Skip to main content
Topic: SPS (Read 7932 times) previous topic - next topic

SPS

All the SPS admirers thinking he needs to play midfield, think again

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/839141/carlton-s-mr-fix-it-amos-update-on-petrevski-seton?fbclid=IwAR2qBBPAIwzbsvwnRKbHJyNrzqWrNNBRSavj2Z6vBVAlDKTuaH5pjAXw12w
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: SPS

Reply #1
All the SPS admirers thinking he needs to play midfield, think again

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/839141/carlton-s-mr-fix-it-amos-update-on-petrevski-seton?fbclid=IwAR2qBBPAIwzbsvwnRKbHJyNrzqWrNNBRSavj2Z6vBVAlDKTuaH5pjAXw12w

Judging by the recruiting and also by the noise coming out of the club, it sounds like pace and attacking flair is a big priority. It's the right move IMO to use SPS as an attacking defender. Both he and Saad could conceivably play higher up then the other defenders. I'll be most interested to see what we serve up in the first few games.

Reply #2
Judging by the recruiting and also by the noise coming out of the club, it sounds like pace and attacking flair is a big priority. It's the right move IMO to use SPS as an attacking defender. Both he and Saad could conceivably play higher up then the other defenders. I'll be most interested to see what we serve up in the first few games.
Perhaps Pauly, only problem I see is SPS has no leg speed.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #3
Perhaps Pauly, only problem I see is SPS has no leg speed.

No, he's not fast, I agree. But having an attacking flair and good instincts can compensate for the lack of speed, to a degree. The thing that worried me was hearing Amos talk about him as a potential Mr Fix It, something which usually results in whipping boy status and unrealised potential. Just ask Bryce.

Reply #4
I don't understand this peronally. He has to play on instinct because he doesn't know how to play half back. How many half backs do we have that do know how to play half back. Why not use one of them, or our new recruits?

Jones and Weitering are a lock for the KP. So who else plays down back?

I'll be generous, pick 6 from the following and 2 can play wings as well.

SPS, Docherty, Plowman, Newman, Williamson, Saad, Williams, Marchbank, Stocker.

How many mid spots have you got left now? Who misses from there?

Reply #5
SPS, Docherty, Plowman, Newman, Williamson, Saad, Williams, Marchbank, Stocker.

How many mid spots have you got left now? Who misses from there?

Depth: isn't it nice to have some, for the first time in years. I hope we have this problem a lot, as I'm tired of having half of our team sitting in the stands. We haven't finished a season with anything close to a full list since the mid-90's. Teams like Richmond and Brisbane have full lists come finals time, and what do they do?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
SPS doesn't defend, Saad doesn't want to pick up a man either.

Reply #7
SPS doesn't defend, Saad doesn't want to pick up a man either.

EB to my surprise, he conceded very few goals.
From the article:
Champion Data stats show that Petrevski-Seton conceded less than a goal a game to his direct opponent this year, including having no goals conceded between Rounds 11 and 17.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
EB to my surprise, he conceded very few goals.
From the article:
Champion Data stats show that Petrevski-Seton conceded less than a goal a game to his direct opponent this year, including having no goals conceded between Rounds 11 and 17.

Yes, if Samo is getting the pill and his opponent isn’t, he is defending.

It seemed to me that there were times when he was unsure whether he had the time to get the ball to a teammate and got pinged for holding the ball or turned it over.  Experience should help to minimise those situations.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #9
I thought SPS began to look a lot better this year imo, and restored some faith that he may well become a very good player for us. Prior to that I definitely had significant doubts about him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
He needs to recover his tackling ability and work on his linking with slick passes by hand and foot.  I'm somewhat hopeful

Reply #11
If our back line is to come from SPS, Weitering, Marchbank, Docherty, Jones, Saad, Plowman, Newman & Williamson, with back ups from William, Casboult, Silvagni & McGovern, then we are in pretty good shape.

Reply #12
I don't think our D50 has been a problem for years.

As far as I'm concerned, teams mostly score heavily against us because of a lack of run and chase from our F50 and Mids!

Fans go ballistic at guys like Plowman, SPS and Weitering for being too slow, losing their direct opponent, etc., etc., but they can't be left to frequently guard 2 or 3 opponents(Usually an opposition Forward supported by his Mids or even HBFs) and then expected our guys to come out winners every time, and it happens too often! In the meantime our Mids or Forwards are hanging around the 50m arc waiting for the turnover, or sprinting to the bench for a breather instead of sprinting after an opponent!

How many times playing against the Ferals do you see a Feral Mid blocking our Defender's run to give the Feral Forward a free run, it's like the Feral coach has it on replay! If you have a wide field view you get to watch our Mids running to the interchange as this is happening in the opposition's forward pocket!

Carlton Forwards and Mids have to hunt opponents over the whole playing surface, not just when they are within kicking range of goal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
We concede most of our goals from the turnover.

That usually happens when a team is switching from defense to attack, and then a turnover occurs.

I think one of our previous stats was conceding from turnovers where we were ranked at the wrong end of that scale and one of the reasons 2020 was positive for us, was that trend was well and truly reversed. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
I thought SPS began to look a lot better this year imo, and restored some faith that he may well become a very good player for us. Prior to that I definitely had significant doubts about him.
I don't see it personally, still looks like he picks and chooses, dinky 15m sideways, frustrates the bejesus out of me. I'll lay London to a Brick that if he played for another mob, many here wouldn't rate him and would be very critical of him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th