Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome Oscar McDonald (Read 3617 times) previous topic - next topic

Welcome Oscar McDonald

Was the obvious choice in the finish. He's 24, has shown he can play, maybe needs a second chance.

Re: Welcome Oscar McDonald

Reply #2
He showed in the last game that not only is he worth a spot on our list, he might be in the side round 1. A lot of injured taller players on our list. From kp backs, kp forwards and even rucks, injuries across the board and he is a backup to all. It makes sense to play him imo

Reply #3
He showed in the last game that not only is he worth a spot on our list, he might be in the side round 1. A lot of injured taller players on our list. From kp backs, kp forwards and even rucks, injuries across the board and he is a backup to all. It makes sense to play him imo
Agree, he can play a few roles, is a decent size and has earned his place.
Reckon he will play rnd1.

Reply #4
Agree, he can play a few roles, is a decent size and has earned his place.
Reckon he will play rnd1.
I'm not sure the choice was so cut and dry, but I suspect Weitering getting that corky in the practice match secured McDonald's tenure, McDonald was in the right place at the right time!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Yes, I changed my mind after his game against the Saints, particularly as he was playing an unfamiliar role.

Good luck Oscar ... you look much better in Navy Blue 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
The right call I guess.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
I guess this explains why we cut Ben SOS last year.

Don't get me wrong, I think the kid (BSOS) has promise, but when you need a depth option that can stand up right now it is a relative no brainer and before we roll out the rest of the "gonna  be's" currently running around with us, I think we are shifting away from slow heat developers a little and looking more at players with bonafides and need to shrink that pool in line with the shrinking list sizes.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
I think the reduction in list sizes played a big part in Ben Silvagni being cut as well as the lack of opportunities due to Covid last year to have real development as a key position player. Oscar McDonald is a ready made player whereas someone like Ben would still be a couple of years away.

Reply #10
I think the reduction in list sizes played a big part in Ben Silvagni being cut as well as the lack of opportunities due to Covid last year to have real development as a key position player. Oscar McDonald is a ready made player whereas someone like Ben would still be a couple of years away.

Absolutely correct.  If Weiters or Jones go down during the year, we have a readymade replacement who at least has enough size to compete.  He only got the chop at Melbourne because May and Lever were ahead of him.

He certainly didn't look out of place on Thursday night (unlike Callum Moore in every game I saw him play in Blue).
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #11
Struggling with the decision to delist Macreadie and recruit MacDonald???? Doesn’t make much sense to me

Reply #12
Struggling with the decision to delist Macreadie and recruit MacDonald???? Doesn’t make much sense to me
The only explanation is that OMac has shown, in the short time he has been there, that he has more strings to his bow than HMAc.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Think McDonald is seen as more ready made and battle ready.
It’s the battle ready bit that’s confusing - ask any Dees supporter about him and they’re very pleased to see the back of him and at 24 that’s unlikely to change.