Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 24 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS (Read 3023 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 24 2023 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs GWS

Reply #30
2022 - 9th.
2023 - 5th. Tick.

H is not a ruckman, but it was probably worth the experiment.

We missed the leadership of Crippa and Doc, especially when they got too many unanswered goals to set up their win in the 3rd.

Once Charles won the Coleman we struggled to find our hunting form.

Too much 'individual' stuff after half time.

Concerned that their physicality seemed to unsettle us.

Hard to imagine that having secured 5th place, and a home final, didn't impact us above the shoulders.

Importantly, Harry got plenty of it. Tap outs are overrated.

Reply #32
2022 - 9th.
2023 - 5th. Tick.

H is not a ruckman, but it was probably worth the experiment.

We missed the leadership of Crippa and Doc, especially when they got too many unanswered goals to set up their win in the 3rd.

Once Charles won the Coleman we struggled to find our hunting form.

Too much 'individual' stuff after half time.

Concerned that their physicality seemed to unsettle us.

Hard to imagine that having secured 5th place, and a home final, didn't impact us above the shoulders.
Good game to stay home for.

Reply #33
24 disposals, 78% time on ground, Disposal efficiency 70.8%. I don't think he'll be dropped from the 23.

Without going back and checking every game it seems we give our midfielders plenty of breaks. ;)

Cerra 23 disposals 74% game time
Walsh 28 diposals -74% game time
Dow 21 disposals- 75% game time
Hewett 20 disposal- 77% game time

The buggers are only playing 3/4 of a game. ::)
Pay them 25% less. :D

Reply #34
A very timely reminder that was reminiscent of earlier in the season when we weren't applying pressure in the midfield and were allowing our opponents to run free.  Without that pressure and attack on the player/ball, the giants were able to dissect our defensive set up.

Fisher got a fair bit of the ball but might have played himself out of the finals team because he doesn't perform Saad's role as well as Saad does.  There are probably better defensive-minded players who could be selected to free up Saad to do his thing by breaking the lines and kicking with more penetration.

Reply #35
Doc to come in for Fisher probably. Cincotta, Kemp and Gov for general defensive duties while Sydney worry about the trio of Newman, Doc and Saad.

Reply #36
24 disposals, 78% time on ground, Disposal efficiency 70.8%. I don't think he'll be dropped from the 23.

I thought that Cuningham stepped up in Crippa’s absence and played his best game of the season.

He would be stiff to miss out against the Swans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
I thought that Cuningham stepped up in Crippa’s absence and played his best game of the season.

He would be stiff to miss out against the Swans.

Couldn't agree more. Can't see him being dropped. So many of his touches are quality and quick releases, not obvious. Important player.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #38
A very timely reminder that was reminiscent of earlier in the season when we weren't applying pressure in the midfield and were allowing our opponents to run free.  Without that pressure and attack on the player/ball, the giants were able to dissect our defensive set up.

Fisher got a fair bit of the ball but might have played himself out of the finals team because he doesn't perform Saad's role as well as Saad does.  There are probably better defensive-minded players who could be selected to free up Saad to do his thing by breaking the lines and kicking with more penetration.

Yep. When the real heat came, Zachery was found wanting. Boyd/Doc offers more heat in the clinches, at body and ball. That goal that Zachery gave away was pure panic on the wrong foot.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #39
Couldn't agree more. Can't see him being dropped. So many of his touches are quality and quick releases, not obvious. Important player.
He's a silky player. Seems to have gotten more midfield time last match. He's the guy we can use as our receiver in the centre bounces and has blistering pace to burn. Not to mention a bloody fine kick too.

Reply #40

I think that's the key with a player like Cunningham.
It also applies to Binns in the VFL.

If you asked me how many touches he had last night I would have said probably around 10.
Same with Binns, you don't really notice the impact, but you look down at the stat sheet and 'bang' he's had another half dozen while you weren't looking.

Reply #41
The one ruckman ploy should be dead and buried now. JSOS is unlikely so Pittonet simply has to play. Harry is not, and never has been, a ruckman. Easily pushed out of the contest and coming back off a knee injury that was a risk IMO. If nothing else, Harry can play as a high forward and push up the ground...early in the season when he wasn't kicking goals, he was taking a lot of contested marks up the ground.

Fisher's run as a defender should also be over. If we want to play another small defender, I'd have Boyd in there ahead of Fisher...uses the ball much better. Fisher is very one sided and he got caught out a few times.

Hopefully Acres and Weitering are both good to go. On the assumption that they both are, I'd have Cripps, Doc, Pittonet and Motlop back in. Fisher, Fogarty, Durdin and one other out.....maybe Dow gets pushed to sub and Marchbank goes out? Although Sydney can load up with McDonald, Amartey and McLean so Marchbank might be an option.

I thought Dow was good early yesterday and showed some good breakaway pace but was caught out after half time.

Reply #42
The one ruckman ploy should be dead and buried now. JSOS is unlikely so Pittonet simply has to play. Harry is not, and never has been, a ruckman. Easily pushed out of the contest and coming back off a knee injury that was a risk IMO. If nothing else, Harry can play as a high forward and push up the ground...early in the season when he wasn't kicking goals, he was taking a lot of contested marks up the ground.

Fisher's run as a defender should also be over. If we want to play another small defender, I'd have Boyd in there ahead of Fisher...uses the ball much better. Fisher is very one sided and he got caught out a few times.

Hopefully Acres and Weitering are both good to go. On the assumption that they both are, I'd have Cripps, Doc, Pittonet and Motlop back in. Fisher, Fogarty, Durdin and one other out.....maybe Dow gets pushed to sub and Marchbank goes out? Although Sydney can load up with McDonald, Amartey and McLean so Marchbank might be an option.

I thought Dow was good early yesterday and showed some good breakaway pace but was caught out after half time.

He chance of fitting Kennedy back in???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #43
Phantom....Kennedy would replace Dow but probably nobody else. But he will have missed a lot of footy by the time the first final comes around so might not be worth the risk. I thought Dow showed some glimpses yesterday with breakaway pace and centre clearances but let himself down a couple of times with brain fades....ducked into a tackle looking for high contact and then giving away that 50m which cost a goal.

Reply #44
old Carlton back long bomb into F50 only to watch opposition run it out or my 2nd fav the long bomb from fullback kick ins only to watch ball come straight back ,i hope this changes v swanetts.