Skip to main content
Topic: SPS (Read 7932 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SPS

Reply #15
I don't see it personally, still looks like he picks and chooses, dinky 15m sideways, frustrates the bejesus out of me. I'll lay London to a Brick that if he played for another mob, many here wouldn't rate him and would be very critical of him.

What are you expecting to see from a young bloke (22, 80 games) and played out of position?

Would any other team play him o the HBF?

This guy is an easy B grader, possible A grader.

Others have far more issues.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
I don't see it personally, still looks like he picks and chooses, dinky 15m sideways, frustrates the bejesus out of me. I'll lay London to a Brick that if he played for another mob, many here wouldn't rate him and would be very critical of him.

I don’t see that at all 🤔

I see a super-competitive, hard-nosed footballer who always tries to do the right thing for the team, but occasionally makes the wrong decision.  I also see a bloke who is played out of position but is working his butt off to make that position his own.

I think that Samo is a bit like Gibbsy in that he polarises supporters, perhaps because they both seem to take their time sizing up the situation before committing to the best option.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
I think the general perception of SPS is that he picks and chooses his battles and can lack intenstity...think it was the Gold Coast game where Lachie Weller ran away from him and goaled and there wasnt much effort in chasing but then he played a very good game vs Essendon on Tippa and kept him quiet.
Agree he is being played out of position but that seems to be the case with many players these days and its all part of modern footy. His contract expires end of 2021, be interesting to see his and the clubs approach and how keen both parties are to commit to each other..

Reply #18
I note EB in that SPS communication  that Amos outlined that Kemp was to be trained in a defensive role (intercept defender)  which raised an eyebrow.  As I keep posting in rebuttal to some musings on this site,  Kemp is not a midfielder and expectations that he was to fill such a role were unrealistic.  It makes our list build look a bit weird if we are specifically drafting a 191 CM utility style  player for that role.  Surely we can field a decent defensive unit from the plethora of defensive options without pushing the likes of Kemp and SPS back?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
Prior to his injury Kemp was playing in the midfield rotations, he was filling a Charlie type role for his team as a marking target and big bodied midfielder, and it was that duality of role that caught the recruiters attention. Although it was all clearly new to him, it wasn't like he was a career mid.

Fans often ignore things like growth spurts and Kemp grew about 8cm towards the end of his junior career, prior to that he was looking more like a Docherty marking defender type than Charlie mid.

Kemp has always been a reasonable ball user, I don't see him competing with Doc, SPS or Saad for the HBF role. So I wonder what will happen with Stocker, given our list changes he needs to get a wriggle on if he wants to feature! I think for Kemp and Stocker their best go is very closely aligned, sweeping the back of the stoppage and putting the ball inside F50 by foot, they are both powerful athletes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
I note EB in that SPS communication  that Amos outlined that Kemp was to be trained in a defensive role (intercept defender)  which raised an eyebrow.  As I keep posting in rebuttal to some musings on this site,  Kemp is not a midfielder and expectations that he was to fill such a role were unrealistic.  It makes our list build look a bit weird if we are specifically drafting a 191 CM utility style  player for that role.  Surely we can field a decent defensive unit from the plethora of defensive options without pushing the likes of Kemp and SPS back?
Prof, Kemp played his best footy at U18 level as that Jeremy Howe intercept marking defender type. His marking and kicking are his weapons IMHO, got no doubt when fit he can be used as a tall winger/mid but too me that wasn't his forte. Like a lot of kids who are standouts they get used everywhere at U18 level and he will be another Andrew Walker who trouble shoots a few positions, just hope we don't mess him up like we did AW.

Reply #21
My fear EB is that he doesn't really have a position and expecting a bloke of his body shape/size to develop the aerobic capacity to play significant midfield minutes is unrealistic. 

Good kick and really smart football brain, reads play well,  just concerned that he's not big enough for a KP and not quick/agile enough to play a small's role. So I guess a Howe-type role is a good one for him to aspire to.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
I am not sure, but I think Stocker is very much not in any equations for senior football in 2021 and is very much a get him in the right head space, and see if he is a resource that can be used.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
EB to my surprise, he conceded very few goals.
From the article:
Champion Data stats show that Petrevski-Seton conceded less than a goal a game to his direct opponent this year, including having no goals conceded between Rounds 11 and 17.

I can remember him giving up two goals against WCE, but then again, they were probably the two biggest umpiring howlers of 2020!
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #24

What are you expecting to see from a young bloke (22, 80 games) and played out of position?

Would any other team play him o the HBF?

This guy is an easy B grader, possible A grader.

Others have far more issues.
You, me and many others say he is playing out of position, the club doesnt think so.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
I am not sure, but I think Stocker is very much not in any equations for senior football in 2021 and is very much a get him in the right head space, and see if he is a resource that can be used.

Thry. Got this in my tweeter feed a couple of days ago. Very encouraging. Not sure if this link will work without a twitter account.

Reply #26
@^^^^^
Sounds impresive doesn't it.

In reality, its only 5km a day. Some of the best mids would run 3 days worth in 1 game.

Our AFLW twins Sarah and Jess Hosking ran a marathon last year and i reckon they probably would've doubled that output over the same period.

Reply #27
That is on top of the standard program.

Reply #28
@^^^^^
Sounds impresive doesn't it.

In reality, its only 5km a day. Some of the best mids would run 3 days worth in 1 game.

Our AFLW twins Sarah and Jess Hosking ran a marathon last year and i reckon they probably would've doubled that output over the same period.

Your slipping Krud.  ;D
If you read through it its on top of his normal program. So showing some determination to make it through and make up for the lost time this year. Hopefully he will bring that into the pre-season and a round 1 spot.

Reply #29
Thry. Got this in my tweeter feed a couple of days ago. Very encouraging. Not sure if this link will work without a twitter account.

Im not worried about his ability or professionalism.

The rumour is that he's had some mental health problems and im encouraged by the tweet.

Part of ensuring he's back in it is pressure off.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson