Skip to main content
Topic: SPS (Read 8046 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SPS

Reply #30
@^^^^^
Sounds impresive doesn't it.

In reality, its only 5km a day. Some of the best mids would run 3 days worth in 1 game.

Our AFLW twins Sarah and Jess Hosking ran a marathon last year and i reckon they probably would've doubled that output over the same period.
Not likely.

The players male or female cannot exclusively run as they would waste too much, lose what they have gained, they have a lot of other sessions they need to complete, but this is during a break so it's a pretty reasonable effort! Probably at least 6 to 8 days during that period would be leg days in weight sessions, there would no little or no running and not much the day after as it slows tissue repair and increases the risk of soft tissue injuries. So weight days you get warm up jogs maybe, the day after light runs only perhaps with some skills work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Interesting factoid from Teague's members' presser; Samo led the league in defensive 50 ground ball gets. 

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32
Interesting factoid from Teague's members' presser; Samo led the league in defensive 50 ground ball gets. 

Yay
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
The other point Teague made is that they are relying on Samo being able to hit a target coming out of the defensive 50. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #34
Your slipping Krud.  ;D
If you read through it its on top of his normal program. So showing some determination to make it through and make up for the lost time this year. Hopefully he will bring that into the pre-season and a round 1 spot.

Even still, its really not that much.

I'm not saying its all for nothing, but i get a touch of the 'pre-season: he's flying' vibes which is put out each year to sell memberships.

Reply #35
Not likely.

The players male or female cannot exclusively run as they would waste too much, lose what they have gained, they have a lot of other sessions they need to complete, but this is during a break so it's a pretty reasonable effort! Probably at least 6 to 8 days during that period would be leg days in weight sessions, there would no little or no running and not much the day after as it slows tissue repair and increases the risk of soft tissue injuries. So weight days you get warm up jogs maybe, the day after light runs only perhaps with some skills work.

Yes likely.

This was off-season for the twins and they didn't want to put on weight/muscle.

I used to run back in the day and i remember the last time i was training for an ultra-half marathon (28km?) i would've put those numbers up easily (while doing a full time job), and i was slack with the training. In order to do the full marathon, it would've been heaps more which is made easier when that IS your job.

Reply #36
SPS is going @74% in 2020 with his DE which is not bad, problem is he doesnt get enough of the ball and was averaging about 14 possies a game with only 9-10 kicks and 1 x Inside 50, thats not really going to give us much rebound.
As a comparison Saad went at 19 possies@81% DE.., Sam Docherty went at 19 possies@76% DE.
For the premiers..Houli averaged 19 possies @78%DE  and Jayden Short went @19 possies@82%DE
Interesting stat is metres gained..SPS gained 167m and Short 480m.....Weitering was 216m gained...
I'm a tad confused how we are fitting everyone in down back especially with Saad, Docherty, Jones and Weitering as locks to play...if SPS is being kept down back then only one of Marchbank, Plowman, Newman, Williamson can play in the starting 18.
I'd like to see SPS used further up the ground and try and get him into the play more and encourage more run from him...

Reply #37
Agreed EB and I said the same thing during the season. He was recruited as a midfielder and given the number of other younger mids that we've recruited who haven't come on as hoped, I would've thought SPS was a lock to play more in the middle. Unfortunately we've got a few who just don't get enough of the ball.

Reply #38
You’re missing Teague’s point; Samo’s role is to hit a target coming out of defensive 50, something he generally does quite well.  His DE is lower than it should be as a result of 50/50 kicks under extreme pressure.

Of all of our defensive options, Samo is the only one with the poise and skill to hit a target most of the time.  Weitering is pretty good but generally isn’t under the same pressure.

As for our defensive mix, the reduced rotations will probably mean that taller defenders will spend little time on the pine.  That means that the starting 18 will include Weitering, Jones, Docherty, Samo, Plowman and Saad with Williamson and/or Marchbank on the bench.

Samo could spend more time in the midfield, or as a small forward, if the likes of Stocker or Kemp can step up and perform his defensive role.

Reply #39
You’re missing Teague’s point; Samo’s role is to hit a target coming out of defensive 50, something he generally does quite well.  His DE is lower than it should be as a result of 50/50 kicks under extreme pressure.

Of all of our defensive options, Samo is the only one with the poise and skill to hit a target most of the time.  Weitering is pretty good but generally isn’t under the same pressure.

As for our defensive mix, the reduced rotations will probably mean that taller defenders will spend little time on the pine.  That means that the starting 18 will include Weitering, Jones, Docherty, Samo, Plowman and Saad with Williamson and/or Marchbank on the bench.

Samo could spend more time in the midfield, or as a small forward, if the likes of Stocker or Kemp can step up and perform his defensive role.

I think Docherty uses the ball ok, SPS tends to kick the ball short imo, if he is the designated player to deliver the ball from defense he needs to get more ball.. 9-10 kicks isn't enough.

Reply #40
I think Docherty uses the ball ok, SPS tends to kick the ball short imo, if he is the designated player to deliver the ball from defense he needs to get more ball.. 9-10 kicks isn't enough.

Docherty tends to get cleaner possessions because of his largely loose player role.  He butchers the ball as much as anyone else when under pressure.

Samo definitely needs to get more of the ball. Perhaps Jones should be told to handball to Samo at every opportunity. That would significantly reduce our defensive 50 turnovers.

Reply #41

My take is that yes Samo often goes for a short kick, but it’s marked and gives us a “settled” kick as opposed to a pressured or play on type of possession.
Maybe that’s what they are looking for from him, hit a target when under pressure to release that pressure, then we can regroup and run and gun ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #42
My take is that yes Samo often goes for a short kick, but it’s marked and gives us a “settled” kick as opposed to a pressured or play on type of possession.
Maybe that’s what they are looking for from him, hit a target when under pressure to release that pressure, then we can regroup and run and gun ?

I think that’s exactly what Teague wants.  The MC must have decided that Samo is best able to hit that target and is more than able to play his defensive role, as the stats suggest.

Reply #43
Reckon most of our backline are not clean with disposal.  General malaise that needs a remedy.  It will come

Reply #44
I can't work out why we leave Weitering anchored in the D50, it plays into the opposition hands.

We need him up the ground and kicking into our attacking zone, he's on of the best long kicks in the competition.

I'll tear my hair out if we end up with Marchbank up the field intercept marking and then spraying the footy like weed killer!
The Force Awakens!