work. But, be that as it may, we have issues that we must address now.
[1] It looks like we need to do a St. Kilda and sacrifice some players for young talent.
[2] We need to blood some kids.

This week, against Melbourne, is the perfect time to start. I wouldn't sacrifice a lot of kids, but 2 would be a decent start. Cripps and Giles? Graham? Whatever. We need to introduce some kids and this is the best place to start.
I would not play Docherty for another couple of weeks yet: he needs time to get his match fitness back. I don't know if Holman is ready yet either, but he won't be far away.

I'd be thinking of dropping Tuohy. He is struggling at the moment and being beaten one on one. That is not like him at all. I am not sure he is 100 % fit, but if he is he needs to get his confidence back. I'd also play him in the middle in the VFL: get him into the game and give him the chance to really attack.

Garlett: I know the Prince offers a fair bit of defensive effort across the forward line, but he is also struggling. He hasn't run anyone down for a while, nor taken any marks (which he certainly can). he has lost faith with must of his kicking and just needs to get his confidence up.
Replacing him is an issue I am not sure of the solution as yet. Yazz?

Cameron Wood (and I still can't believe I am writing this) has probably done enough to earn a call up. He has dominate the ruck and taken marks around the ground. Warnock just hasn't managed that.

I am not sure what to do about Daisy Thomas either. He is along way from his best form and fitness and probably won't be back to that until next year. That is going to make the decision to recruit him a questionable one. he doesn't lack endeavor, but he is not getting to contests or managing to win as many one on ones as we require.

Scotland has probably done enough to get in.

Balanced and fair.

Sam D. isn't ready yet. There were glimpses of his obvious class yesterday but he also made some howlers that would only be because of lack of match fitness. Another game or two and yep, bring him in.

Scotland should replace White or Zackery. You're right, CRASH, Zackery is struggling and Scotto was just great yesterday... play and leadership wise.

I would definitely reward Cripps with a gig. Probably to replace Bell or Robbo.

No brainer for Wood or Meat to replace Warnock... Levi showed real endeavour yesterday and took at least a half dozen strong contested grabs. Like Meat, Wood marked around the ground and read the play really well.

Don't know how Temay made the best players... must have been his 4 goals. One was a pearl. The rest were from great work from team mates... too slow.

Graham should also be a monty as he got plenty of the aggott yesterday, but must learn to go in harder and dispose better.

The outs should be: White, Bell, Robinson & Warnock. Ins from Scotland, Cripps, Wood, Casboult, Giles, Graham, Armfield & Reynolds. Watson at the outside if the Dees have a slow tall forward. Lucas did not play yesterday and McLean didn't appear in the 2nd half after a poor first half - reckon he's carrying an injury.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17