Skip to main content
Topic: SPS (Read 8028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SPS

Reply #75
Of that list of midfielders,  I reckon 50% won't be listed come end of 2021.

I reckon that list is deceptive,  we've actually got very few midfielders that can be relied to perform in that role.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #76

I reckon that list is deceptive,  we've actually got very few midfielders that can be relied to perform in that role.

Agree, we lack the real proven class midfield players apart from Cripps and Walsh, but do have an abundance of mids on the list. I think there will be a major effort to get another class proven mid next season and we will trade/delist a few of those mids in training who havent improved.

Reply #77

Just about
Cripps, Walsh, Murphy, Curnow, Setterfield, Newnes, Martin, Gibbons, Kennedy, Betts, Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell, Philp, Fisher and Cuningham,
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #78
Just about
Cripps, Walsh, Murphy, Curnow, Setterfield, Newnes, Martin, Gibbons, Kennedy, Betts, Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell, Philp, Fisher and Cuningham,
Those blokes in red are not mids.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #79
Just about
I think Paddy Dow will ask for a trade if he cant crack too many senior games, reckon Philp might be persisted with and Ed will get another year after 2021 because he is still one of our more consistent players all be it limited in some areas.

Reply #80
Those blokes in red are not mids.

Since when have wingers not been midfielders?  Walsh, Murphy, Newnes, Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell and Philp all played on the wing and Betts, Fisher and Cuningham all started in the centre square at times during the season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #81
Really don’t think our midfield options are too bad at all (excluding Kennedy, Newnes and OBrien all of whom I rate as depth only)

SPS has never been a defender, so could be viewed as having been played out of position for a couple of years and my fingers are crossed that he’s released into the midfield. Great user.

Dow has all the attributes and I haven’t lost hope, but 21 is critical for him.

Not yet sure what to make of Kemp, Stocker, Philp and Honey, but one or more could surprise.

Of the blue chip midfield options in 2021 Cripps, Setterfield & Silvagni are all capable of performing the big body mid role, Curnow or Silvagni can tag and we have a plethora of other general midfielders such as Martin, Williams, SPS, Walsh, Murphy, Dow, Cunningham & Gibbons. I’d also like to see Tom Williamson on a wing in 21.

Plenty of choices and a first choice midfield of
Tom DeKoning (Ruck) Cripps (Ruck Rover) SPS (Rover) Williams (Wing) Walsh (Center) & Martin (Wing) is exciting.

Bigger concern is key defensive depth, CCurnow and our small forward stocks - I’d expect Murphy to move into fwd 50

Reply #82
Really don’t think our midfield options are too bad at all (excluding Kennedy, Newnes and OBrien all of whom I rate as depth only)

SPS has never been a defender, so could be viewed as having been played out of position for a couple of years and my fingers are crossed that he’s released into the midfield. Great user.

Dow has all the attributes and I haven’t lost hope, but 21 is critical for him.

Not yet sure what to make of Kemp, Stocker, Philp and Honey, but one or more could surprise.

Of the blue chip midfield options in 2021 Cripps, Setterfield & Silvagni are all capable of performing the big body mid role, Curnow or Silvagni can tag and we have a plethora of other general midfielders such as Martin, Williams, SPS, Walsh, Murphy, Dow, Cunningham & Gibbons. I’d also like to see Tom Williamson on a wing in 21.

Plenty of choices and a first choice midfield of
Tom DeKoning (Ruck) Cripps (Ruck Rover) SPS (Rover) Williams (Wing) Walsh (Center) & Martin (Wing) is exciting.

Bigger concern is key defensive depth, CCurnow and our small forward stocks - I’d expect Murphy to move into fwd 50
I think Jack is a decent player but not a true mid, he is a competitor but I wouldnt call him a class big bodied mid.
More of a 3rd string rotation when you have injuries or need a lift and something different. I also see his future at the club unknown and I wouldnt be counting on him being on the list long term.
Setterfield is a good B grader but doesnt get real big numbers or have that real class disposal, probably along the lines of Dunkley from the Dogs who plays his role but isnt at the level of the Bont or MacRae.
Think we need another decent sized mid with a bit of class, the real good teams have three or four A graders in the middle and we fall away after Cripps and Walsh IMO...Martin has that class but doesnt seem ever destined for a FT midfield role but more of a shock trooper who you throw in the middle for a lift when we are in trouble but will play more time forward.
Agree on the defensive depth and we will be forced to take Oscar McDonald as insurance Imho.....I think Durdin and Fogarty will give us a lift in the small forward area and my personal view is that Durdin will be a very exciting player who can fill Eddies position.
Charlie Curnow remains a player who is a bonus if he plays but I wouldnt be building a game plan around him just yet until he proves he can stay on the park. Like your thoughts on Williamson, I like tall wingers and he is such a good kick he could be our Issac Smith providing he too can remain injury free..

Reply #83
I'm a little bit different to most fans, too many front line mids and they just get in each others way, you got to have a mix of Generals and Foot-Soldiers to win a war!

I notice the Handbaggers have noted this, and now only resort to all the Handbagger mids in the middle at once when they run out of ideas and even then it rarely works!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
That's what Custer said :)

Reply #85
That's what Custer said :)
Actually Custer was a solo Lt. General and a great example, he had too many foot-soldiers and not enough Generals!

He was defeated by a Sioux army of three tribes led by three Chiefs, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and Gall.

When I look at AFL clubs, I see a range of imbalance, look at the Filth coaching division, more coaches than players that is probably doomed to fail. Coaches becoming obstacles and excuses for other coaches!

Look at our midfield, too many foot-soldiers and not enough Chiefs! Maybe our F50 has too many Chiefs and not enough foot-solders, our D50 is the only section that looks balanced.
The Force Awakens!