Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 9881 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Beating them will be proof that we have what it takes to win a pressure game in finals. The players confidence would be sky high after a win here. Beating a side that has been there before will be a decent scalp. Now we just have to find a way to make it happen. I don’t care how and with which players in the side. Surely Voss will know what to say to have our boys ready for this challenge.

I agree..................if we beat them. The lacklustre effort last night, however people may want to spin it, would give me pause for thought.

Reply #16
Will laugh if Weiters gets a fine and Toby cops a week for a dangerous tackle. It certainly looked dangerous, hence the remonstration from the Carlton players.

Acres would be a huge loss. If that happens, I can see us playing Doc up the ground and possibly on the wing.

I think Motlop comes back in as his form in the last few weeks was very good. Can't see us going with all 4 of him, Durdin, Owies and Fogarty so at least one misses out.

Reply #17
Will laugh if Weiters gets a fine and Toby cops a week for a dangerous tackle. It certainly looked dangerous, hence the remonstration from the Carlton players.

Acres would be a huge loss. If that happens, I can see us playing Doc up the ground and possibly on the wing.

I think Motlop comes back in as his form in the last few weeks was very good. Can't see us going with all 4 of him, Durdin, Owies and Fogarty so at least one misses out.

Weiters and Toby will just get fines, the AFL want star players playing in Finals. Well I'm guessing on Weiters but Toby is a lock.
Durdin out, Motlop in.
Acres will be okay, it's 2 weeks away, just looked like he was unprepared for the knock on the arm and the flex it took, it certainly wasn't enough of a hit to break something.
I'm worried about Harry. Not kicking goals, not taking marks?
He is just good at taking a defender away from Charlie. But if that is his role then it's the role he plays.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #18
 I am concerned that Harry's return isn't an automatic bonus for the forward line.

When Harry was out injured our midfield and small forwards seemed to be released from the predictable entry into the forward line of looking for either Harry or Charlie who nearly always led to the flanks.  Instead, players went straight down the middle and were prepared to kick for goal from within the fifty metre arc, putting immediate pressure on the opposition defence.  Our goals to points scored ratio improved and there was an immediate lift in the performances of Fogarty, Motlop, Martin and Owies.

As an example, in the Collingwood match Cincotta took a mark on the fifty metre arc, just went back and kicked a goal instead of trying to short pass.

My concern is that Harry's return will make it easier for the opposition defence if we return to the predictable method of entry into the forward line.

Reply #19
I am concerned that Harry's return isn't an automatic bonus for the forward line.

When Harry was out injured our midfield and small forwards seemed to be released from the predictable entry into the forward line of looking for either Harry or Charlie who nearly always led to the flanks.  Instead, players went straight down the middle and were prepared to kick for goal from within the fifty metre arc, putting immediate pressure on the opposition defence.  Our goals to points scored ratio improved and there was an immediate lift in the performances of Fogarty, Motlop, Martin and Owies.

As an example, in the Collingwood match Cincotta took a mark on the fifty metre arc, just went back and kicked a goal instead of trying to short pass.

My concern is that Harry's return will make it easier for the opposition defence if we return to the predictable method of entry into the forward line.
It looked like we went back to kick and hope, just kick it to a contest instead of honoring leads, or even making space and leading.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #20
Luckily the AFL are an entertainment industry and will want more blokes playing than not in finals.  Reckon weiters will be fined at worst as he is a relatively clean skin on the tribunal front.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #21
Perhaps a return trip to Ed Curnow's house might be in order, just to remind the boys about how they got on the winning  run in the first place.

Reply #22
I'll be gobsmacked if any players get a holiday for the stuff that happened over the weekend, for a final it would be ridiculous to suspend anyone.

Unless of course the MRO is on a kickback from the Tribunal panel looking for a supplementary income, as which time the players will get weeks before being cleared after some serious Harrumphing and other media showboating!

In the meantime if you wish to save yourself much duress, stop listening to the rock-throwing sadists who take shameful joy from report nothing but doom, gloom and despair to Carlton fans.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
I agree..................if we beat them. The lacklustre effort last night, however people may want to spin it, would give me pause for thought.

It's not 'spin' if you predict it before the game. :D

Reply #24
I'm a bit shocked fans thought the GWS game might go some other way. The moment it made no different to us I'm not sure it was so much a shock as a study in human behaviour.

When it mattered for Charlie we were on, a few vying for a spot in 11 days time played out the full 4-qtrs, some who have particular pride of performance also played 4-qtrs.

Otherwise, I thought the Acres injury compounded the outcome and really put the wind up the bulk of the group, and the majority basically wound down a gear.

That is the psychology of this time of year in dead rubbers, and it can do your head in.

Oddly, in my experience it's going half-ar5ed that increases the likelihood of a bad event happening, or for you to picked off on the fringes like a weak member of a herd.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
harry M,to rip the swans apart and prove his worth his due for a big game now

Reply #26
Acres cleared of a fracture so is every chance to play V Syd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
I expect Cripps, Docherty, Pittonett and Motlop to play. If Weitering is suspended then Marchbank will replace him but if he is not then there will be a choice between Marchbank and Cincotta. Motlop will replace Durdin and Docherty will replace Acres and if Pittonett comes in then TDK will go forward and there will be a choice between Fogarty and  Cuningham. I think Cottrell will go up to the wing which means there will be a choice between Dow and Hewitt. I think Dow will be the sub.
A number of players are going to miss out who are probably deserving of a game which is both good and unfortunate.
We need to turn up with the right attitude and if we do we should win.

Reply #28

I think the form of Owies dictates we look to hit him up on the lead if he is available and likewise Martin is another target if he is one out with an opponent who he can outmark. Harry will get less opportunities but can still be useful in dragging players away from Charlie and being productive up the ground. I wasnt disappointed in his work when played as the second ruck vs GWS mainly for his ability to get involved in general play rather than his ruckwork which was about as good as the opposing novice second ruck in Keefe in which they both cancelled each other out.
Saying all that the Swans are very undersized down back and Id expect Harry to spend his time down forward this week and his big height advantage should have him prominent and in the goals given he should get less attention than Charlie who will probably be double teamed.

Reply #29
I think the form of Owies dictates we look to hit him up on the lead if he is available and likewise Martin is another target if he is one out with an opponent who he can outmark. Harry will get less opportunities but can still be useful in dragging players away from Charlie and being productive up the ground. I wasnt disappointed in his work when played as the second ruck vs GWS mainly for his ability to get involved in general play rather than his ruckwork which was about as good as the opposing novice second ruck in Keefe in which they both cancelled each other out.
Saying all that the Swans are very undersized down back and Id expect Harry to spend his time down forward this week and his big height advantage should have him prominent and in the goals given he should get less attention than Charlie who will probably be double teamed.
I thought Harry showed everyone why he hasn't been used in the ruck, because he is clueless at it. If he is to be used, he needs a lot of work with Kruze if he is to be of any use. Harry's strengths are work rate, getting up the ground clunking marks as an outlet when the game is in the balance and as you say providing space for Charlie. He can get off the chain and score, we need to be patient with him and use him correctly and that's not in the ruck. Being 200+cm doesn't automatically qualify one to be a ruckman.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time