Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney  (Read 4543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Elimination Final 1 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #15
Our defence was very solid all night. Weiters and kemp were pillars all night and structurally we are very sound down back. Had a few nervous moments late but overall and esp early on when the heat was on we looked composed and made it against an experienced finals team very difficult to score. Many including me were critical on Voss with his gameplan early in the year focusing so much on defence and in the biggest game for the last 10 years our defence was very reliable and consistent. 

Credit where credit is due. Hats off to you Voss.

Reply #16
Swans are a well coached quality side. Absolutely thrilled with that win. We'll learn so much. Some of my highlights..
- Doc' opening goal
- the contested dominance
- high pressure
- ability to absorb Swans high pressure
- shining performance by those lesser
stars
- non reliance on bigger names
- ability to bounce back or at least hold firm when Swans got a run
- final siren celebrations
- the attitude of every player across 4q
- BT having to be nice to the winners

Such an amazing couple of months. Kudos to Vossy and the entire club for staying the course 👏🏼

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
Great tough win to hold on.
We are in good hands with Cerra and Walsh leading the midfield next 10 years
Alot of wtf moments and alot of moments where defensive hardness and brutality won the game.
Harry is a definite out.
Saw the replay with Martin and that looked like a high free kick in a football action.. So I think he should play despite media going nuts over it.
Hoping SOS is good to go.

Reply #18
That game nearly made me pass out! Why do we make such hard work of it?! Had H put that gimme in front of goals Away, I feel like we would’ve annihilated them. Instead they get a run on 🤦🏻‍♀️

Unbelievable Martin down back, thank you sir In those last few minutes!! Newman a mark on their f50 😅 Crippas goal, Cerras goal, Cotters at one stage seemingly the only one holding his nerve and keeping his brain!

Swans were always going to come back and see us defend it to the death, unbelievable. Did Charlie get one free kick from being constantly held? Don’t think so.

We are ON next week - we have nothing to lose, shackles will be off, I feel good about it, Go Blues
💪🏼

Reply #19
Well that was a heart stopper, I was pretty laid back and calm all week and during the game but that last quarter was tough. I kept thinking 2022 all over again, led all night and would get it pinched from us. Thankfully they held on.
I thought Acres was mighty, his work rate is off the charts.
Weiters, Saad and Kemp were supermen in defence.
Walsh was superb in the middle.
Harry made the selectors job easy next week, just before he went off I said to my daughter "he is in danger of getting dropped if we make it to next week". I get that structurally he gives us something but as a key fwd, your job is to kick goals, not miss them from the goal square.
I just looked at the stats, 19 frees a piece. Before I looked I thought it would be heavily in Syd's favour. I thought the umpiring was atrocious and appeared to favour Syd watching at the ground. Frees given to their fwds were not given to ours (I felt).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
Sat in the goal square with all the ferals at the Punt Rd end. Unreal atmosphere. Loved it. CARNA BLUE BAGGERS!

Reply #21
Tonight was one of those almost games from H. he got his hands on the ball a lot, but didn't quite pull in the marks. His kicking at goal was diabolical. But his size and strength were creating problems for Sydney. When he went off, we lacked a tall target: when Charlie led out, there was no other timber to kick to. It allowed Sydney to make a lot of turnovers in our forward 50.
I am sure that he would have been a lot better next week, but for his concussion. Losing him is going to cause a number of structural issues for us in the forward half.
Option 1 is Jack Silvagni, but how fit he is remains the issue.
Option 2 is moving Kemp forward and bringing up either Young or Sam Durdin. Durdin's body strength would have been handy at times, as the Sydney tall forwards took some clutch marks after half time.
I like the way Kemp is developing in defence, but we are short of guys who can replace H. Lemmey is a long way off, and he is the only other one who plays that role.
Option 3: Play Matthew Kennedy forward. He can take a decent grab and has depth in his kicking.

I'm not sure I like any of our choices, but I can't think of anything else.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
Tonight was one of those almost games from H. he got his hands on the ball a lot, but didn't quite pull in the marks. His kicking at goal was diabolical. But his size and strength were creating problems for Sydney. When he went off, we lacked a tall target: when Charlie led out, there was no other timber to kick to. It allowed Sydney to make a lot of turnovers in our forward 50.
I am sure that he would have been a lot better next week, but for his concussion. Losing him is going to cause a number of structural issues for us in the forward half.
Option 2 is moving Kemp forward and bringing up either Young or Sam Durdin. Durdin's body strength would have been handy at times, as the Sydney tall forwards took some clutch marks after half time.
I like the way Kemp is developing in defence, but we are short of guys who can replace H. Lemmey is a long way off, and he is the only other one who plays that role.
Option 3: Play Matthew Kennedy forward. He can take a decent grab and has depth in his kicking.

I don't share your optimism that Harry would be better next week if he were able to play.

Leaving aside that in the Swan's match he was once again a motivation killer, the fact is that since his return to the side we have gone back to the same old predictable approach of entry into the forward line, namely, coming around the flanks and kicking long to the forward line.

During the time he was out injured our plan of attack was quite different - bringing the ball through the centre corridor as quickly as possible, denying the opposition backmen the chance to settle, and allowing our small forwards freedom of movement.

If he is not available for selection against Melbourne, I hope we return to the plan which has brought us success.

Reply #23
Kennedy and Silvagni make sense to be in the side if possible. Both have great work ethics and defensive abilities along with goal kicking skill. Great win. If we didn’t have a few of those what  f@#k the moments at point blank range, it would not have been a nail biting close result. We must take the good with the good/bad. Enjoy the win and move to the next contest. We haven’t been in this situation for so long that we need to embrace the glory of victory. I hope Cripps ribs are good. He looked like they are bothering him. Woohoo for now. Woooohooooo.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #24

You must have been the bloke sitting next me last night, at one point he turns to me and says "tonight is an almost game for H"  ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #25
Harry's miss from directly in front was a momentum changer.
I wonder whether the noise (and advice) about his around the corner kicking has him all over the shop.
Pretty sure he would have kicked it with the 'around the corner' but he would have been criticised for using it from that position.
Just let him do his thing.

The counter argument is that while that was a 'momentum changer', we were a lot poorer once he went off.
So, what was the greater problem..the miss or his absence.
He'll be missed next week against the Lever/ May combination

Acres was very good again but that shoulder is an issue.
As is Cripps's ribs...he's obviously playing injured...again.
By the way as good as Acres is don't forget to include an "Acres-out of bounds on the full" in your multis, it's a sure thing.

Until you play finals you don't really know which of your players stand up in these games.
Matty Cottrell...well done.
It's actually more likely you will get that performance from your 100% effort players.
I think Jack Silvagni would show something similar in finals.
I hope he gets the chance.
It's a bit of a concern no signing has been announced. I would have thought if they were going to do it, that it would have been done before last night's game, which could have potentially been our season over.
Obviously it's not a done deal yet.

Reply #26
Watched the Martin incident just then, I think he is gone. Smacked Blakey in the jaw the with this right fist, left arm isn't even in contact with Blakeys body in a tackle motion.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
Pretty crook with a bit of cold last night but still went to the game. After waiting so long not much would have stopped me. Another surreal atmosphere. So one-sided was the crowd that the noise was deafening when we scored and dead quiet when they did. Got home and watched it all again. Went to bed but this cold is getting me up early. Due to collapse soon but while I'm still coherent my thoughts on players games, for what it's worth.
Acres - Would suggest the difference between winning and losing this game. TWO on the line touches and kicks the match winning goal. Pretty decent output and under some duress I think. Also had his mandatory OOF. BOG
Cerra - Really close to BOG. Probably 2nd. Just does so much work and so hard at it.
Cincotta - Solid game.
Cottrell - One of the best. Massive work rate, kicks goals has really improved over the years.
Cripps - Relatively quiet by his standards and I think his ribs aren't quite right but he kicked a bloody goal! A couple of is turnovers were shocking as well. Hopefully each day his body gets a bit better. Need him big time next week.
Cuningham - Not a great game by Davie. His form has been down of late and may be under pressure to retain his spot next week, but he DID kick a goal!
De Koning - A really good game by TDK and probably could have kicked a couple but for some slack umpiring. His effort in the last to instigate our only goal was fantastic.
Docherty - OK without being outstanding. Played on Gulden at times which wasn't ideal, but was thereabouts.
Fogarty - Applies pressure and gets a run on the ball a fair bit. Voss obviously values him.
Hewett - Pretty damn good game by George. He been building well since his return to the team and is showing his old form. Let's hope he stays fit.
Kemp - Another solid backman and apart from one MAJOR stuff-up did well.
Marchbank - Surprised by how well he played. On that form he stays.
Martin - So very important to the team. If you had to rely on someone kicking for goal he'd be first cab off the rank. His last quarter defensively play was enormous (bar the ball rolling through his legs for the swans last goal). Hope he gets off but doubt it.
McGovern - Some good work by Mitch but he also had a major stuff-up that cost us a goal.
McKay - Had the first 2 goal assists of the game and I thought this could be his night but alas was not meant to be. Still think he is in our best 22 but the yips are proving to be extremely problematic.
Motlop - Zero impact, Which was disappointing given the conditions. Know he wasn't on for long but Paddy Dow does heaps more in similar circumstances.
Newman - Couple of crucial plays and when he took that last mark, the euphoria was overwhelming. Apart from one MAJOR stuff-up did well. Common theme here.
Owies - Only highlight for this bloke was his insane decision to try and handball while running into an open goal. Yes Vossy, WTF was he thinking. Only Motlop was less effective than he.
Pittonet - Hmmmmmm, battled hard. That's all I can say.
Saad - GREAT. One of his best games for quite some time and couldn't come at a better time. One of the only backmen who DIDN'T have a major stuff-up
Walsh - Really, really good game by the kid. I will say however at times he did choose the wrong option which concerns me but I'm probably a bit too critical.
Weitering - Probably the coolest of cucumbers in the chaos. When so many were panicking his class stood out.

Overall another great relief, but how many more of these can we all take? Funny, listening to the radio in the car on the way home there were multiple Swine supporters complaining about the umpiring? Couldn't see it myself. Wonder if Parket gets cited for his elbow to Newman's head in the 3rd that eventually resulted in a goal. No mention I can see. Funny that.
Our composure under pressure was terrible and that's a concern, but I think dry conditions suit us best so next week we'll hopefully be better.

Reply #29
For those on Facebook. Gotta love a designated bias call. Always the best....haha.

https://fb.watch/mXlwiGiPdZ/?mibextid=Nif5oz
Gold, Sellers at the end "Bye bye Swannies".
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th