Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 10757 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 1: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #15
Shawny and I saw it ... that weak as Pi55 seton leaving the chasing to Saad for the man he let get away.

We should have traded him in 2020.  He just doesn't care.  Disgraceful.  Get rid of him and it'll be a guaranteed improvement.  Too harsh?  Nup.

Reply #16
So close yet so far 😭😭 we need a new forwards coach #bringfevbacktocarlton
L

Reply #17
Williams might have been the difference.

All negatives aside, we carried a few passengers and could have won that.

Lots to like, a bit to work on, and considering the sheer number of outs, we did ok.  We could have won had we converted better.

On the umpires, restricting forwards run at the footy has been a free kick my whole life, particularly when a free player picks off intercept marks all night.

Lots of illegal stuff by the tigers which they get away with. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #18
For me the big difference that showed up tonight is this....
Richmond are an elite side who over the last couple of years have stayed reasonably settled and developed a great understanding of each others abilities. The click extremely well as a team.

We are not  yet a settled side.
We added a few new players who played their first games for the club tonight and they showed a bit.
They'll only get better as they play more games together and with the team.
We have a couple more who will play in the next couple of weeks that will add a bit of class to the side. (Williams and Martin). Martin is still a relative newbie in terms of the 'team'.
We talk a lot about getting games into youngsters but a far more important aspect is getting games 'together'
That's when we'll see the real improvement

Some appalling umpire and player decisions would have made for a closer result had they not occurred...but we're used to that.

The umpiring we can't control, but we can certainly work on the players, and we have enough depth now that if they don't fix those brain fades and commitment issues up they'll struggle for a place.
Plenty of room for improvement as the season progresses and I suspect our last round team will be quite different in make-up to our Round 1 side

Reply #19
On the umpires, restricting forwards run at the footy has been a free kick my whole life, particularly when a free player picks off intercept marks all night.

Lots of illegal stuff by the tigers which they get away with. 

Amen!   The number of times one of the Tigers “underrated superstar” backs took an intercept mark, without H even flying for the ball (as he was being held up off the footy) was amazing.  Do that to Dusty and the ump would not only pay it, but kick it for him

Reply #20
Shawny and I saw it ... that weak as Pi55 seton leaving the chasing to Saad for the man he let get away.

We should have traded him in 2020.  He just doesn't care.  Disgraceful.  Get rid of him and it'll be a guaranteed improvement.  Too harsh?  Nup.
Agree. The thing is this is his 6th season I think. If you still have that complete lack of effort, desire, intensity now it aren’t going anywhere.
I have more faith in Dow making it then sps

Reply #21
Very disappointed with our centre-square work.  Nankervis smashed Pitto, and hence they doubled our clearances.  No wonder they got 75 inside 50s - 19 of them came directly from centre square bounces....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #22
I'm really concerned that a number of our players are just not good enough and may never be. They all tease us with little cameo efforts but they make errors in decision & disposal that kills us everytime.

Many people have high expectations for Harry McKay but he keeps making brain-fade decisions (eg. playing on 10m from goal after marking and then getting caught) plus he refused to stick his arms out at full stretch which allowed Balta an easy spoil. 

O'Brien drops a sitter of a mark under no pressure whatsoever, recovers the ball and then kicks it straight to an opposition player .... this is completely unacceptable on every level.

If Paddy Dow wants to be taken seriously as a player, then he had to nail that shot in the last from 30m out that would have put us in front.

Pittonet ran under the ball which allowed Lynch to mark unopposed and goaled, that is just rubbish and unforgivable.

The one player that is really worrying me more than anyone else is Docherty, he makes way too many fumbles & bumbles and disposal errors for a player of his experience.

Williamson looked lost for most of the night, Casboult wasn't ready, Jones made some horrible blunders (getting pinged for the deliberate point was a travesty though), Fogarty did not impress me & Setterfield has not kicked on to the level we'd like to see.

Thank god for Walsh, he was the complete 4-quarter player and Weitering was relatively quiet by his standards but did not make an error. It was a shame Silvagni got injured because he was trying his heart out before that.

Our players kept giving one too many handballs and they always came unstuck which let Richmond back in. Also, I'd like to know how many goals we kicked from set shots as opposed to the Tigers, I think you will see that there is a rather big gulf between the two.

I think the 25-point margin flattered us in the end and we are desperate for some of the guys missing tonight to get back into the team.

Disappointed on many levels and feel resigned to another year of "maybe", "what if" and "great potential" being heard.  

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #23
A win would have been a bonus. Too many injuries up against the premiers. More interested in how we go next week.

Reply #24
Looks like yet another year of my wife saying. “They did well to only get beaten by that much!” and I can hear the same thing in the comments on here. Too many players just not good enough, yet I read comments about give them a few games in a row! I thought development was over this was the year blah blah blah would rather have a go hard at it like Cottrell  in than timid over the shoulder looker O’Brien. Fumbles, poor kicking missed tackles week after week year after year from too many players. Richmond did what they do to us every year held us at arms length then stepped on the gas and pulled away. Yet we think we did alright, they knew they would win from the opening bounce and only toyed with us. Result was a four goal win, not a scrapping pressure four point anyone’s game till the siren. 4 goals.
First bloke sacked should be fitness guru Russell, been there long enough to make an impact yet we never have our best team available, never. Richmond had Cotchin out with food poisoning no injury just crook. We always run out of gas at the wrong time and bleed easy goals from tired errors.
Too many cameo kids who we hope will come good. Hope is a bloody painful thing after twenty years☹️

Reply #25
I'm 100 % hearing you Tommy.   WTF are we gassed in red time relative to other sides,  why aren't we fit enough?   These are serious questions that need to be asked of Russell and the so-called conditioning people.

We've also got too many blokes that don't contribute anywhere near enough often enough    When are blokes like Harry or SPS ever going to deliver on their potential?  They've had enough games now,  no more "potential" bs.  I've never seen a player burn as many chances as Harry,  plays like a millionaire but really all he's delivered is hype.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
Clarkson won't tolerate SPS not putting in defensively, Doherty constantly fumbling,  LOB looking around instead of just doing what's required or Harry spraying it like a 2 y.o. toilet training.... Seconds the following week and culled end of the year.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #27
Sorry PaulP, I don't know that he has any more gears to go faster.

My TV was lucky to survive that howler in the last quarter.  I thought I was watching an Under 16 match for a few seconds there......

And someone please tell Harry to stop and kick a drop punt every time he marks the ball.  He should have kicked 5 tonight.

AFL/VFL history is littered with top 10 picks that haven't made it, and LOB may well be of those. All I'm saying is after 12 months in nothing land twiddling his thumbs, he was always going to be rusty, and his confidence is probably quite low as well. His first season was our worst season in history (2018) and 2019 was, well..............never mind. He was at least getting games, but it's not an ideal development environment. I'm saying is that he needs a good block of games and for the club to really back him, then at the mid point of the season we will be in a much better position to judge.

And frankly I'm a lot more worried about SpS than LOB.

Reply #28
I was also expecting a bigger loss, and those last couple of goals by the Tigers gave a false impression of the gap between the teams. There's still work to be done, but our best 22 would have made it very interesting. The Tigers will do a lot more damage than that to better teams than us this season, don't worry about that.

Good effort, and at last we have a few decent raw materials to work with.

Reply #29
Still too many doing too little....

Could have, arguably should have....didn't.
Finals, then 4 in a row!