Skip to main content
Topic: Lou Richards (Read 3594 times) previous topic - next topic

Lou Richards

Just heard of the passing of Lou aged 94. RIP.

He was one of the commentators I first heard when I started watching footy. Very sad to hear this news.
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Lou Richards

Reply #1
Just heard of the passing of Lou aged 94. RIP.

He was one of the commentators I first heard when I started watching footy. Very sad to hear this news.

Same. RIP.

Reply #2
Captain Blood, The Geelong Flyer and Louie the Lip, absolute classic TV, was my intro to the VFL. Rip Lou, should've been elevated to Legend status before his passing....
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #3
Wouldn't you love to be at the 'League Teams' reunion this week, with the 3 originals together!!

R.I.P   Trailblazer, original, one of a kind.

Reply #4

Brought the game to life through his commentary....current lot commenters not in the same league.

Sadly unlikely to be another like Lou.

RIP :(

Reply #5
I used to have the odd beer in the Phoenix and Lou was a great publican, very friendly and had no airs and graces despite being a legend of the game for Collingwood.  It was impossible not to like him, even if he was a dirty little mongrel as a player.

He did so much for the game, particularly on World of Sport and League Teams, and will be sadly missed.

RIP
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
There will never be another commentator as good as Lou.

Apparently wasn't a bad footballer either.

RIP.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #7
Captain Blood, The Geelong Flyer and Louie the Lip, absolute classic TV, was my intro to the VFL. Rip Lou, should've been elevated to Legend status before his passing....

x2..used to stay up for League teams and the banter....nice fella was Lou and I cant believe he didnt make legend status....thats a real oversight by the AFL and he will be missed ...RIP.

Reply #8
Superstar
RIP
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Loved Lou, grew up watching him and his shenanigans. He loved to hate Carlton but he loved footy and it was infectious. Top bloke.
RIP
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #10
Loved Lou as well, he was my favorite football media personality growing up, he wasn't crass like Sammy and the likes, he was 100% likable.

To me he actually is the biggest name in the sports history when you consider what he done to bring football to us all.

The AFL has to make him a legend, because what do we have legends for but to remind us of the people that greatly contributed to this game.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #11
Loved Lou, grew up watching him and his shenanigans. He loved to hate Carlton but he loved footy and it was infectious. Top bloke.
RIP
If Lou, Jack and Bobby (God Rest Their Souls) were alive today doing League Teams, it would be the highest rating football show by the length of the Flemmington straight. Derm said Lou once said to him "go through you career but remember, there are two things that are free, fresh air and servility". He did indeed serve and please us well.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
A true great in so many ways. Honest, funny and a gentleman. Small in physical statue, giant in influence.

RIP Louie. Bet you're holding hands with your Edna now, and telling her one of your jokes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #13
The image of Lou there in Lygon St with Mario Bortelotto tipping a plate of spaghetti over his head will stay with me forever...........Oh for the infectious enthusaism for the game in media types today...instead of them blandly & blindly following of the AFL propaganda machine.

RIP Lou, the voice of TV footy from my childhood years & forever.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #14
Anything he didn't eat, Mario got to tip over his head.  Morae of story; don't bet against the blues in Grand Finals.

Mario Bortolotto, what a legend.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?