Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome Oscar McDonald (Read 3489 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Welcome Oscar McDonald

Reply #15
It’s the battle ready bit that’s confusing - ask any Dees supporter about him and they’re very pleased to see the back of him and at 24 that’s unlikely to change.

Not my mate.

He reckons Oscar is exactly what we need. Insurance. I agree.

Many remember me rabbiting on about getting Jack Newnes to the club. "He won't win you a game, but he'll do a role"....and he did just that.....AND won us a game.

Oscar is similar.....will do a role. Can't be relied upon to win you a game, but if you need someone to step up and cover an injury. He is highly qualified.

Macreadie has never shown that he can perform a role. Has the 'potential' to do it one day. But never performed to the extent that Oscar has already done in 2 practice matches.

This goes back to some disagreements i was having with....EB1 i think, in regards to Ben Silvagni (and others). I suggested there'd be plenty of blokes who can and will perform better that Ben right now. Ben has shown us nothing, but the hint of some potential and a nice last name. We need to stop carrying so many of these types on the list for so long. Be smart about it. Recruit a 'discard' like Oscar who will perform at a higher level than a Ben, or Macreadie. Continue to try and recruit a kid in a similar role, or a solid talent from another club, and when McDonald (or whoever) is backup to the backup, then ditch him.

Reply #16
Not my mate.

Many remember me rabbiting on about getting Jack Newnes to the club. "He won't win you a game, but he'll do a role"....and he did just that.....AND won us a game.

Oscar is similar.....will do a role. Can't be relied upon to win you a game, but if you need someone to step up and cover an injury. He is highly qualified.

Macreadie has never shown that he can perform a role. Has the 'potential' to do it one day. But never performed to the extent that Oscar has already done in 2 practice matches.

This goes back to some disagreements i was having with....EB1 i think, in regards to Ben Silvagni (and others). I suggested there'd be plenty of blokes who can and will perform better that Ben right now. Ben has shown us nothing, but the hint of some potential and a nice last name. We need to stop carrying so many of these types on the list for so long. Be smart about it. Recruit a 'discard' like Oscar who will perform at a higher level than a Ben, or Macreadie. Continue to try and recruit a kid in a similar role, or a solid talent from another club, and when McDonald (or whoever) is backup to the backup, then ditch him.
Mcdonald and Ben Silvagni are at different stages of their career. Mcdonald is ready to go and Ben was a project player.
I think there is a need for both, we do need instant backup for Jones/JW but we also need a replacement for Jones who isn't getting any younger. It could have been MaCreadie if you didn't want Ben... I won't rehash the political side to the Ben Silvagni argument and I am happy we have at least provided backup for our key backs.

Reply #17
Unfortunately for Ben Silvagni, Harrison Macreadie (and several others around the competition) 2020 did absolutely no favours players who needed significant development to become a senior player.  They barely got to play a decent game of footy, and found themselves even further behind the competition.

We have spent a long time blooding our crop of young ones, who are now crossing that 50-game threshold.  Bring on the ready-mades to complement the talent, and now.

Richmond did it - they had a core of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance, Grimes and brought in a bunch of ready-mades in Nankervis, Caddy, Houli, Grigg, Townsend, Lambert, Prestia.  Sure, they got lucky with those pick-ups, but they also started a run of 3 flags in 4 years.  Hawthorn did the same in the early 2010s and got three flags as well.

3 flags would be great, but right now I would settle for a finals appearance.....

This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #18
Mcdonald and Ben Silvagni are at different stages of their career. Mcdonald is ready to go and Ben was a project player.
I think there is a need for both, we do need instant backup for Jones/JW but we also need a replacement for Jones who isn't getting any younger. It could have been MaCreadie if you didn't want Ben... I won't rehash the political side to the Ben Silvagni argument and I am happy we have at least provided backup for our key backs.

My issue was never with Ben, or Macreadie.
It was what they had shown at their respective stages of their career.
There is a place for a project player....but there is a limit to how long you can have one on your list. We had Adam Hartlett on our list for 7 years i think?!
No point in a project player if they take up a spot on your list for 7 years and they don't deliver.
So given we were in short supply of AFL ready players, especially in KP stocks, ditching Ben (who was not AFL ready) for a player like Oscar (who is) is an easy choice....and that was my argument.

In short, backup for NOW took priority over a succession plan for Jones which may or may not work out.
Worst case scenario and you don't have a kid coming through to take over from Jones (as is our case currently) then you throw $'s at a gun player from another club.....or take the best AFL ready player around.

Its a list management philosophy.
Breed your own when you can.
Beg, borrow and steal when you need to.

Reply #19
Macdonald is young enough to be backup and could also be a bridging player to the next youngster we recruit and or another mature bona-fide afl player.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
Not my mate.

Of the guys we had challenging for a spot, MacDonald has performed when it mattered - in senior company. Moore hasn't yet. Crocker does sometimes. We haven't seen enough of Maher. But MacDonald is ready to go and fills a need. Our match committee saw it that way, I agree.

I was not a fan of Newnes, and am I still worried about his long term viability, but he stepped up last year and did what we needed him to do. He was a consistent performer: he had very few really down games and often got his share of the ball. And that last microsecond goal will live in memory.
If MacDonald can do the same, then we have made the right decision. I also have questions about his long term viability, but we need a key defender cum hole filler now.

No arguments from me.

Actually, before he was injured, Macreadie looked to be the best of his draft cohort. He didn't panic under pressure. He took some strong marks. His decision making looked good.
Unfortunately, since his back injury he has been a different player. He appears to have lost confidence in his body and he is moving a lot less quickly. That really hurt him, as he just didn't make enough contests. He is cooked, alas.
He also appeared to have lost the joy of playing footy. Maybe he can get it back in the lower grades, but we couldn't afford to keep him on.
Kruddler is right in a way: in the last 2 years he has done less and looked less impressive than MacDonald has done in 2 practice matches.

Back in the 1970's and 1980's we would have kept Ben Silvagni on for a couple more years at least, in the hope he clicks mentally. Physically, he has the weapons that Jack lacks. With lists as they are, that cannot happen these days.
I have yet to be convinced that we flicked Ben just to get back at SOS. That sounds too petty even for our administrators. maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it.
Park has shown more in the 2's than Ben did in a season. That has already justified both Park's selection and Ben's delisting.
However, I don't see Park as covering the fastest or the largest: he has his physical limitations. I expect to see us draft more key defender types in the next few drafts, and I expect us to look at other key defenders at other clubs. It makes sense in the recruiting market at present. As Kruddler mentioned, you breed your own when and where you can. For the gaps, you beg, borrow or steal. As we are looked at more favourably, especially if we win consistently, other players will look at us and want to come.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Of the guys we had challenging for a spot, MacDonald has performed when it mattered - in senior company. Moore hasn't yet. Crocker does sometimes. We haven't seen enough of Maher. But MacDonald is ready to go and fills a need. Our match committee saw it that way, I agree.
 I was not a fan of Newnes, and am I still worried about his long term viability, but he stepped up last year and did what we needed him to do. He was a consistent performer: he had very few really down games and often got his share of the ball. And that last microsecond goal will live in memory.
If MacDonald can do the same, then we have made the right decision. I also have questions about his long term viability, but we need a key defender cum hole filler now.
 No arguments from me.
Actually, before he was injured, Macreadie looked to be the best of his draft cohort. He didn't panic under pressure. He took some strong marks. His decision making looked good.
Unfortunately, since his back injury he has been a different player. He appears to have lost confidence in his body and he is moving a lot less quickly. That really hurt him, as he just didn't make enough contests. He is cooked, alas.
He also appeared to have lost the joy of playing footy. Maybe he can get it back in the lower grades, but we couldn't afford to keep him on.
Kruddler is right in a way: in the last 2 years he has done less and looked less impressive than MacDonald has done in 2 practice matches.
 Back in the 1970's and 1980's we would have kept Ben Silvagni on for a couple more years at least, in the hope he clicks mentally. Physically, he has the weapons that Jack lacks. With lists as they are, that cannot happen these days.
I have yet to be convinced that we flicked Ben just to get back at SOS. That sounds too petty even for our administrators. maybe I am wrong, but I doubt it.
Park has shown more in the 2's than Ben did in a season. That has already justified both Park's selection and Ben's delisting.
However, I don't see Park as covering the fastest or the largest: he has his physical limitations. I expect to see us draft more key defender types in the next few drafts, and I expect us to look at other key defenders at other clubs. It makes sense in the recruiting market at present. As Kruddler mentioned, you breed your own when and where you can. For the gaps, you beg, borrow or steal. As we are looked at more favourably, especially if we win consistently, other players will look at us and want to come.

Parks is not a KPD, but rather a 3rd tall or floater.

BSOS was (potentially) a true KPD. They're not like for like.

And what, 6cm odd taller?

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
Parks is not a KPD, but rather a 3rd tall or floater.

BSOS was (potentially) a true KPD. They're not like for like.

And what, 6cm odd taller?
It's only Ben's surname that keeps his name in the debate, if he wasn't a Silvagni fans would have called for his head long ago, probably starting 5 minutes after he arrived or before he was even drafted. He's a sad story, a bit like Nathan Ablett, all the potential with no work done!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Well said, well summarized and right on point, Kruds & Capt Crash. 👌 👍
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
He's an upgrade on Callum Moore but still a lemon IMO.

He should be in the VFL all season, if he plays in the seniors, then we are in serious trouble.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #25
He's an upgrade on Callum Moore but still a lemon IMO.

He should be in the VFL all season, if he plays in the seniors, then we are in serious trouble.
I think he will get a few games as that spare parts type player, we have a lot of flaky taller types who get injured and he will be
insurance in terms of having a player with size to fill some gaps.
No world beater and I wouldnt be expecting him to be the answer to Charlie Dixon, Hawkins etc but its whats available and at what cost and he could be value until we get something better. We probably need to target a KP defender along with another classy mid to complete the list.

Reply #26
I think he will get a few games as that spare parts type player, we have a lot of flaky taller types who get injured and he will be
insurance in terms of having a player with size to fill some gaps.
No world beater and I wouldnt be expecting him to be the answer to Charlie Dixon, Hawkins etc but its whats available and at what cost and he could be value until we get something better. We probably need to target a KP defender along with another classy mid to complete the list.

In the words of the song, "He'll be our little wheel until the big wheel comes along".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #27
He'll more than make up for Tomasina Bugg

Reply #29
It's only Ben's surname that keeps his name in the debate, if he wasn't a Silvagni fans would have called for his head long ago, probably starting 5 minutes after he arrived or before he was even drafted. He's a sad story, a bit like Nathan Ablett, all the potential with no work done!

How so?

Year 1 he had a significant shoulder injury. My bad that was his final school year!

2020 was a dud from a developmental perspective - for all young players.

So he was 20 when culled. Big blokes take longer...heard that before?

Had he shown a bit? This from the Club (and yeah, maybe sugar coated to some degree):

Made some promising strides as a key defender for the Northern Blues, playing all bar one match and getting significant game-time against AFL and experienced VFL forwards.

Silvagni also showed his ability to swing up forward, often having an impact and kicking two goals in a quarter against eventual VFL premiers Richmond.

After shoulder surgery disrupted his top-age season, it was a solid first step for Silvagni, who will now hope to elevate his game at both ends as he looks to break his AFL duck.
Finals, then 4 in a row!